Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 15:14   #136

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Good News: Great Barrier Reef Recovering Nicely!

One quarter of a century into a climate emergency, where it's worst than we thought and multiple "tipping points" have come and gone and everywhere is warming twice as fast as everywhere else and where sea levels are rising exponentially and where a series of unprecedented natural disasters and weather patterns that haven't occurred within the past 40 or even 100 years have been wreaking havoc and, of course, where tropical reefs are dying like red shirts in a Star Trek flick.

And yet here we are. The sun still shines, the rain still falls and the birds still sing.
Old 05-08-2021, 15:47   #137

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Yes, reassuring news. Must be hard for so many to cope with.
Old 05-08-2021, 16:22   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
One quarter of a century into a climate emergency, where it's worst than we thought and multiple "tipping points" have come and gone and everywhere is warming twice as fast as everywhere else and where sea levels are rising exponentially and where a series of unprecedented natural disasters and weather patterns that haven't occurred within the past 40 or even 100 years have been wreaking havoc and, of course, where tropical reefs are dying like red shirts in a Star Trek flick.

And yet here we are. The sun still shines, the rain still falls and the birds still sing.
It's pretty easy to rattle off a bunch of vague assertions if you don't feel obliged to back them up with actual data.
Old 05-08-2021, 16:47   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good News: Great Barrier Reef Recovering Nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
I deeply wish that ACC was not true. I would love to go out and buy a nice sports car with a roaring V8 engine, jet around the world without concern,
Why don't you.???
That's what a lot of the Cheer Leaders of CC are doing.. seems to be the in thing shouting for one thing and doing the opposite..
Kinda like the pro Defund the Police Democrats who then boost their personal security budgets..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 05-08-2021, 16:52   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good News: Great Barrier Reef Recovering Nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yes, reassuring news. Must be hard for so many to cope with.
Its got me worried mate.. here in Coimbra its usually 40C this time of year and wildfires are raging in Portugal.. but its very rarely reached the low 30's and most of the time its been in the mid 20's.. I blame Earth Tilt..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 05-08-2021, 17:55   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
It's pretty easy to rattle off a bunch of vague assertions if you don't feel obliged to back them up with actual data.

So actual reality doesn't work for you, then?
Old 05-08-2021, 18:05   #142

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post

Old 05-08-2021, 18:31   #143

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:

Thanks so much for your profound insights and reassurances. Now we can all scamper off and ignore the problem because Reefmagnet tells us so.

At least now everyone on the thread knows you don't take this at all seriously.

Like the guy who falls off of a 20 story building and yells in the 10th floor window as he goes by "So far, so good!!!"
Old 05-08-2021, 18:46   #144

(Let me try this)
Wow! The deniers on this thread are doing better than I thought.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...nce_denial.svg
I think you guys have hit every one of these! Silly me to think I needed to enumerate them one by one as you sputtered and ranted. Here it is, all in one tidy picture!
Old 05-08-2021, 19:03   #145

Apologies again - here is the image (I hope).Click image for larger version

Name:	5_characteristics_of_science_denial_Small.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	243330
Old 05-08-2021, 19:12   #146

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
But when it comes to climate science, even the most zealous advocates -- don't dispute that the overall science remains unsettled.

Utter bollocks. The science is most definitely settled. Especially with reference to AGW. Natural forcings are absolutely NOT causing AGW or CC. This is solely down to us, and our emissions of CO2.
Not in dispute. Totally settled.

..... This consensus starts to break down, however, when conclusions are drawn about how much influence humans have had on warming vs. natural forces, and most critically, [over] what the remedies might be and at what cost to the well-being and livelihoods of people the world over.

The ONLY disputations still remaining are over the severity of the impacts ( as yet unknown and 'unprovable' until after they occur, but from the modelling still looking like being somewhere between serious and catastrophic ), and what we should or should not be doing about remedying those impacts and effects.

Naturally, business and others with vested interests in 'business as usual' are opposed to any changes to our current ways of doing things.

This in turn leads to the 'political opposition' (i.e. where people hold fast to an opinion, or opposition, that is NOT based on scientific facts).
This is, like religion, a 'belief system', based not on existential facts but on what the 'believer' chooses to 'believe'.

Both of thse positions are summed up using the shorthand 'denialist'.

The other 'side' if you will, are the 'acceptors' - those who accept the science, accept the moral obligation, and are keen to remediate our forefathers actions that created this AGW situation.

The problem is that many people are resistant to 'change' - of any kind - and so are drawn, almost naturally, to oppose anything that implies change 'must' happen. These people tend to be 'conservative' in their general beliefs and views (i.e. not 'progressive') and so tend to come more readily from the 'conservative' "side" of politics. Hence the 'politicisation' of the AGW 'debate'. [And I'd like to stress that this is 'tends' not absoljute, as I know there are Conservative political people who share the concerns about AGW, and Progressives who don't, so it's not an 'absolute'...]

Hence the puerile counter claims whenever anyone, anywhere, highlights an issue that is likely to be more than averagely affected by ACC. Such as coral reefs.

So the 'denialist' cherry picks the available data to find outlier 'facts' that support their claim that nothing needs to be done.

