Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 08:17   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

BTW, your boat is not your home in the eyes of the law. Even if it is your domicile and is chained to a Marina or anything else, it is isn't your home.
The requirement of a search warrant etc. does not exist for your boat.
If I go to NY or NJ and I'm sure possibly other states with my Baretta M9 with its stock magazine, whether I have rounds in or or not, I believe I am in serious trouble, but I do not pretend to know the laws.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:58   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Oh jeez! What on earth are you reading or watching????
I see why you want to go cruising - you desperately need to find some Zen.

Have you not spent much time outside the US? Which is one of the most dangerous places to live in for many reasons.

If you do some digging you will
see the consensus in the sailing community is love and cautious optimism, not hate and fear.

Most people are not so bad, actually.
Be kind and kindness finds you.
Be humble and respectful and expect the same. I believe people who meet cruisers automatically have a level of respect and interest in you (not to mention your tourism dollars). They admire your courage, independence and knowledge to navigate and operate a vessel and realize you must be open to their culture to want to visit them.

The best "weapon" travelling is your mouth! Learn a little local language, instant respect and de-escalation. Next, is humour, the best tactic of all, imho. Lastly, we can all find something in common with eachother so find common ground.
I would agree that most people are good,but there are also a few that ,well let's say have there own ajenda.. I unfortunately had a negative experience at the age of about 14 and was kidnapped or really basically held hostage as a man that said he was a police officer (we were not buying that) pulled into our camp in the Woods where myslef & a couple of buddy's were camping with our dirtbikes,the one buddy had told a girl where we were going to be,so she had hitched a ride with this stranger then got a weird vibe from the guy after telling him too much info, ( like where we were) & when they got within a mile of us she bailed out of his car & ran into the woods....well he wanted her...... he knew she was coming to us ,he got there first.....he at one point was facing my bud & drew his weapon put it in his mouth & racked a round in the chamber ( looked like a 380 auto) the slide hit my buds tooth & broke it! When I seen his head react ,,,,,,I thought he shot him but he didn't. ....he held us for about 8hrs,he wanted her! There were several times that night that if I had had a weapon I would have had a very good opportunity to save all of us. In the end he left us he committed suicide two weeks later he was also caught later that night. I had took one of the dirt bikes at 4 o'clock in the morning and went to the only building in the area and this was when there were no cell phones and that building just happened to be a new bank so the only thing I could think of to call the police was to break a window. Well it worked. I had a hell of a time trying to convince them that I was on a rescue mission and needed police help but eventually the girl comes Running Out of the Woods and save my bacon wow what a night. Crazy huh, go figure I'm not very trusting of strangers. But the more I deal with the Cruisers the better I do feel about it. Yeah I definitely need some Zen
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:56   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Ainia, you bring up an interesting point , people asking you if your scared. I to have experienced this, very rarely have I been asked whats your favorite place etc but are often ,and I mean probably 80% asked " what about pirates?"...very much a fear based society.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 13:27   #49

Whoa Kita! What a difficult experience you went through! No wonder you are armed and concerned.
Well, sailing is excellent for ptsd issues, which to me it sounds like you may have some of over that exp? You might want to check out www.warriorsailing.org (wounded warriors sailing).

I really like what AiniA said. I'm a Moore appreciator. I've said for years, before I knew of him, that our (US) economy banks on fear to help control the markets and sell consumers stuff (including insurance) for things we don't all (some do) need.

So you know, leaving your arms on land does not mean you will have nothing to protect yourself with. Winch handle, emergency tiller, flares, hot skillet or especially a loud, nasty sounding 10lb dog Seriously, maybe consider the dog option? They are great at scaring off the wrong people and inviting the right.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 14:08   #50
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I would agree that most people are good,but there are also a few that ,well let's say have there own ajenda.. I unfortunately had a negative experience at the age of about 14 and was kidnapped or really basically held hostage
In America.

Point is that sort of stuff is ultra rare for travellers overseas, unless there own choices / proclivities lead them to dangerous activities, places and people, recreational contexts like drugs, sex industry, gambling or of course real criminal stuff.

If you do get involved in those areas, then I suppose a gun may come in handy. If not, 99.999% more likely to cause a problem instead.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 16:41   #51

I even had a cop put a gun to my head & cock it,I did a wheelie on my motorcycle & when I seen the cop I pulled over as he was coming, when he got there I was standing on the side of the road with my hands up with my info in my hand ,just the paper reg & driver's license and nothing else he approached me grab me by the hand through my hand around behind me and tossed me onto the hood of the car drew his weapon put it to the back of my head and cocked it and ask me if he blew my head across the hood of his car who was going to argue about it tomorrow? You guys think I pissed him off or what? Seriously. But do I have post whatever syndrome nah I doubt that. But things like that will make you very just distrusting of strangers even if they have a badge.
Old 05-02-2017, 16:43   #52

Trust is earned not given
Old 05-02-2017, 16:56   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
BTW, your boat is not your home in the eyes of the law. Even if it is your domicile and is chained to a Marina or anything else, it is isn't your home.
The requirement of a search warrant etc. does not exist for your boat.
If I go to NY or NJ and I'm sure possibly other states with my Baretta M9 with its stock magazine, whether I have rounds in or or not, I believe I am in serious trouble, but I do not pretend to know the laws.
As guns go they ARE a different country
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36   #54

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Heh...

It happens modern smokeless powders don't really explode, loose smokeless powder isn't all that easy to ignite...

But I take your point.

-Chris
I guess we can take you off the terrorist watch list...

Choice of explosive in Pipe Bombs and other IEDs.... "Smokeless powder"

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/ab...002/mccord.htm

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There, fixed it for you.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44   #56

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Choice of explosive in Pipe Bombs and other IEDs.... "Smokeless powder"

Sure, it reacts differently under pressure, as when captive inside a container of some sort. Hence storage in original containers, which are usually plastic (these days) and used to often be "cardboard" stuff (like Planter's peanut cans, whatever that stuff is).

Anyway, I only meant -- for the wider audience, who may not have known -- it's relatively safe to store and transport, when following approved guidelines.

FWIW, when we lived in Europe, storage and transportation regulations were pretty much the same as here in the US. I suspect that'd be similar worldwide, at least in those countries that actually allow handloading.

For OP, that'd be something to check first, of course... but I was really being slightly facetious about setting up a whole handloading operation on a (possibly relatively small) cruising boat...

-Chris
Old 06-02-2017, 13:04   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Hand loading shotgun cartridges aint that complicated.. take 3 LG's.. divide the powder into two piles and pour into two of the cases.. melt the shot and pour into two moulds.. when cold insert and tamp down and Bingo.. two pig stoppers..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 13:08   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
If you're into navigating custom and regulation and also willing to let those regs dictate your next port of call, do it.

If you'll be able to shoot clay pigeons off the bow while underway in international waters, you should teach small arms gunnery
Easy! :

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:39   #59
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

OMG, don't think I can now imagine ANYTHING more 'Murican than that!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:46   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That's what I call moving target, and everything else!