Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 17:57   #211

Re: Good News: Great Barrier Reef Recovering Nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
This is an entirely manufactured falsehood(s) designed to cast doubt on the legitimate science.

Personally, I don't care who pays, how it's done, or what is done, as long as we just all get on with it, and get it done.

The Montreal Protocol and CFCs showed us what IS possible, if and when we all work together.

Well said!!! Bravo!
Old 08-08-2021, 19:18   #212

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman
This is an entirely manufactured falsehood(s) designed to cast doubt on the legitimate science.

Personally, I don't care who pays, how it's done, or what is done, as long as we just all get on with it, and get it done.

The Montreal Protocol and CFCs showed us what IS possible, if and when we all work together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Well said!!! Bravo!

"I don't care who pays" and "if we all work together" are interesting statements.

If it's not a rude question, how much do you guys - being so utterly convinced that the end is nigh, and all - contribute financially to organisations tasked to saving us from ourselves? I'd also ask, what is the rough sum of the volumetric capacity of each and every internal combustion engine you own.

I'm only asking this because it is my experience that, human nature being what it is, "I don't care who pays" usually translates to "I don't care who pays as long as it's not me" and "if we all work together" usually translates to "It's not up to me to do anything at the individual level".
Old 08-08-2021, 19:27   #213

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Except that none of this is true. No-one has ever been sacked for posing serious questions about obtainable evidence. They have beEn - rightly - sacked for arguing that the science is not settled, or for making ludicrous assertions contrary to the settled science.

Those are the true 'alarmists'.
I'll pass your post along to the High Court of Australia and inform them that Buzzman states that they are wasting their time with the Ridd case and should never have accepted it in the first place as it quiet obviously is entirely without substance and consequently just frivolous and vexatious.

I'm sure they'll be appreciative of the advice.
Old 08-08-2021, 19:55   #214

Boat: Still building

RaymondR, as you well know that case is not settled, so the final judgement is not 'known' until then. For now, he's been sacked for being a dick. Let's not pre-empt the Court's decision.

Reefmagnet - for the record, a 1.8L 1995 Corolla, a 2.8L 1987 Cressida, a 1.5L 1987 Kawasaki, a 110cc 1985 Honda postie, 11 x 102cc British Seagull outboard motors, a 160cc rotary mower, a 60cc trimmer and a 200cc mulcher.

The car does less than 10K km p.a. The bikes are projects. So are 10 of the outboards. The mower gets used once a month to mow my miniscule lawn, ditto the trimmer, the mulcher is a recent addition yet to be used.

But what does any of that "prove"...???

Because I don't own an EV or a Prius I should be burned at the stake..???

Give me a break!

Having said that, I'd own a Prius if it made sense economically. For me, it just doesn't.

My Corolla owes me $2K. A decent low mile Prius would be $15K, and apart from the minimal weekly grocery runs, all my miles are hwy miles, so the Prius would be on ICE, not EV mode, and has the same engine as my Corolla. Net saving of CO2 = **** all. But I'm not doing 1200kms per week in a diesel or V8 powered fuel-guzzler..!

FTR, my daily electricity consumption is less than 3kWh. I have a 2kW grid-tie PV array and solar HWS. I am 'net export' and regularly (i.e. pretty much every day) export at least double what I myself consume, so I'm eating CO2, not producing it. My water bills are around $30 a year. Or about 30 gigalitres, or 30,000L per annum. Most families use this per month.

My washer is over 25 yrs old, but still going strong. I suspect the Oven in the kitchen is even older, but it still does what I need it to do, so why change it?

I buy new stuff when old stuff can no longer be fixed economically.

Can't remember when I last bought new clothes, but prefer to buy cotton and wool rather than synthetics. Though I do like my fleece jacket.... And my Gore-tex waterproofs.

I own 5 pairs of shoes: 1 pr RMs, 1 x pr Baxter work boots, 1 pr Crocs, 1 pr slippers, 1 pr leather sandals. Oh, wait a sec, forgot one pair of trainer/walking shoes. Used once or twice a year. Now ten years old. Last pair I will buy.

I refuse to fly. It's why I'm on this forum. If I can't sail overseas, I ain't going. Last flight was 2005, for work, because it could not be avoided. I bought offsets. Myself, not the company. And it was Business Class, so it cost...

I shop at the local growers market once a month (when it's on) and otherwise read the labels carefully so I know I'm not buying sh1te that comes from overseas if I can avoid it.

It's a 'whole of life' approach. Tread as lightly as you can.

And, yeah, my boat is made of plywood and epoxy, has Dacron sails and is rigged with Dyneema. I'm aware of the contradictions. Sadly, cotton and manilla just don't cut it.

I'm doing the best "I" can, but sure as sh1te a lot more of us could do better than we are at present.

But no, I don't make practice of 'hugging trees'.

I leave that up to the fanatics.... [grin]
Old 08-08-2021, 20:43   #215

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
...I am not. You are wrong. Time will prove this...
Uhh.. have you been outside lately?

