Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15   #151

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Opinions were poloarized - indeed, while owners of cars such as the Austin Healey and Mini Cooper extolled the handling, steering and breaking advantages of their cars over domestic products, they were often blind to the lack of creature comforts and reliability that went hand in hand.
Sigmund, your slip is showing!

"Breaking advantages"...har har...
Old 09-07-2009, 16:25   #152

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mantis View Post
Sigmund, your slip is showing!

"Breaking advantages"...har har...
You beat me to it.

LOLOL
Old 09-07-2009, 17:28   #153

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I have had several friends find the Jeep nod/wave odd. It's quite similar to the things you've mentioned. It's so common that I have to say I find myself somewhat insulted (not intentionally) if someone else in a Jeep doesn't wave.

Old 09-07-2009, 22:36   #154

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Translation of some words from one nation to another causes raised eye brows.

Pop is a generic name given to any fizzy or soft drink.
Whisky is only made in Scotland, but not known as Scotch by us.
Sticky tape or scotch tape is known by the brand name in uk of Sellotape, which in Australia is a brand of rubber(condom)
A rubber in the uk is a pencil eraser.
Americans call an electric shock a "bang"
So when you guys tell us with great surprise that you had a great bang, we are also surprised by your reference to a sexual encounter.

We do Hoover a lot. Seems appropriate that J Edgar should lend his name to a bag of crap.
Old 09-07-2009, 22:59   #155

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
As for "granny bars", they are called "Fanny Bars" around these parts..

And theres another one of those words that has a whole different meaning
Old 09-07-2009, 23:46   #156
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Translation of some words from one nation to another causes raised eye brows.

Pop is a generic name given to any fizzy or soft drink.
Whisky is only made in Scotland, but not known as Scotch by us.
Sticky tape or scotch tape is known by the brand name in uk of Sellotape, which in Australia is a brand of rubber(condom)
A rubber in the uk is a pencil eraser.
Americans call an electric shock a "bang"
So when you guys tell us with great surprise that you had a great bang, we are also surprised by your reference to a sexual encounter.

We do Hoover a lot. Seems appropriate that J Edgar should lend his name to a bag of crap.
I have to take exception to a few of your assertions, Anjou.

- Whiskey (American and Irish preferred spelling) is not "only made in Scotland." It is made everywhere. See: Whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The whiskey made in Scotland is called Scotch by all but the Brits, who think that "whisky" always refers to what others call Scotch, but there are many whiskeys made from many grains. If the Brits are unaware of this, and have never tried other whiskeys, they haven't lived.

- Scotch tape is an American brand name for pressure-sensitive cellophane tape manufactured by 3M, and the name has a pejorative origin. See: Scotch Tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- I am 61 and have never heard another American call an electric shock anything but an electric shock, or, just shock (the electric part is understood.) I have not once heard an American call an electric shock a "bang." A sexual encounter is referred to as a bang by many, along with countless other clever names. The term "more bang for the buck" simply refers to military high explosives, and the cost associated with producing them. It has come to be applied whenever someone desires "more" of anything while spending as judiciously as possible.

- J. Edgar Hoover has no association with the Hoover vacuum cleaner, whatsoever. Hoover is an American floor-care company that dates from the early 1900s. See: The Hoover Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A vacuum is for removing dust and debris from floor surfaces, mostly, but is primarily for cleaning carpeting. Thus, the contents of a vacuum are not "crap" as that word is generally applied. Your understanding and usage of "crap" may be different than mine.

I'm reminded of the Mark Twain quote: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

TaoJones
Old 09-07-2009, 23:58   #157

Boat: Dreaming
Hi Anjou,
I have never heard of Sellotape being a condom brand in Australia.
Durex may be what you are thinking of.

GW
Old 10-07-2009, 01:34   #158
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Wattle View Post
Hi Anjou,
I have never heard of Sellotape being a condom brand in Australia.
Durex may be what you are thinking of.

GW
I heard it was "XXXX" brand of Condoms and of course XXXX Beer! With the TV ad "I can feel a 4X coming on!"

Mark
(Currently drinking VB after a hard day doing SFA!!!!!!!)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-07-2009, 02:03   #159

In the 60's Marshall McLuhan spoke of the 'global village' - of the inevitable effect of high-speed international travel and communication. While we are not quite there yet, surely no one can deny at least a 'trend' towards globailization. We are all the beneficiaries of an explosion in access to international artists, film, food, wine and liquor, fashion and technology. In short, as time goes on, I suspect that the famous French expression 'Vive la difference!' will become largely an historical footnote.

Brad[/quote]

I have to agree. Once you could go to another country and actually experience their culture, even on a short visit.

Now, no matter where you go, there's a Macca's a pizza hut and a KFC on every other corner. I spent some time near Jinan in China, crowds of people would stop and stare at me in the street (discreetly I hasten to add but visible none the less) as they had either never seen a foriegner (low wey) or very rarely and yet there were KFC's there. The travel experience I'm afraid is dying entity.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50   #160
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
- J. Edgar Hoover has no association with the Hoover vacuum cleaner, whatsoever. Hoover is an American floor-care company that dates from the early 1900s. See: The Hoover Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A vacuum is for removing dust and debris from floor surfaces, mostly, but is primarily for cleaning carpeting. Thus, the contents of a vacuum are not "crap" as that word is generally applied. Your understanding and usage of "crap" may be different than mine.
Americans take things a little bit too much at face value
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... I am 61 and have never heard another American call an electric shock anything but an electric shock, or, just shock (the electric part is understood.) I have not once heard an American call an electric shock a "bang."...
I got a jolt, jolted, or zapped often refers to an electric shock, in North America. A very mild shock is often called a tingle.
These slang terms may be slightly more common among electricians, that the general public.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:30   #162
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Goes to show what happens when you don't proof-read, although as you point out, most 'foreign' cars of that era had advantages in both braking and breaking.

While we are at it, I just noted another typo in the same passage - " 'polo' arized". Interestingly (or not) that typo also works on another level - lets face it, the opinions of some from that era concerning cars were based less upon what was practical, than upon what made a fashion statement.

While we are at it, there is also the famous 'poloponies' line from Ralph Cramden (any Honeymooner's fans out there - I mean, that was a slice of early 50's 'culture' , if anything was). So yes, now that I think of it, opinions at that time were poloarized!

Brad
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54   #163
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tj, something like ten years ago Mercury did a lot of radio ads for their new "Mystique". And chose an actor who kept calling it the "Mercury Mistake".

Then there's a thick-tongued fellow who does tv ads for AllState (insurance) who delivers a tag line that might be "you're in good hands" or "you're in good stan" because his accent, plus the tag line's abstract logic, are just unintelligible. (They've changed that recently.)

Where's Tom Brokaw when you need him? Folks think enunciation must be a painful medical procedure. I still shudder to recall Jimmy Carter talking about being a "knee-ook-le-ah" engineer in the Navy. Personally, I wouldn't let someone play with a reactor unless they could call it by the correct name, but fortunately he got promoted to management. Hmmm....
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43   #164
Armchair Bucketeer

Talking about cross cultural adverts.......

A year or 2 back a US airline (United?) was showing a series of TV adverts in the UK featuring a loud, oversized and demanding new yorker, with the selling point that they were used to meeting the expectations of very demanding passengers.

I am sure I was not the only person who decided NOT to travel on an aircraft with a high risk of sitting next to folk like that
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Talking about cross cultural adverts.......

A year or 2 back a US airline (United?) was showing a series of TV adverts in the UK featuring a loud, oversized and demanding new yorker, with the selling point that they were used to meeting the expectations of very demanding passengers.

I am sure I was not the only person who decided NOT to travel on an aircraft with a high risk of sitting next to folk like that
In addition to which; United Airlines Breaks Guitars

United Breaks Guitars | Dave Carroll Music.com

Closed Thread

Tags
funny