Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2009, 23:01   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Funny Flashlight Fiasco (Telling on Myself)

I have one of those Pelican Saberlight Flashlights....the pricey one that is lime green and uses 3 "C" cells.

Over a two months I changed the batteries...the light didn't work. Threw it in the top of the tool box in the truck and said I'll get a new bulb.
Well West Marine doesn't carry them any more.....and the light just sat in the tool chest.....I looked at it every day and said well...next time I am in Annapolis.....Been to Annapolis 7 or eight times in the Past two months...never stopped to get a bulb assembly.

Today...I stopped a Fawcetts.....they had the bulb...it looked a little different.....put it in and light didn't work....when I took it apart, the little spring that touches the battery was stuck to the end of the battery

Well I took the light apart and gues what? I had the batteries in bass-ackwards.

I had my company logo sweatshirt and hat on and I exclaimed for those in line....Jeeze do I feel stupid AND I ARE A Mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those in line got a good laugh as well as the salesman.

He said I could write a book about what I have seen in this business.

It is good to laugh at oneself

Thank you for letting me share
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 02:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post

Those in line got a good laugh as well as the salesman.
As did I

The simplest of things trap the best of us CE. Luckily for both us us we can laugh at our own stupidity. Yes, you are far from alone in doing things like you did

Yesterday we had a big steel beam across the shop floor that is part of our new gantry going up. As it was at head hight I thought I should hang something very visible on it just to make sure no idiot walked into it in the mean time. I told all the lads to watch out for the beam while I went and got a fluro jacket from the back room. When walking back 1 minute later I was pondering the low state of some of our stock only to walk smack into the beam and lay myself out flat on the floor. times a lot

The lads took great pleasure in reminding me, while laughing like a pack of rabid Hyenas, I am the site 'Safety Officer'.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 06:45   #3

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
Good story Chief!
Reminds me of my own mental lapses. Last year I was framing my basement to finish it, things were going well and my new air nailer was making the job much easier. I had all the walls up and was framing in and furring the windows using 2.75” nails. No problem with 2 2x4s installing the jack studs, etc. But one stud was a bit off so I ripped a .75” piece to scab on. Held it up with my left hand to the 2x4 and squeezed the trigger of the nailer. Just as I did I felt a peculiar feeling in my left little finger. As I peered around to look at it I saw the end of the nail protruding through it at the 2nd joint. I thought to myself “this is going to hurt” as I pulled my finger off the nail. I was not wrong. Held a rag around it to stop the bleeding, profusely cursing my stupidity. Needless to say work stopped for the day as I self medicated.
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 01:23   #4

Sure got a laugh out of that guys.

Some years ago I was working at an engineering workshop (I'm a boilermaker by trade). I had set myself up on a good solid work bench and had fassioned a jig to do some smaller fabrication work. I would tack weld together the parts and weld them later.

Now I was using an industrial strength earth clamp, not one of those little clips that are supplied on home welders, this sucker needed a 2 handed grip on it to open. This I had clipped to the 3 inch thick front edge of the workbench. Right were I could lean agaist it everytime I reached over to pick up a new piece for tacking in position. Eventually it had worked itself over to the very edge of the work bench.

I had been working steadily for 2-3 hours when.......

As I said this thing had some spring in it, the noise of it snapping shut was heard by all in close proximity and I went down on my knees. You guessed it, my favourite piece of male equipment was right in the grip of these vicous jaws of genre levelling evil.

As I said, all those in close proximity heard it and my yell had alerted the rest of the crew, so as I peered up from the ground through tear blurred vision I could see 15 or so so called workmates falling over themselves in mirth and hillarity.

Fotunately there was no serious damage but I was "out of action" for a while.
Live to Dive is offline   Reply With Quote