Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2007, 15:38   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Thumbs down Japanese Whaling Fleet At It Again.

Something to brighten your day up,

The fight against whaling continues

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10419439

The truth about Greenpeace and whaling

http://www.seashepherd.org/editorials/editorial_061220_1.html

Greenpeace respond's

http://www.seashepherd.org/editorials/editorial_061221_1.html

Sea Sheperd's letter to Australian Senator Ian Campbell

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_070110_1.html

And if whaling isnt bad enough, here's another reason to be less than impressed with the Japanese fisherman.
This is only an article, but be warned, if you look at the video, that is disturbing.

http://www.seashepherd.org/taiji/

What is wrong with these people ?

Dave

Old 16-01-2007, 15:50   #2

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Please excuse my language but f*ck those Japanese whalers they should be stopped at all costs. Those people on the seashepherd boats are nothing short of valiant and awsome and I want to be one. We have got to start getting our act together when it comes to this planet. There are only so warning signs you get and then a lot of people die in a short period of time. This is what happens when you neglect the environment. We can not go on living with our eyes closed. Stop killing whales, cutting down forests, spilling oil, and driving cars when unnecessary. Jesus Arrrrgh WTF??? How thick skulled are people?...don't answer that.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 16:47   #3

The only way to stop the Japs from slaughtering whales is to hurt them financially. Tell them future trade depends on it. Or boycott Japanese goods.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 17:20   #4

It's not just the whales though, it's dolphin's as well

And if whaling isnt bad enough, here's another reason to be less than impressed with the Japanese fisherman.
This is only an article, but be warned, if you look at the video, that is disturbing.

http://www.seashepherd.org/taiji/

What is wrong with these people ?

Check out all the people coming in for a look, but not doing anything

Dave
Old 17-01-2007, 00:29   #5

I didn't go to any of the links,"know about it,don't need to see it!"But it's not just whales and dolphins.Don't get me wrong,I love my seafood,but chances are ya fish comes from the same situation.Rape the whale/rape the stock of fish in the oceans.I have worked as a proffesional fisherman and have seen on a daily base as to what is not accepted on the market,thrown back dead never to replenish fish stocks ,like, small fish of the same fish their after,and let me tell you there are no fishery police monitoring that count.What can be caught at ya local river/beach is the best indication of whats really out there and thriving.For those that don't fish recreationally,It's ZIP,NADA,ZILCH,and we see it in whale watching as well.Whaling is piss poor and down right wrong but it's not "ALL" the Japanese people's fault only some.Humans,funny little buggers when ya come to think of it,We screw the first frontier,and befor we screw the second we're out there about to screw the third.I carumba,Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 00:45   #6

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Aye carumbu is right. I swear sometimes I think people should be nuetered and spade that way there would be less of us committing these atrocities, I am not kidding.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 02:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This is not simple neglect, but abuse.
Neglect (benign or otherwise) is a policy of ignoring a situation, instead of assuming responsibility for managing or improving it.
Criminal negligence describes where the criminal law holds people at fault for their failures to act (neglect).
Abuse (mistreatment and maltreatment) describes an activity that causes hurt, harm, or injury (often intentionally).

There's a big difference between standing idly by and watching a crime (not helping)
and
Actually participating in a crime (hurting)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 03:56   #8

Mudnut, I do believe we are shutting down a lot of the trawling fleet , in QLD at least , for the very reason's you've said.

But saying that I agree that is a joke that the by catch was thrown back in. After all could not a lot of it been used for bait?

Netting of creek's is the same. I remember a few years ago being parked in Wathoomba creek near the top of Frazer Island, and asking a commercial fisherman for some throwbacks as bait.

When he left a couple of hour's later he produced a near full 25 kg bag of whiting for me. Reckon's thet could'nt be sold, yet I see whiting smaller than this whenever we go to a fish shop.

Needless to say I cleaned whiting for hour's and did'nt bother fishing, and had whiting for breakfast lunch and dinner for a week.

The Dingo's liked the frames.

Dave.
Old 18-01-2007, 02:16   #9
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Dave, Good post. Glad you brought the subject up. The Dolphin kill is indeed a shocker and the whale slaughter is without any credible defence.
It should also be mentioned that the Wandering Albatross is endangered due to their habit of going for baits set by the long line tuna boats and turtles are headed the same way as a result of them getting caught up in drift nets (along with dolphins and porpoises) . Not to mention the Blue Fin Tuna itself which is rapidly approaching population meltdown.

Some of you may have read about the celebrities who sponsored a group of Shy Albatross. Tracking devices were fitted to the birds before they set off on their journey into the southern ocean. Of the thirty odd birds tagged only a couple made it back. The rest presumably joined the estimated 300,000 Albatross killed each year. There are currently 21 species of Albatross on the endangered list

What I find particularly appalling about the whale kill, apart from the sheer brutality which is bad enough, is that the market for whalemeat in Japan is in decline and they can't even sell what they are currently slaughtering. It should also be noted that while Japan is the worst offender Norway and Iceland are Japan's main allies along with various Pacific Island nations who are supporting Japan possibly for their own economic gain. The International Whaling Commission is only one or two votes away from reversing the ban on whaling and many anti whaling nations believe this years forum will see the pros win out. The Pros could have overturned the ban last year except that three new member nations didn't pay their dues on time. (Togo only just made the cut when they turned up with a brown paper bag full of Japanese Yen.)
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 10:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Norway and Iceland are Japan's main allies along with various Pacific Island nations who are supporting Japan possibly for their own economic gain.
That is correct. Japan is "buying" votes from the Pacific Island countries by supporting the finacialy. They hold the island to ransome by saying, you don't vote, you don't get money. NZ has been workign hard at trying to turn that around. We seem to take a step forward and then back, but we are slowly gaining ground in somethings. This year, Tonga managed to set up a Tourist industry based on the whales in their waters. So they are now finding other means of finacial support.
I am not so sure about the market of Whale declining in Japan. I think it is more a case of Meat is harder to get, is considered a delicasy and so it is bought more for special occasions now than standard fare. The Jap Whaling fleet is wanting to increase the take. The thing that bugs me the most is the disguise in which they do it. Scientific studies. Yeah right. Why don't they just say it is for market.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 14:33   #11
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Wheels,
Have a read of this.
The Whale Museum News
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote