Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 06:25   #256
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: In The News

Irwin Jacobs - Murder Suicide?

Prominent Twin Cities businessman Irwin Jacobs (chairman of Genmar Holdings), and his wife, Alexandra, were found dead Wednesday, in their Lake Minnetonka home, in an apparent murder-suicide, according to a close friend and business associate.
Irwin Jacobs, wife found dead in what close friend calls murder-suicide - StarTribune.com
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...dustry-reeling

Old 13-06-2019, 06:46   #257
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
The near elimination of apex predators such as sharks, tuna, and cod have been shown to have a significant impact on the ecosystem. I wonder if this isn’t more detrimental than warming.
Our oceans (& marine life) are under pressure from a number of man-made threats. Ranking them may not be easy, and probably not very useful.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that 31.4 percent of fish stocks are either fished to capacity or overfished.

“... The state of the world’s marine fish stocks has not improved overall, despite notable progress in some areas. Based on FAO’s analysis of assessed commercial fish stocks, the share of fish stocks within biologically sustainable levels decreased from 90 percent in 1974 to 68.6 percent in 2013. Thus, 31.4 percent of fish stocks were estimated as fished at a biologically unsustainable level and therefore overfished...”
Page 5 ➥ http://www.fao.org/3/a-i5555e.pdf

It’s not just over-fishing.
Ocean Health Index ➥ Home : Ocean Health Index

And, it’s not just fish. More than 27,000 species are threatened with extinction.
https://www.iucnredlist.org/

Old 13-06-2019, 07:51   #258

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The best speech ever!
... "I could say it, but I don’t want to say it, but some people said it was the best speech ever made by a president in Europe," he continued, declining to specify who had offered such praise. "But I did not say that. I’m just quoting other people.” ...
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...LGThRw.twitter
1:14 "...We put faith and family, not government and bureaucsasy, at the center of our lives.."

'Best speech'...ever misread from a teleprompter.

1:32 "...And, above all, we value the dignity of every human life, protect the rights of every person, and share the hope of every soul to live in freedom..."

Tell that to Jamal Kashoggi and all the children and families separated and detained (for their search for freedom, no less) at the southern border.

Yep, all the news '(un)fit to print'...post-truth indeed---is it contagious?
Old 13-06-2019, 10:10   #259

Boat: Valiant 42

Now you have broken a big rule Jim. Kashoggi was no freedom fighter as i am sure you know. He was in bed with ISIS pushing for Iran to overthrow the house of Saud. The Saudis are not perfect but the US press claiming Kashoggi is a freedom loving “journalist” is fake news at its worst.

Trump’s D-day anniversary speech was quite uplifting and well received in Europe. The occasion is not something that any side should use to beat one another up. All of us lost some relative in D-Day whether we know it or not. Please don’t sully their memory with Trump bashing. The price paid by those young farm boys from Iowa and Minnesota who just walked into a hail of bullets and kept doing it until they were either all dead or drove the Germans out are heroes. Shame on you or anyone else crawling over their corpses to make some idiotic political statement!
Old 13-06-2019, 13:35   #260

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

This says it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	College Aged Men Leaving Their Safe Space.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	193850  

Mae West
Old 13-06-2019, 13:42   #261

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Now you have broken a big rule Jim. Kashoggi was no freedom fighter as i am sure you know. He was in bed with ISIS pushing for Iran to overthrow the house of Saud. The Saudis are not perfect but the US press claiming Kashoggi is a freedom loving “journalist” is fake news at its worst.

Trump’s D-day anniversary speech was quite uplifting and well received in Europe. The occasion is not something that any side should use to beat one another up. All of us lost some relative in D-Day whether we know it or not. Please don’t sully their memory with Trump bashing. The price paid by those young farm boys from Iowa and Minnesota who just walked into a hail of bullets and kept doing it until they were either all dead or drove the Germans out are heroes. Shame on you or anyone else crawling over their corpses to make some idiotic political statement!
As I said,

"Yep, all the news '(un)fit to print'...post-truth indeed---is it contagious?"

The problem is that the 'speech' in question was not the 'well-received D-day anniversary speech', but one he made in Poland in July of 2017. His reasons for the trip and making that speech were, as most objective people have come to expect from him, dubious at best.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40497732

But I'm sure the BBC is also 'fake news'...

As for making political statements, while mine was definitely not political, in that it merely outlined the recorded, objective difference in the Trumpsters' words and actions, yours appears to be a distinctly political 'Trump uplifting' and justifying of the torture and murder of an unaccused, untried journalist, something that, for now at least, is supposedly outside the realm of accepted behavior in 'civilized' countries.

So, I would normally reply (leaving aside your false accusations of my motives and disregard of the two relevant points) 'Where is shame actually deserved?'... but I'm all too aware of the biases of those who have convinced themselves of certain (un)truths...
Old 13-06-2019, 13:55   #262
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

OK.

Seems it gets to blows every time. Political and Climate change.

Sigh.
Closed Thread