The scientists (and the acceptors) look for things we can do to mitigate, ameliorate and remedy the forecast catastrophe.

SailOar pointed out (which might on the surface appear unusual) that some corals in the Red Sea appear somewhat more resistant to heat stress than corals elsewhere. It is posited this is down to long, long term exposure to high temperatures and shallow waters (i.e. much of the Red Sea) and, over geormorphological time scales, this has enabled natural selection to afford them some degree of resistance to excess heat.

What is equally clear from all other reef monitoring scientists is that most corals are not so resistant.

But it does afford some hope that, in the event of the scientists being proved right, and coral reefs dying off severely, there might be some avenue of redress if coral biologists are able to adapt the heat stress resistance from Red Sea corals into other corals.

But we do know, from experiments already occurring in both Australia and the Phillipines that corals planted by humans - i.e. artificially, not naturally - do not grow anywhere near as fast as we need them to, and that for us puny humans to completely re-grow somthing like the GBR is going to be a MAMMOTH task, and probably not one we will be in a position to contemplate, should the predicted temp rises in fact occur.

Ergo, it is morally certain that we therefore do everything we possibly can not to end up in that scenario. Completely dead reefs will be a disaster for the ocean biome, and will upset the balance of nature in ways we simply cannot predict - other than to predict they will likely not be good outcomes, for us or the rest of the planet.

And that means ther is an incumbent responsibility on us to be doing everything we possibly can to prevent the significant temp rises predicted in the modelling.

Anyone arguing anything else is, therefore, morally suspect, at the very least.

Put it another way, if your mechanic tells you at annual service time that the brakes on your car are marginal, and will soon fail, possibly causing a catastrophic accident that may resuklt in the death of someone else, you can choose to take a 'punt' that this will not occur, and that the inevitable accident will not harm you or yours.

Or, you can ask the mechanic to fix the brakes. Sooner, rather than later.

I don't mind arguing the 'how to's' with those interested in seeking solutions but, frankly, arguing with denialists is about as productive as trying to hold back the tide.
Old 05-08-2021, 19:38   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Thanks so much for your profound insights and reassurances. Now we can all scamper off and ignore the problem because Reefmagnet tells us so.

At least now everyone on the thread knows you don't take this at all seriously.

Like the guy who falls off of a 20 story building and yells in the 10th floor window as he goes by "So far, so good!!!"

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, I was simply making observations.And the cliff notes of those observations are:

1. Nothing's changed of any extraordinary significance in the past 25 years.
  2. Climate change - or rather "climate emergency" to use the latest parlence - papers and reports in the seemingly vast majority of cases would have Samuel Clemens claiming copyright infringement on his most famous of quotes.

And as to your analogy re falling from a building, that guy could very well fall onto a canvas awning, or into the swimming pool or even an open top truck full of duck down mattresses and survive. Too bad for him if he gave away his house, all his belongings and divorced his wife (or husband) halfway down. In someways, however, your analogy is spot on. Science is telling the guy he's going to die, but that mattress truck is just pulling up below him. In either case panicking and misinformation about the worse case scenario achieves little.
Old 05-08-2021, 19:45   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
The ONLY disputations still remaining are over the severity of the impacts ( as yet unknown and 'unprovable' until after they occur, but from the modelling still looking like being somewhere between serious and catastrophic ), and what we should or should not be doing about remedying those impacts and effects.

And yet, I'd just about wager you're burning fossil fuel - either directly or indirectly - every single day of the year with nary a worrying thought.
Old 05-08-2021, 19:49   #149

Quote:

And as to your analogy re falling from a building, that guy could very well fall onto a canvas awning, or into the swimming pool or even an open top truck full of duck down mattresses and survive. Too bad for him if he gave away his house, all his belongings and divorced his wife (or husband) halfway down. In someways, however, your analogy is spot on. Science is telling the guy he's going to die, but that mattress truck is just pulling up below him. In either case panicking and misinformation about the worse case scenario achieves little.

Keep at it - you are giving us all good insights into the working of your mind.
Old 05-08-2021, 19:50   #150

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Science is telling the guy he's going to die, but that mattress truck is just pulling up below him. In either case panicking and misinformation about the worse case scenario achieves little.

Yeah, but what if the guy driving the mattress truck stops for a leak, or a beer, or a woman....???

There's a reason people don't willingly jump out of a perfectly good aircraft without a parachute....it's not the fall that's the problem, it the possibility, likelihood, probability of the sudden stop at the bottom that compels the wearing of the parachute.

So forget the mattress truck, lets buy the earth a parachute, at least...

And, ftr, the only misinformation is being propagated by those who would prefer to 'do nothing'. IOW, wait till the last second to see if, by some 'miracle' the mattress truck turns up in the nick of time and cushions the fall.

Personally, I hope they're right, and the "mattress truck" does turn up.

But I'm realist and pragmatist enough to know the probability of this is vanishingly small, and so choose to "fix the brakes" and "provide a parachute".

It's called insurance.

How many CF members with expensive boats choose to sail with NO insurances......????

Vanishingly small numbers....I suspect....
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef