Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 16:57   #16

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Punker factor LOL

Just wondering what time of year
beetlejuice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 17:04   #17

July 3-5th. Amazing fishing. There was a rock with a hole behind it in the stream right by the cabin. You could see swarms of Pink Salmon schooling around in it. I was pulling up good sized fish literally every 3rd cast. Too bad the bear took all but the three fish we had in the cooler. After the tenth or so time the bear charged me, my wife put her foot down and told me if I casted into the stream one more time she was going to shoot me and leave the bear alone.
AKCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 17:13   #18

Found some pics of that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear%202.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	7057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawn.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	7058  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wife.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	7059  
Old 10-02-2009, 17:31   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Moose may be mean but nothing in my life has given me the pucker factor like turning around to find yourself within 10ft of a bear you had no idea was there.
If he'd a wanted you, he would have had you...

Female Moose are usually okay unless you get between them and their calf.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 17:39   #20

True. He never really acted too aggressive, just wanted the fish I guess. Still scary just the same.
Old 10-02-2009, 17:49   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
How do I show you my short clip that is xxx.asf ?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 17:55   #22

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
The rule of thumb is if you see a bear and you have FISH ON Cut your line and leave any shore fish you have. We dont wont to connect fisherman and free dinner this would be bad

Interesting story: We where driving for kenia from seldotna and we saw this Tourist pulled over on the side of the road taking a picture of a moose and her calf with her daughter in the ditch, we quickly pulled over to give a reality check to this couple and the mother said to he daughter as we where getting out of the car "get closer to the baby honey" nothing happened just very shocking how ignorant most tourists are.

P.S. DONT TRASH ALASKA
beetlejuice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24   #23

Off topic but when my mother in law came to CO to visit, we took her to the mountains to sitesee and have some elk steaks. She had broken her leg and was on crutches. She is also and 4.5 feet tall and very southern (think Deliverance soudtrack). We pulled over by a herd of elk so that we could get a picture of her standing about 40 feet in front of the herd. After we took the picture I screamed "RUN LINDA, THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR YOU!" Watching all four feet of her hobble over to the car at about 30 mph was one the funniest things I have ever seen.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:38   #24

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Having lived up in the North west section of BC I have had a few bear encounters and heard a lot of interesting bear stories. One fact is that more people are killed by Black bears every year than by Grizzlies, according to the report it was mentioned that people don't respect Black Bears as much as Grizzlies and they are much more common. Geolegists seem to have the worst track record with bear encounters and fatalities. I remember seeing marked Black bears on shore at several anchorages in the Northern Vancouver Island to mainland islands. The marked ones have been moved because they were bad someplace else.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12   #25

We are currently moving into a new place a little farther out of town (we are already in the boonies). From what the neighbors tell me, the black bears are all over that property during the summer. Can't see them though because the brush is so thick. Said you can smell them when they are close though and about one neighborhood dog goes missing every year.
Old 11-02-2009, 13:08   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
So there was a Bear in BC one hot sunny day in July that wanted a drink. So he went into the town and found a dirty bar. He sat down on the bar stool and asked the bartender for a drink. The bartender looked at him and said:

" I am sorry but we dont serve beer to bears in bars in bc"

The bear looked puzzled and once again asked the bartender for a beer, the bartender replied

" I am sorry but we dont serve beer to bears in bars in bc"

The bear getting upset by now told the bartender that if he didn't get severd, he would go munch out on the lady by the jukebox. The bartender once again replied.

" I am sorry but we do not serve beer to bears in bars in bc"

Sure enough the bear went over to the lady and munched away on her, leaving only a skeleton behind. Sat back up on the bar stool and put is fist down,

"Bartender, can I have a cold beer NOW!!"

The bartender once again looked at him and said

" I am sorry but I told you, we dont serve beer to bears in bars in BC, especially the one's on drug's!!"

The bear confused looked at the bartender and said " What do you mean the ones on drugs?"

The bartender looked at him as said

" Well wasn't that a bar-bitch-u-ate??"

Ok cheesy but I like it........lmao
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 15:58   #27

Boat: 36' custom steel
In Alaska, dogs kill more people than bears, moose, and wolves combined. Anchorage paper did an article on the human mortality rates among the four.

Moose was a distant second.

Fears are usually not particularly rational.

When I lived in Alaska (ten years), I started out with a 12 gauge shotgun. Moved down to a .44 mag pistol. Then to bear mace. Finally nothing. Just my wits.

We ran into bears cruising Kenai Fjords National Park and Prince William Sound. Canoing north of the Arctic Circle. Hell, we had a griz on the porch at home. Was late to work many a time because a moose wouldn't let me out the front door.

Just use your brains, for most people that's pretty effective. But keep an eye on Fido. Statistically speaking, Fido is a killer.

People fear mostly what they don't know. You know Fido, so Fido is not perceived as the threat he is, relatively speaking.

P.S. There's never been a documented bear attack on a group of four or more people.
Old 11-02-2009, 16:07   #28

Had I not been trying to save my dogs life, I would have gotten a good picture of him trying to attack the 8ft tall grizzly. He is a King Charles/Cocker Spaniel mix that stands all of 1.5ft tall and is foofy looking as heck. He was convinced he was going to tear the bear a new one.
Old 11-02-2009, 20:34   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Apparently...none of you read the sign...it is a joke.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 20:44   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What really needs to be contolled is Bear Grylls and his ilk, the Former Navy Seals, and "adventurers" on the discovery channel.....Some with that screechy overacted British Accent...or the hushy/husky/"this is dangerous stiff that will kill you voice.

I timed several of the shows.

They open......go to commercial....come back and rehash what they just said and then eadd a little bit......go to commercial....come back rehash what they just said and show the same film bits 3 or 4 times.......if it is an hour show it is tedious......
Total film time 22 minutes for an hour show...rehash bits 30 minutes......

I watched him in the Florida Everglades...supposedly in the middle of nowhere.....I was at THAT VISITORS CENTER in the National Park......He was about 50 feet from the road. Acting about how dangerous it is....blech!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska