Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen a Flying Saucer when sailing?
Nope, never seen nothing. 38 42.70%
Seen some weird stuff, but it wasn't aliens 27 30.34%
Yes 9 10.11%
Yes, and I was abducted and probed too 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 17:01   #46

Boat: Irwin sloop
While anchored in Shoal Harbor BC we were approached by a craft that seemed to be hovering about 5ft above the water. This was around 1am with no moon so all we could see were lights that seemed to encircle the craft. The lights were evenly spaced and a few feet apart aimed downward. There was a distinct humming sound and when it moved it was slow and deliberate, as though searching. My wife and I were starting to get nervous as it passed over our anchor and turned back toward the center of the harbor. It was at that point my marinized ear detected the faint whoosh-----whoosh----whoosh of a water cooled exhaust. It really had us going for a few minutes but it had to be some sort of fishing boat, herring ? squid ? not sure what but we still chuckle to ourselves when this topic comes up.

Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 17:35   #47

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Jesse, it could have been Klingons. OK, I will quit.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 19:35   #48

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
If I get some free time (and money), I've got a great UFO hoax that's about 85% planned. I can't give away the details here, since I'm holding out hope that if successful, I can publish a book.
anotherT34C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 23:54   #49

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
When I split with my girlfriend she threw a lot of things at me, pretty sure one of them was a flying saucer.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 08:57   #50

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Triangle UFO at Catalina

I had to join this thread. My wife and I were on a mooring at Catalina Isthmus one November and after dark we decided to sit outside. The winds were blowing from the stern so we went to the bow and tucked in under the flyingbridge brow. We were sitting there looking at the night sky and it was so clear we could see the mainland and the airplanes taking off from LAX.

They would fly about 10 miles off the coast before turning back to fly to their destination. There was only one cloud in the sky and it ran the length of the coast about mid channel. My wife looked up and there was a huge red pulsating light coming into view almost directly above us. She called my attention to it and as the craft came into full view there were about 7 lights total and they made a triangle.

My first thought was helicopters. It was totally silent and so low we knew that wasn't so. As I watched it I could see the stars disappear as it passed so I determined it was a solid one piece craft. The size was so huge it looked to be 2 to 3 times bigger than a 747 to me. It was traveling at what I guess to be a 500' altitude and was climbing but going at maybe 35 to 40 Kts. It was slow.

We were stunned and as we watched it I kept saying someone has to see this too. I looked at the only 3 other boats and all lights were off inside. The planes coming from LAX were on a head on course to this craft and we were saying we bet there will be fighter jets soon.

This lasted for at least 20 min and actually we stopped the continuous watching but were still watching. Then when that craft came into the area of that cloud, the lights went off and we couldn't see it anymore.

Google triangle UFO. We aren't the only ones who have seen one. I am mad I didn't grab my camera. It was so close to us it was scary.

No, I didn't get abducted. I don't wear a tin hat. I only sat outside one Nov evening and saw this thing. My bro-in-law worked at NASA and I asked my sister about it but he won't say anything. My thought is, if it came from here, why are we flying in jet planes?
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 11:56   #51
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flying saucers? UFOs? Space aliens? Relax! John Hodgman explains all:

John Hodgman's brief digression | Video on TED.com

TaoJones
Old 27-10-2008, 08:59   #52

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
You should have been at Catalina that night.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:32   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I was a teenage UFO. It involved a purloined weather balloon and some dangling penlights, caused a bit of a stir in Panama City Florida, was never 'officially explained' (probably to protect the guilty), but got me and two buddies into a whole heap of trouble. Not my worst prank at that!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 11:12   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHead View Post
You should have been at Catalina that night.
Perhaps I was. PM on its way.

TaoJones
Old 27-10-2008, 13:37   #55
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I sorta subscribe to the theory based on the movie "Contact"

They are out there but we definitely are not interesting to them...

We kill each other and destroy our planet. Anything we learn or discover is judged by it's ability to kill others - nuclear power, airplanes, submarines, space travel. You name it. If it can't kill people we don't fund it.

Our history is predominantly about discovering other cultures and invading them, bending them to our will or killing them in wars. We don't have a lot of history study based on the furtherance of the human condition. Oh, yeah. That we call science.

