Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 18:11   #31

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: iPhone 10 Minutes Bottom Of Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by njwtech View Post
I lost a brand new Samsung Galaxy IIS out of my shirt pocket last summer. I couldn't retrieve it to try and dry it out. It was fresh water and I am pretty sure I could have salvaged it, but I couldn't get anyone to dive and get it. The visibility was only a couple of feet in the water and no one wanted to go in with the alligators that live in the marina...

Why are you looking at me like that... I wasn't going in after it!!
I don't blame you. I don't argue with them over golf balls that go their way when I play in Florida. My hand (arm) is worth more than any $200 phone.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 10:38   #32

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Decided to make good use of my zip lock bag of cell phone rice. Fried it like rice a roni and added a can of mushroom soup. Cooked it the way I like, fried in lots of butter till almost burnt.

Added a cup of water, soup and let simmer covered 20 minutes.

Not as good as steaks on the grill, but pretty good ending to a cellphone lost in 4 feet of lake water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-370623174.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	45191  
Old 20-08-2012, 17:17   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

My friend dropped his iphone in the bilge.

It was in the water for only seconds.

You can't take the battery out of the iphone.

The light came on and nothing else.

It got hot and stayed that way for a long time.

I got an iphone and used it for a few months before giving it to my son. I guess I just don't need those kind of gadgets to get by. Went back to my old Dinosaur flip phone.
Old 21-08-2012, 01:45   #34

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
There smart phones shine, has very little to do with a phone at all. Like a Swiss Army Knife does so much stuff, and o yes, it is also a Pocket knife.

This post, and the food post above, all none on the app made for this web site.

I know the temp, which way the wind is blowing and for how long, stock prices, moon phases, order lunch and have it delivered, order shoes so I can walk to get lunch, bid on eBay, ship package for eBay sale, look at puppies and sailboats on Craig's list, text the trouble and strife, see that she got home safe on a map that shows her location, wipe her phone out remotely should it get stolen, watch you tube videos, and post them. The things a smart phone will do is endless.

Interested in seeing the temp on the boat, checking to see that the bilge is dry and starting the coffee maker so a fresh cup awaits you when you get to the boat? There is an app for that.
Old 21-08-2012, 08:48   #35

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I also love my Motorola Defy - here's mine in the fish tank, right after I got it:

You can also get your iphone nano-coated:

Liquipel | Make Your Cell Phone Watersafe, No Case Required!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 09:36   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
There smart phones shine, has very little to do with a phone at all. Like a Swiss Army Knife does so much stuff, and o yes, it is also a Pocket knife.

This post, and the food post above, all none on the app made for this web site.

I know the temp, which way the wind is blowing and for how long, stock prices, moon phases, order lunch and have it delivered, order shoes so I can walk to get lunch, bid on eBay, ship package for eBay sale, look at puppies and sailboats on Craig's list, text the trouble and strife, see that she got home safe on a map that shows her location, wipe her phone out remotely should it get stolen, watch you tube videos, and post them. The things a smart phone will do is endless.

Interested in seeing the temp on the boat, checking to see that the bilge is dry and starting the coffee maker so a fresh cup awaits you when you get to the boat? There is an app for that.

I understand that stuff and I did some of it. But I didn't leave items "turned on" on the boat while I had it. Don't you have to have something running (another gadget) 24/7 to "see" your bilge?

But one thing I did was to use it to find the closest West Marine store. Actually the distance - out of curiosity. I knew where it was.

It did not come up in the list of closest stores. Only the ones 15 and 22 miles away. The one I knew about was less than 5. How is that?

I tested this on several occasions.

I also tested it on some other known places with sometimes similar results.

If I had been in someone else's town I would have driven right by the near store to go to the far store.

What good is that?

There are other things also..........
Old 21-08-2012, 11:42   #37

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I glued a leash to my phone in the Antigua, after I dropped two in the drink. When I got to the US, started buying Insurance.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone