Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15   #121
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
they vow to 'change their evil ways', then they should be given at least one chance.
I have wondered who is behind it. I thought the Russian Mafia.

Its too big to be a pack of small fishermen... Its not just the taking of the ships etc, but the negotiations with insurance companies for multi million dollar payouts. No dope can just go do that.

Took a bit of Googling, but seems others know so...

Quote:
"It is organised crime," said Jean-Michel Louboutin, executive director of police services at Interpol, the France-based global police organisation.
"Certainly, yes," he told AFP when asked if people from outside Somalia were involved in the racket.

Ordinary Somali pirates only get a small portion -- about 10,000 dollars - of the average two million dollars ransom for each hijacking, suggesting that organised crime groups get the bulk of the money, Palmer said.
Half a million dollars is paid to people who deliver the ransom, usually by a helicopter that lands on the hijacked ship, and another 500,000 dollars goes to the negotiators, Palmer said.
"So there is a big industry," he said.
"There's lots of money to be made from hijacking. But the pirates themselves, many of whom are only teenagers from poor and disadvantaged background, are getting very little of that money."
AFP: Somali pirates controlled by syndicates: Interpol

Remember one neat lil thing... this piracy started from the skiffs that run illegal immigrents from Africa via Yemen into Europe... via Russia. More likely to be Arab criminals...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 14:58   #122

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I have wondered who is behind it. I thought the Russian Mafia.

Its too big to be a pack of small fishermen... Its not just the taking of the ships etc, but the negotiations with insurance companies for multi million dollar payouts. No dope can just go do that.

Took a bit of Googling, but seems others know so...

AFP: Somali pirates controlled by syndicates: Interpol

Remember one neat lil thing... this piracy started from the skiffs that run illegal immigrents from Africa via Yemen into Europe... via Russia. More likely to be Arab criminals...

NO Duh!

You mean that most here think the the poor, illiterate fisherman came up with all these ideas and are taking the money home with them?

Sheesh!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:32   #123
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
NO Duh!

You mean that most here think the the poor, illiterate fisherman came up with all these ideas and are taking the money home with them?

Sheesh!
Yes thats what I think most people think.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:05   #124
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes thats what I think most people think.
they are. just not most of it

the good news is that the money ends up being lent back to uncle sam. and then gets spent on important stuff like armed anti-poop patrols
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20   #125
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
the good news is that the money ends up being lent back to uncle sam. and then gets spent on important stuff like armed anti-poop patrols
The only people really screwed are the Somali pirates: Shot at by ships; hung by Kenyans; run over by Russians; enslaved by War Lords; supressed by Muslims; ripped off by Arabs; and by the cruisers: Insulted as illiterates on Cruisers Forum.

Poor buggers...

Old 07-11-2010, 05:40   #126

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
From post 121, I think that maybe the Somali pirates are getting pirated and they need to form an association/union to protect their money from getting stolen along the way. Gosh, it's a tough world.
- - But seriously, all over the world in mostly 3rd world countries generations of people who only know about harvesting a living from "under" the surface of the seas are finding there are fewer and fewer fish to catch. So they start harvesting a living from what is "on" the seas. Only thing is that as they get a little success in their new endeavors the land-based pirates move in and start siphoning off that harvest.
- - Be it organized crime syndicates or organized governmental entities it isn't long before the new revenue source is depleted back to where it was. Some things never change.
- - Unfortunately, we are the "seafood" that is now getting harvested and you can either be a clam and hide in the sea floor mud or be a great white shark (or somewhere in between) and bite back.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:54   #127
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - Unfortunately, we are the "seafood" that is now getting harvested and you can either be a clam and hide in the sea floor mud or be a great white shark (or somewhere in between) and bite back.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12   #128

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I think that link to the "SexPistols" belongs over in the "Living in Civilization vs the Wilderness" thread. It would certainly inspire many to chose to move to the wilderness where birds singing and crickets chirping make much better music.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23   #129
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I think that link to the "SexPistols" belongs over in the "Living in Civilization vs the Wilderness" thread. It would certainly inspire many to chose to move to the wilderness where birds singing and crickets chirping make much better music.
As Somalia inspires me to 'Choose the wilderness' ..... should I ever traverse the Indian Ocean.. lol

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:07   #130

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Then the pirates will have to have elections to determine what the pirate fees are and how to distribute them. They will have to form a pirate revenue service to collect the fees and a prirate appraisal service for passing vessels to determine how much pirate fee they have to pay for safe passage. The penalty for not having the proper sticker will be the same as everywhere else, seize the vessel and hold the occupants for bail, ...oops I mean ransom. Of course if a vessel doesn't have a fee sticker a pirate warrent will have to be issued, allowing free ransacking and seizing of any valuables for "evidence", as well as confiscating any materials, (weapons), that may be used to impede pirate investigations.
Whow, What you are sugesting sounds quite like the 30 to 65% most Western Goverments "extract" from there Subjects. The Bible reported "just" 10% -------ahhhh that was in the good old days.