Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 15:21   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Unless US Federal law has changed, it's Black powder that is tough to get as it is classified as an explosive, hence most people shoot Pyrodex. Smokeless is a propellant and apparently much less regulated

Wanna do some tough shootin ? Try helicopter door gunner
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:35   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wanna do some tough shootin ? Try helicopter door gunner
Never had a chance to try that but I have tried shooting bottles from the deck of a sailboat. It is way, way, way harder than most people seem to think. All the cruisers that want to carry guns to fend off pirates should give it a try.

Even in quite moderate weather I never came close. Once a bottle got a couple hundred feet from the boat I was lucky to hit within 4-5'. If it's any harder being a door gunner on a chopper I'm surprised they ever hit anything.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:02   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Never had a chance to try that but I have tried shooting bottles from the deck of a sailboat. It is way, way, way harder than most people seem to think. All the cruisers that want to carry guns to fend off pirates should give it a try.

Even in quite moderate weather I never came close. Once a bottle got a couple hundred feet from the boat I was lucky to hit within 4-5'. If it's any harder being a door gunner on a chopper I'm surprised they ever hit anything.
Chopper gunners and coast guard/navy small arms gunnery exercises are very similar. Give the guys a lot of ammo and high rate of fire. If they can correct their point of impact onto target for fractions of a second, then it'll do the job.

My wife grew up in gun country Pennsylvania and Kentucky and I was adopted into the culture. Hand loading logbooks are more detailed than most captains logs.

In my experience, folks that insist on firearm carry regardless of situational circumstance tend to have rather "off" perceptions of reality/risk assessment and also tend to underprepsred for how hard it is to be on target when your shooting foundation isn't solid.

Moving humvee? Hard. Moving tank without gun stabilization? Hard. Boat? Hard. Chopper? Hard.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:22   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Boat is a whole lot easier as usually it's motions are rhythmic and repeatable, helicopter can be but usually not.
I feel sure I could hit better from a sailboat, than from a power boat on plane.
I do not carry that kind of weapon so it's just a theoretical exercise for me.
I would want open sights, likely what is called an aimpoint, that looks like scope but has no magnification, look down it and you see a red dot, no two sights to line up, put the dot on target and squeeze the trigger.
It is not a long range thing, I had one a Ruger 44 mag carbine, for hog hunting. In the swamp where the hogs were 50' was a decent shot, you could not see a whole lot further.

But cruising, all the weapons and reloading gear etc will be stored for when I come back. To quote one of my favorite movies, it would be the acme of foolishness to try to take them
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:29   #65

I did knock a bird out of the air from a motorboat moving on plane with a pistol! The guys laughed when I said I could do it,,,,,,then I did it.....was a long time ago & there was a fair amount of luck involved but it happened. ..can bang a squirrel image on a target from 150 ft....gun control is being able to hit you target. .....would LOVE to try a door gun on a chopper! Would hate to have to use a weapon in self defense or have to fire on live targets like in war,,
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:35   #66

The callousness you exhibit re shooting a bird and discharging a firearm... Please leave it at home and don't embarrass allAmericans .
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:41   #67

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
The callousness you exhibit re shooting a bird and discharging a firearm... Please leave it at home and don't embarrass allAmericans .
Hey, we were hunting dove with shotguns, as we were leaving one went up & I got it with my sidearm, just another one for the pot...was not a callous waste, was dinner!... maybe you misunderstood and didn't have the complete story on the background so I understand but I certainly wasn't trying to embarrass anyone my apology
Old 06-02-2017, 16:52   #68

Boat: Mirage 35

Kudos to everyone involved, in particular the OP.

First gun thread I've seen on this site that stayed positive, non-confrontational, and constructive.

Old 06-02-2017, 16:54   #69

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Yeah, pretty good until this...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:58   #70
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To quote one of my favorite movies
Certainly a better one than the last cited here, and no less quintessentially American!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 17:06   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post

meatservo
Aww they probably thought I was just shooting any bird just to be shooting, actually Wild Bill would have been proud of that shot! I had guys making bows to like I was king ,,,,joking of course.... that was draw & fire & take down a dove from a boat on plane.....& didn't destroy the bird! I did get yelled at for taking the shot & is something I wouldn't do again and probably wouldn't have done it that time except I was kind of challenged into doing it....lucky really, but right on cue!
Old 06-02-2017, 17:27   #72

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post

meatservo
Yeah, I skimmed over a few.

I've never been a hunter myself (probably something to do with being born nearsighted), but have had friends and family members who were hunters. They all loved animals and had great respect for nature, something that I realize is difficult to understand when you have not been in that environment.

But none of this is relevant to the original question, which has been adequately answered above.
Old 06-02-2017, 18:35   #73

Boat: SeaRunner 34

I helped pull a dead cruiser off his boat in Panama. The medivac guy from the military base was on his last trip before retiring and even he lost his lunch.
Death is not pretty.
The guy from the embassy told me the last 11 Americans killed in Panama on boats were killed with their own guns.
If your going to carry join a good mind altering program so you can kill another human being without thought. The US military would be a good place to start and I hear they are hiring.
Corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corazon View Post
... If your going to carry join a good mind altering program so you can kill another human being without thought. The US military would be a good place to start and I hear they are hiring.
JOKE:
Join the Marines. Travel to exotic foreign places, meet exotic new people, And Kill Them.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:01   #75

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

MarkJ admirably summed up the legal ramifications, and Ranger42C the practicality.

Since at least the 1960s there's been a saying in USA "Never invite the Man (government) into your life." and that is so true. Right or wrong, it will cost you dearly. Overseas it gets much, much worse.

Shooting clays of the bow. OK, well that's going to be with a nice, blued Benelli or Browning Citori. Which will rust in no time. Polymer guns also have metal parts, same problem.

I'm about pro-rights as they come. I do have a firearm on my boat, only because it's glued to me. But I don't take one overseas. There is a big difference between Bay Isles and Teguc.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote