Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53   #1

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Ghana Stories and Pictures

Hi Folks,

This is really off topic and is probably bending the CF rules a bit but I am hoping to get (hopefully positive) stories and pictures of Ghana and I wondered if anyone has visited there could share their impressions, please?

Why do I ask? Well, as winter project when the boat is on the hard I have agreed to raise funds to help build a school through a Canadian charity but I have to admit that aside from a kick-ass/soccer football team, I don't know very much about Ghana except what I have read in UNICEF reports (that will put you to sleep ).

I am running this as a facebook campaign so I thought if there was ground level, or at least, shoreline view of the country that it would make it more real. In particular, I am interested in stories about the people, the children and the services that exist or do not exist for that population. If you have experience working there with a charity that is even better.

My thinking is that I would link facebook back to this thread to provide that human side of the discussion. Just to be clear, I am not profiting from this in any way except for the satisfaction of helping out.

My apologies if this is too off base in which case it is okay to remove the thread...

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 09-11-2011, 05:31   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Re: Ghana Stories and Pictures

Very corrupt country, black market on their currency.

As soon as you get off the plane they ask for your dollars
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ghana Stories and Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
Very corrupt country, black market on their currency.

As soon as you get off the plane they ask for your dollars
Find there's a black market for foriegn currency in a lot of third world countries... sometimes get near treble the exchange rate for your $, Ł's.... doubles more the norm..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16   #4

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

In some of these countries breaking the currency exchange laws can get you into serious trouble. There are scams where you might be offered a great exchange rate and swap some currency, then are "arrested" by bogus (or even actual) officials who demand a bribe of more cash to keep quiet.
I haven't been there in years, but in the 80's it was not a bad place, compared to some of the others.
Steve W.
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Išve worked offshore Ghana, and of all the counties I have worked on the West African coast, Ghana was by far the most pleasent place to work.
The difference between Ghana and Nigeria is huge, for the first few days in Ghana I was waiting for the hassle to start, but it never did.
No problems getting into and out of the place either.
Just hope that recent oil and gas discoveries do not send it along the same path as it neighbours
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Išve worked offshore Ghana, and of all the counties I have worked on the West African coast, Ghana was by far the most pleasent place to work.
Thanks Nigel. I think a certain level of corruption is something that one may need to expect in third world countries but the key point is if that corruption is tolerated and how high up in the government does it go.

In your visits to Ghana, did you have a sense of what type of government it is and are they responsive to the needs of the people?

From what I have read, the government has initiated programs to improve access to education, such as getting rid of school fees, but that in turn has caused overcrowding and poor services. Too many children, too few schools, teachers and supplies.

Do you have any pictures from your time their?

Andrew
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Sorry, no pictures, most of my time was in the port of Tema.
However, talking to various locals, they seemed happy enough, and the town of Tema was very clean, nothing like some of the places in neighbouring countries.
From what I have read, and seen on various documentories, there are, or were issues with the cocoa industry. This I have heard is being cleaned up with a lot of importing companies now using fair trade policies.
Cannot help you with childrens education needs in Ghana, but the kids I saw there were all smartly turned out in school uniforms.
Company I work for does have a program of assisting education in WA countries that it operates in.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:08   #8

Quote:
Company I work for does have a program of assisting education in WA countries that it operates in.
Thanks for sharing, Nigel. It is good to hear of companies like yours that try to take wider view of things. I am sure it works well for both parties, the host country and the company both benefit in different ways and if more companies did that, the problems would not be as great.

In regards to schools, from what I have read, a large problem of access to education is in rural areas and small communities where services are too spread out to be effective. This is probably true in any country including Canada and the US.
Old 19-11-2011, 02:21   #9

Quote:
Sorry, no pictures, most of my time was in the port of Tema.
However, talking to various locals, they seemed happy enough, and the town of Tema was very clean, nothing like some of the places in neighbouring countries.
From what I have read, and seen on various documentories, there are, or were issues with the cocoa industry. This I have heard is being cleaned up with a lot of importing companies now using fair trade policies.
Cannot help you with childrens education needs in Ghana, but the kids I saw there were all smartly turned out in school uniforms.
The difference between Ghana and Nigeria is huge, for the first few days in Ghana I was waiting for the hassle to start, but it never did.
jasonvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 05:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jasonvin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 05:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jasonvin.
Thank you!
jasonvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 14:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvin View Post
Welcome aboard JasonVin. Were you there for work or vacation?