Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 12:16   #151

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Kayaks and Death Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Because it's not needed.The towboat has towing lights.The logbooms aren't vessels.Or do you infer from these lights that instead of kayaks being barges and sailing vessels ,they can also be logbooms?because the same lights are allowed for each?

The lighting rule for logbooms is this...

(g) An inconspicuous, partly submerged vessel or object, or combination of such vessels or objects being towed, shall exhibit:
  • (i) if it is less than 25 meters in breadth, one all-round white light at or near the front end and one at or near the after end except that dracones need not exhibit a light at or near the forward end;
  • (ii) if it is 25 meters or more in breadth, two or more additional all-round white lights at or near the extremities of its breadth;
  • (iii) if it exceeds 100 meters in length, additional all-round white lights between the lights prescribed in subparagraphs (i) and (ii) so that the distance between the lights shall not exceed 100 meters.;
  • (iv) a diamond shape at or near the aftermost extremity of the last vessel or object being towed and if the length of the tow exceeds 200 meters an additional diamond shape where it can best be seen and located as far forward as is practicable.
I'm not sure you have a clue what the intent of the Navrules are....when something shows a white light...you go around, no questions asked...why would the rules intend something different in daytime?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:22   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Under COLREGS ALL vessels have the responsibility to do whatever actions are necessary to avoid a collision. Any action taken should be early and disstinctive enough to be unmistakable to the other vessel.
You are as bad as the rest...sure avoid a collision at all costs...when a kayaker is seen...go around because you can... even in a sailboat that some here think is an earthly kingdom of heaven...when a potential for collision exists..the stand on vessel holds course and speed till extremis...then takes action to avoid a collision....(for all the privelege, etc wannabe guys...it's now stand on/give way vessels...)

What planet are some of you guys boating on????...I'm on the water as a pro every day and it's pretty easy to follow the rules except for the arrogant amatuers or the former pro's that want to argue the gnat's behind of the rules instead of using a little common sense.
Old 26-05-2011, 12:28   #153

Funny how in another thread, how many sailors bashed those who questioned the wisdom of sailing into a marina slip when the engine was out. Now how many sailors claim they are burdened by sailing around a kayak in open water...gotta love internet wizards.
Old 26-05-2011, 12:48   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Let's keep it friendly. Colregs are a subject that sometimes get heated but there's no reason not to discuss things in a friendly manner.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 12:51   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Let's keep it friendly. Colregs are a subject that sometimes get heated but there's no reason not to discuss things in a friendly manner.
No heat...I'm laughing as hard as the rest I'm sure....
Old 26-05-2011, 13:10   #156

I hate when these darn kayakers get in my way....I got a cigarette in my mouth, a beer in my hand , and trying to eat my leftover Big Mac from Mcdonalds...Plus i have to stand up to see them , way too much effort !! Why would anyone want to paddle a kayak ? I have the same problem with cyclists on the highway. Get outta my way !!
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 14:01   #157
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
yesterday around 1700 i was under full sail in light fog and there was someone in the middle of the channel on a stand up paddleboard and had the audacity to flip me off for what they thought was coming too close to them which i wasnt.. i cant imagine a power boat cruising at open throttle seeing them at last second would do ..
I don't think that was because he was a Kayaker. It was because he was an Arsehole. and a not very bright one at that........foggy conditions. larger vessel - lets hope he never meets someone with a SOH having a bad day.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:41   #158

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are as bad as the rest...sure avoid a collision at all costs...when a kayaker is seen...go around because you can... even in a sailboat that some here think is an earthly kingdom of heaven...when a potential for collision exists..the stand on vessel holds course and speed till extremis...then takes action to avoid a collision....(for all the privelege, etc wannabe guys...it's now stand on/give way vessels...)

What planet are some of you guys boating on????...I'm on the water as a pro every day and it's pretty easy to follow the rules except for the arrogant amatuers or the former pro's that want to argue the gnat's behind of the rules instead of using a little common sense.
It's called Planet Real World. It's the fast and the dead here. As I said before, you are right, of course. But if you follow this rule hard and fast even in the busiest sea ways in this world, you will come second best. No less because there are entire fleets of wooden fishing boats with no lights at night who have absolutely never, ever, heard of these things that foreigners talk about. They have no Coast Guard to speak of, and if they do, a couple of bottles buys them out. Also, when the VLCCs and freighters don't follow the rules, and I assure you they do not, it is healthier to give way early and get out of their path.
Old 26-05-2011, 18:01   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
It's called Planet Real World. It's the fast and the dead here. As I said before, you are right, of course. But if you follow this rule hard and fast even in the busiest sea ways in this world, you will come second best. No less because there are entire fleets of wooden fishing boats with no lights at night who have absolutely never, ever, heard of these things that foreigners talk about. They have no Coast Guard to speak of, and if they do, a couple of bottles buys them out. Also, when the VLCCs and freighters don't follow the rules, and I assure you they do not, it is healthier to give way early and get out of their path.

No kidding..but that's not really what we were originally discussing...a (or several) kayak(s) and the average cruising/daysailing sailboat was the OP's lead in.

As I said before...most of the sailor's here should easily be able to avoid kayaker's, pesky as they may be, unless it's a narrow, shallow channel situation...and I'd bet that a maritime hearing would agree (general seamanship rule - rule 2)
Old 26-05-2011, 18:20   #160

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
while making sure not having a collision is the desired intent...there is this little issue...

Rule 17

(a)
    1. Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
Sorry, I thought we were talking about this.
Old 26-05-2011, 21:10   #161

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It was a joke. I think the expectation that everything is going to be covered by Colregs is unreasonable as is the expectation that people on the water are going to do a better job interpreting them them folks in this forum seem able to do. As Mark Pierce suggested, common sense might be a good approach to take.
I get that. It's an exercise is all .The odd pip does pop up....but needs a debate to squeeze it out.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 21:26   #162

Quote:
Funny how in another thread, how many sailors bashed those who questioned the wisdom of sailing into a marina slip when the engine was out. Now how many sailors claim they are burdened by sailing around a kayak in open water...gotta love internet wizards.
Relax man.It's a debate,is all.Most here could take either "side" with facility,I bet.
No way I'd run down some kayak for sake of a (non-existent?)rule and neither would anyone here.
Old 26-05-2011, 21:39   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
yesterday around 1700 i was under full sail in light fog and there was someone in the middle of the channel on a stand up paddleboard and had the audacity to flip me off for what they thought was coming too close to them which i wasnt.. i cant imagine a power boat cruising at open throttle seeing them at last second would do ..
...an uncivil world now.Nobody trusts each other as empathetic.... ...Likely it's like a motorcycle. Being on a paddleboard I mean.The vulnerability makes you very touchy about "space" and you "act out" ...
Old 26-05-2011, 21:52   #164

Boat: Skookum 53'

#1 unwritten international rule of the road is "tonnage has the right of way" #2 is "you are just as dead if you are dead right as you are when you are dead wrong."
For those whom wish to discuss the minutiae of the interpretation of collregs manual please read the disclaimer at the start of almost every page. As it currently stands in maritime court if you have a collision the court will apportion blame to each of the parties for having a collision, no one is cleared for allowing a collision just because they are the stand on vessel.
Old 26-05-2011, 22:35   #165

Boat: K Peterson 44

well, I love having a kayak aboard our sailboat.....When anchored in some places in the Sea of Cortez, I had the best time exploring the shorelines and getting some exercise and space off the boat....Just remember to think and be aware --- your kayak can be more handy than a dinghy and lots more fun!
arleen is offline   Reply With Quote