Time has proven this...

(I know, I know -- weather, climate? -- climate, weather?...)
Old 08-08-2021, 20:56   #216

LOL. Yeah. Climate is long format, weather is short format.

Overall trends for most severe weather events are increasing in severity but reducing in number or duration.

FNQ cyclones - predicted - but not enough data to confirm, as yet.

But 'trend' is for less cyclones per annum, greater intensity. Last couple of years we've had less than the historic average, but this is not yet a 'trendline'.

Might become one, not not enough data yet to confirm.

My favourite weather predictor was the one that hung on the side of the shed at Giles Weather Station in the central desert. Original artwork was drawn by Len Beadell in the Fifties.

"If the string is hanging down, there's no wind. If the string is wet, it's raining. If there is no string, the Abos have stolen it!"

Not PC for this day and age, but was no doubt true in it's time....
Old 08-08-2021, 21:08   #217

Quote:
RaymondR, as you well know that case is not settled, so the final judgement is not 'known' until then. For now, he's been sacked for being a dick. Let's not pre-empt the Court's decision.

Reefmagnet - for the record, a 1.8L 1995 Corolla, a 2.8L 1987 Cressida, a 1.5L 1987 Kawasaki, a 110cc 1985 Honda postie, 11 x 102cc British Seagull outboard motors, a 160cc rotary mower, a 60cc trimmer and a 200cc mulcher.

The car does less than 10K km p.a. The bikes are projects. So are 10 of the outboards. The mower gets used once a month to mow my miniscule lawn, ditto the trimmer, the mulcher is a recent addition yet to be used.

But what does any of that "prove"...???

Because I don't own an EV or a Prius I should be burned at the stake..???

Give me a break!

Having said that, I'd own a Prius if it made sense economically. For me, it just doesn't.

My Corolla owes me $2K. A decent low mile Prius would be $15K, and apart from the minimal weekly grocery runs, all my miles are hwy miles, so the Prius would be on ICE, not EV mode, and has the same engine as my Corolla. Net saving of CO2 = **** all. But I'm not doing 1200kms per week in a diesel or V8 powered fuel-guzzler..!

FTR, my daily electricity consumption is less than 3kWh. I have a 2kW grid-tie PV array and solar HWS. I am 'net export' and regularly (i.e. pretty much every day) export at least double what I myself consume, so I'm eating CO2, not producing it. My water bills are around $30 a year. Or about 30 gigalitres, or 30,000L per annum. Most families use this per month.

My washer is over 25 yrs old, but still going strong. I suspect the Oven in the kitchen is even older, but it still does what I need it to do, so why change it?

I buy new stuff when old stuff can no longer be fixed economically.

Can't remember when I last bought new clothes, but prefer to buy cotton and wool rather than synthetics. Though I do like my fleece jacket.... And my Gore-tex waterproofs.

I own 5 pairs of shoes: 1 pr RMs, 1 x pr Baxter work boots, 1 pr Crocs, 1 pr slippers, 1 pr leather sandals. Oh, wait a sec, forgot one pair of trainer/walking shoes. Used once or twice a year. Now ten years old. Last pair I will buy.

I refuse to fly. It's why I'm on this forum. If I can't sail overseas, I ain't going. Last flight was 2005, for work, because it could not be avoided. I bought offsets. Myself, not the company. And it was Business Class, so it cost...

I shop at the local growers market once a month (when it's on) and otherwise read the labels carefully so I know I'm not buying sh1te that comes from overseas if I can avoid it.

It's a 'whole of life' approach. Tread as lightly as you can.

And, yeah, my boat is made of plywood and epoxy, has Dacron sails and is rigged with Dyneema. I'm aware of the contradictions. Sadly, cotton and manilla just don't cut it.

I'm doing the best "I" can, but sure as sh1te a lot more of us could do better than we are at present.

But no, I don't make practice of 'hugging trees'.

I leave that up to the fanatics.... [grin]

I will commend you, that's impressive. Keep up the good fight. However, with a worldwide approximate average of 1 car per 6 people, you posses around 12x the global average.

OT, but relevant... https://www.live-counter.com/number-of-cars/

If cataclysmic global warming is so accepted, who the heck is buying these vehicles?
Old 08-08-2021, 21:20   #218

Sigh. Ordinary folks who just needa get to work. I'm retired, hence the low mileage.

But public transport???? Instead of motorways??? I'd like to see that!!

And if the ownership levels in my local classic car club are anything to go by, that estimate per household is poop! I got one local mate has 20 Fords. Another has a dozen Morries.

However can shamefacedly admit I did have three cars until earlier this year, when I sold the 1980 RA40 Celica....

But both the Cressida and the Celica barely did 1000km a year, and then only on club runs. Actually, was probably split 50/50...can only drive one at a time...

And by years end the Cressida will be gone too....just with COVID lockdowns I can't sell it as no-one from more than 5kms away can get here to see it!

