Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2007, 14:50   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Just WTF is wrong with people?

Sorry I couldn't find an appropriate place for this post but read this....

The Connecticut Post Online - Troubles grow at East End yacht club

Now tell me just what the hell is wrong with people who do this? Have they no respect for anything? Having been a landlord I've been through my share of midnight movers and damage and can understand some of why they do it but deliberatly burning boats after they've damaged and robbed them? That's just spite! I hope they catch the buggers and string them up on a yard arm!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:00   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
That is sad. Not meaning to minimize it at all, but these people are criminals. I could go into rather great length as to what seems to be wrong with them and how they might have come to the point of having no respect for anything, but in the end it wouldn't tell you what you don't already know. I hope they get caught, too, and prosecuted to the full extent possible.

If you are more interested in how people come to be like this, then I would suggest Robert Hare's book, Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. Robert Hare's Page for the Study of Psychopaths, "Sociopaths", Violent Offenders, Serial Killers... It represents the best of the current thinking and research into criminality.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:17   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I know I might anger a bunch of folks by saying that part of the problem is not enough armed liveaboards and too many folks let run amock upon the public by the legal system.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:03   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Well, I don't know that armed liveaboards is necessarily a better answer, but I imagine marinas with a larger number of liveaboards (armed or not) may have fewer incidents like this, just from the fact that more people are around -- criminals don't like being seen and heard by non-criminals and tend to stay away from such situations.

Regarding "too many folks let run amock...by the legal system", the sad part of this is that criminology and forensic psychology has developed to the point where we can, with pretty darn good accuracy, predict who will be a problem and who will not. Those tools could enable a society to (1) put in place preventive interventions to keep at least some of those people from going down the criminal path in the first place (and, yes, we actually have some interventions along these lines with demonstrated effectiveness); and (2) identify those people who are resistant to change and likely to reoffend and then treat them differently (as in, keep them incarcerated) than those who do respond to interventions. However, actually doing this stuff requires political will and a budget sufficient to do it.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:27   #5
cruiser

Wow... that's a hard read, and so close to home.

My reaction was the same as SkiprJohn. If only they allowed liveaboards, they probably wouldn't be in that mess. It's to everyone's detriment to ban us from marinas. We're free security. In the mostly empty marinas I've been in for the past 2 years in the same general area (and a worse ghetto this year), there have been absolutely no break ins. Why? The cops would be here in 15 minutes if any of the liveaboards heard a boat getting smashed. Also, if the people stealing the items jumped on my boat, they'd be in for a world of hurt. Not only do I have a maul and a chainsaw standing by, but I have a few more tricks ready to go too.

As crazy and useless as liveaboards seem sometimes, we do keep your boats safe - even in storms.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:45   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Definetly should be more liveaboard's. As you all state they are free security.

Maybe they should give subsidised rates for liveaboard's [as if that would happen]

Pic from the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

Look out bad guy's Sean's got a chainsaw, and he's comin' for you

Dave
Old 15-01-2007, 16:48   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
You have a chainsaw on a sailboat???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 16:58   #8
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Liveaboards are essential for marina security. The density of easy targets and quick Ebay sale items is too tempting. I have the phone numbers of every liveaboard on my dock and I make sure they have mine. On several occasions thay have called me to inform me of a bilge pump running, canvas blowing off, dockline broken and even nasty birds taking-up residence on my spreaders.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 18:24   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
You have a chainsaw on a sailboat???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but its primary use isn't security.

We cut and split all of our own wood for use in our wood stove which is our primary heater when the temps dip toward and below freezing.

Really, the maul is a faster thing to get up and running for the bad guys. The chainsaw isn't as quickly deployed and started. I wouldn't hesitate to pop up with the maul to keep theives away from my boat or other boats on the dock.

As I was saying... free security.

Love that chainsaw massacre pic... ha ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 21:47   #10
Kai Nui

I also have a chainsaw on board. It may get left behind now that I am no longer on a wood boat, but...