Any life forms that could come and visit us from beyond our known sphere would have no interest in the likes of us.

We are the exit on Galaxy's highway where you definitely don't want to get off.

How about every alien movie we have ever made. We either kill them or want to disect them. I thnk if greezlpop arrives from the trinity galaxy we will have little chance of outsmarting him - LOL. What an arrogant bunch we are - ha ha...

Sorry - got on a bit of a rant there
Ok, I have to agree why would anyone with enough smarts to traverse the universe want to openly expose themselves to a waring people like us. I also agree that we are being very arogant to assume we could be the only life forms in the universe. "It is a vast universe" is an understatement to be sure.
Now think on this...
Suppose there are others who have the ability to visit distant parts of the universe. Could it be possible that they would also have the ability to appear or dissapear at will (yes, a cloaking device of sorts). Perhaps just alter magnetically or electrically the atmosphere around them. There are atmosphereic conditions which limit our vision greatly yet appear to be clear open air to us. It is also possible that to travle beyond our atmosphere you can move faster than light with the right propulsion system as there is no friction in "space".
I have seen a few unexplainable things in the sky and do have to wonder their nature, as has my wife, who by the way says if you watch the end of the movie "Jaws" where they are waiting for the last encounter with the shark, you can see objects in the sky behind the Sheriff moving at a high rate of speed. She says there are three of them. I don't own the movie so I can not verify that. But who am I to question my wife's judgement, look who she married!
Old 27-10-2008, 14:52   #56

Well... I look at it this way;

Assume for a minute that there are no aliens visiting Earth now or ever in the past. What would that look like? There would still be some unexplained phenomena (supposed sightings, abduction reports, accusations of government coverups, etc...) with no hard corroborating evidence. Now consider, how is the current situation any different?

Best guess? Aliens are not visiting Earth now or ever in the past.

I do find abduction reports interesting, however. I think they have much in common with many accounts of religious experience, and may be symptoms of a common cause(s).
Old 27-10-2008, 14:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
It is also possible that to travle beyond our atmosphere you can move faster than light with the right propulsion system as there is no friction in "space".
It's not friction that stops you, it's the way the laws of nature are set up. Strictly speaking, space plus time are in a combined geometry, and the unchangeable 'velocity' of every object through that four dimensional space is exactly the speed of light. You can never go faster or slower than the speed of light. In physics-speak, you can only 'boost', trading some of one for another. Faster through space equals slower through time, and vice versa.
Old 27-10-2008, 15:26   #58
Shu

I can remember a time (in the 50's) when dragster drivers said you could not exceed 150 mph in a quarter mile or it would kill you.
We see where that went.
You cannot exceed the speed of light because you have never done it. But maybe THEY have.
Not trying to start an argument, butthe worlds not flat either.
Old 27-10-2008, 16:16   #59

[quote=Shu;219040]I can remember a time (in the 50's) when dragster drivers said you could not exceed 150 mph in a quarter mile or it would kill you. We see where that went.[\quote]

Interesting turn of events because I would be quite sure that you would find a far greater percentage of dragsters that believe that the speed of light can be exceeded than you would find physicists with the same view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
but the worlds not flat either.
Science has never believed that the world was flat, only some of the non scientific ever believed that and only the non scientific now promote that science once believed it to be flat, usually in order to try and discredit science in some way .

As far back as Babylonian and ancient Greek astronomy in the times of priest/scribes and philosophers, so before science as we know it, it was known that the Earth was a sphere. In fact its circumference was measured at least as far back as around 250BC by Erastoshenes to an accuracy of around 5-10% (our uncertainty as to his exact result is due to our not knowing the exact conversion from the unit of measure, "stades", used at that time).

Warp speed, Mr Sulu!
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 16:43   #60
Shu

Peoples views of what can be accomplished are much different now than 50 + yeares ago, and although there is definately much to thank science for there are those who while the scientist argue and study simply go and do. Maybe they were never told they couldn't do it or maybe they just got lucky, but advancements come in leaps brought on by slow periods of study.
It will be done my friends, Some day someone will find the way to exceed the speed of light and perhaps, just perhaps the government already knows how but doesn't want to tell us about the alien technology they have reverse engenered.
If you study crossing the field you will never get there unless you believe you can and intend to prove it.