I quit the car club because I figured I was encouraging wasteful and unnecessary 'recreational' use of cars. Now only use car for 'legitimate purposes'. IOW, visits to the supermarket or the chandlery..!!
Old 09-08-2021, 03:04   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

For those who decry the use of "can, may, might" etc:

“It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land.”
“There is no uncertainty language in this sentence, because there is no uncertainty that global warming is caused by human activity and the burning of fossil fuels,” said IPCC co-author Friederike Otto, a climatologist at University of Oxford.

See ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...gi-254312.html

Old 09-08-2021, 03:22   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

If it's not a rude question, how much do you guys - being so utterly convinced that the end is nigh, and all - contribute financially to organisations tasked to saving us from ourselves? I'd also ask, what is the rough sum of the volumetric capacity of each and every internal combustion engine you own.

Not counting man hours spent (volunteer) working on three projects last year, about $4,500 in actual out of pocket cash. My car is a Tesla Model 3, I no longer have use of a pickup so I am down to one vehicle. I am already designing the power system for the sailing cat, it will be 100% electric when I finish.

On my farm (just sold it) I had a 10KW wind turbine and roughly half that in solar which fully supplied my home (ground effect electric heat pump) and work shop. I did in fact have a couple of smaller John Deere tractors using 40 to 60 H.P. Yanmar Diesels. John Deere is developing all electric tractors and if available I would have bought them.

Perfect? No but that doesn't prevent me from making a real difference when I can. YOU can too. We all can...
Old 09-08-2021, 03:23   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“It is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land.”
“There is no uncertainty language in this sentence, because there is no uncertainty that global warming is caused by human activity and the burning of fossil fuels,” said IPCC co-author Friederike Otto, a climatologist at University of Oxford.

See ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...gi-254312.html

So what do they go on to say about all the promised possible death and destruction that "could" occur at various estimated between 20 years ago and the year 2300?

I reckon they should also include the American Airlines and Ford Motor Co thing. You know, like figure out, for example, how many coral reefs can be sacrificed for the good of a developing third world nation. Have they done the numbers on that at all?
Old 09-08-2021, 03:26   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Not counting man hours spent (volunteer) working on three projects last year, about $4,500 in actual out of pocket cash. My car is a Tesla Model 3, I no longer have use of a pickup so I am down to one vehicle. I am already designing the power system for the sailing cat, it will be 100% electric when I finish.

On my farm (just sold it) I had a 10KW wind turbine and roughly half that in solar which fully supplied my home (ground effect electric heat pump) and work shop. I did in fact have a couple of smaller John Deere tractors using 40 to 60 H.P. Yanmar Diesels. John Deere is developing all electric tractors and if available I would have bought them.

Perfect? No but that doesn't prevent me from making a real difference when I can. YOU can too. We all can...

Fantastic. Where is the power to charge your Tesla and tractors coming from and where do you send the batteries when they hit EOL?
Old 09-08-2021, 04:14   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
In that scenario, there could be two feet of sea level rise by 2040, three feet by 2050, and much more to come.
and
...over the next 2,000 years [sea level is] all but certain to rise by at least 20 to 30 feet.
Dang! There goes the plan to sail to Paris and use the Eiffel Tower as mooring any time soon. 30 feet isn't just enough. And the 3 feet by 2050 only means a few more rows of bricks on the sea-wall. I think I'll have to stay on the coast.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:16   #224
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good News: Great Barrier Reef Recovering Nicely!

All I can say is, don't expect Governments and Industry to solve this pollution problem.
They are the ones who persuaded people to switch from petrol to diesel en mass with discounted fuel prices, inflated part exchange deals for petrol cars etc.. more profits for industry and shareholders and sweeteners from lobbyists for the Politico's..

"Diesel fuelled engines produce more CO2 per gallon of fuel combustion with additional release of harmful emissions such as NOx and PM. One diesel vehicle causes pollution equivalent to 24 petrol vehicles or 40 CNG vehicles."

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 09-08-2021, 04:25   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Fantastic. Where is the power to charge your Tesla and tractors coming from and where do you send the batteries when they hit EOL?
On the farm, from the turbine / solar array. Currently, from the grid where I pay a bit more for electricity from renewable resources. (Wind turbines) Specifically the turbine farm in King City, Mo. My power company (United Electric Coop) has a program for people that WANT to make a difference.

As to my car batteries, Tesla will (does) buy them back for recycling. The materials in them are far too expensive to simple dump in a land fill. Of course I can also sell them to people building "power walls" for in home use. EOL in a car does NOT mean EOL for other uses. A Li battery that is 80% capacity has a LOT of other uses.

Now its my turn to ask, why are you so hell bent on trying to suggest the efforts people are making are not worth it? Is that some sort of self justification for you not doing anything? If so, it's a p*ss poor one...

Just an FYI: Every and I mean EVERY car and truck maker is switching to all electric, there really is a reason for it... I and people like me are right, we must belly up to the bar and save the only place we have as a species to live, Earth. Even if we have to drag the nay-sayers along while they scream, cry and deny.
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef