Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2010, 04:41   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Married on board

We were married on board our Cal 46 Satori in Long Beach outer harbor, May 15, 1982. It has worked just perfectly as I still have the same boat and wife.

I became an ordained minister in 1987 and have performed wedding ceremonies in many places; on boats, on the beach, back yards, on my deck behind our guest cottage, etc. Basically wherever requested after I get to know the couple and we have talked about their commitment.

It is not where you get married, it is about why and your committed relationship.

Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 04:45   #47

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
What about TVR and Car Bodies (the company that makes the black Taxi's). They are still in business!!
As far as I know, TVR went bust, were bought by an arab guy whos son wanted a cowboy outfit for christmas, and went bust again.

Morgan has been a stable family firm for a century.

The London black cab company was based in Coventry and also suffered financial problems a few years ago. Not sure what their status is now
Old 28-01-2010, 07:20   #48

Last year I was asked to marry a couple onboard my boat. I did some research, and here's what I found out, worth what you paid for it. In the US, marriage laws are governed by state. Each state sets its minimum requirements to officiate at a wedding. For instance, in CT you must be a JOP, judge, magistrate, state referee, or an ordained minister. One church, the Universal Life Church, has created a side business of ordaining ministers online. Here's the website: www.ulc.org
They give you a certification, good or life, free of charge. You file it with the town clerk's office in the town where the wedding is to be recorded. The bride and groom have to get a marriage license from that office. Then you're all set to make future ex's!

My friends ended up getting married in China, so nobody has to call me Reverend--I wasn't ordained.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:22   #49

Attended a wedding last year where the bride and groom arrived via silboat. Close but no cigar.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:19   #50

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I had an interesting marriage happen aboard my schooner .... Red Witch was tied to a dock in downtown Seattle and I was off doing some shopping with wife and daughter. When we got back there was a note under the door with names and addresses of a couple who had gotten married on the boat in our absence!! I wrote them and they sent me a picture of them getting married on my after deck. Very sweet. Years ago one of my students made me a Universal Life minister [he said I was so persuasive behind the lectern that I should be persuasive in a pulpit ..]. I have since married friends and family members in situations all the way from a mountain meadow to a regular church [which did not collapse ...]. So far not on a boat. Technically, I think for a captain to do it legally, it requires being some distance off shore, unless he is licensed as I am.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:39   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I got married on a boat on the SF Bay. You still have to get a marriage license for it to be a legally recognized marriage. Some places will only recognize a religious leader or an elected official as someone who can marry you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:55   #52

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Much as I would love to marry on a virgin white sandy beach, on board a galleon would be just as romantic. Just as long as Capt Ron isnt conducting the proceedings.
I recently heard that Raw Faith is free for bookings.
Old 30-01-2010, 08:53   #53

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
married on board

Anjou,

Will you marry me on the deck of my sailboat in Florida? I'll let you know in a week or two if the boat actually passes into my possession.

This has been a fun thread that you started!

KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 10:08   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
And the booty
Sorry...cant keep my mind out of the gutter sometimes...that was a good one virginia boy.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 10:13   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
Anjou,

Will you marry me on the deck of my sailboat in Florida? I'll let you know in a week or two if the boat actually passes into my possession.

This has been a fun thread that you started!

Depends on where in Florida. I am in Pensacola. Also would need to have a meeting with you and your bride to be to discuss commitment and select or write your vows.
Tom 850 572 1225
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:38   #56

Boat: Peterson 46
We were married whilst under sail. The Anglican minister ( a friend) had to get approval from the bishop in order to marry us onboard. We stood on the foredeck, under the genoa, hanging onto each other and Val ( the minister). The family and friends were all perched around us on the foredeck.

The weather turned up a spectacular day, a dugong and dolphins came around as the ceremony was progressing.

In the afternoon, the wind picked up, the boat took off on a beat and we have a picture of Bren, in her wedding dress, spray jacket over the top, at the wheel.

Our wedding certificate states the place of marriage as SV...... , Moreton Bay, QLD.

So far, best day of my life. http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...avidcamTim.jpg

We honeymooned on our yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brenda David cam Tim.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	12895  
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:50   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thats so nice.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:05   #58
cruiser

I once performed a marriage on my boat. She had a disability pension she didn't want to lose and was "Positivo' as the doctor discovered, but they wanted to take their vows. They were still a couple last time I saw them, so something worked.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:07   #59

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
I performed a marriage ceremony ( with a friend in attendance that was also a Judge) for a couple that were friends. They asked me to marry them on their boat, since I was a licenensed captain. It took place at a dock, with the wedding party on the boat, and onlookers on the dock. A great time and very fond memories.
I hope the judge signed the Marriage Certificate/License other wise if done in the US the Marriage isn't Legal. I haven't checked International rules on the subject, but I will now.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:21   #60
cruiser

Twas in Mexico
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote