Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 00:56   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Kayaks and Death Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
I don't wear tie-dye when kayaking, lest I be seen as a deadhead....
I do detect a "Touch of Grey" however.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 02:00   #92

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It does seem reasonable not to run them over.

(poisoned as they are by good intentions).
Exaccery but if you say did run one over the driftwood would be having a bad day so I should not stop as im in a hurry and if ive injure someone, im not a doctor, and if I did stop I would just add to the confusion as to whats happened. No we should leave them alone that may make there day seem worse as id be getting in there way and harassing them as they have just had a major accident who am I to get in there way the last thing they need is me asking dumb questions and this happened back there, and thats the past so I should just get on with my life and let them get on with theirs.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 07:42   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Exaccery but if you say did run one over the driftwood would be having a bad day so I should not stop as im in a hurry and if ive injure someone, im not a doctor, and if I did stop I would just add to the confusion as to whats happened. No we should leave them alone that may make there day seem worse as id be getting in there way and harassing them as they have just had a major accident who am I to get in there way the last thing they need is me asking dumb questions and this happened back there, and thats the past so I should just get on with my life and let them get on with theirs.
That pretty much sums it up!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 07:54   #94
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay!!!! i8 kno9w i am driftwood, but i am driftwood with attitude and a goal--- to get to my formosa alive-- i try to remain away from bigger things than am i...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:25   #95

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm curious and need to know. How well do kayaks, canoes, and rowboats show up on radar?
Good question. I've also wondered about that? Perhaps next time before you run one of us down, you might turn on the radar and make a few notes, for the enlightenment of the "driftwood" community?

Ah Ha! Maybe a business opportunity here for tech guys like Microship? A sou'wester with a built in radar reflector? A tin foil hat?
Old 25-05-2011, 08:33   #96

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm curious and need to know. How well do kayaks, canoes, and rowboats show up on radar?
Clutter.

Good point,markpierce!A radar reflector should be included in all of em..something "deployable" up high.You've reminded me to put one in my dinghy too.Thanks!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:36   #97

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I recall being on top of a mob of kayakers (sp?) and they had only showed up as sea clutter. Was trolling slowly so no drama but they weren't as surprised as I was... guess they heard my engine through the rain and mist... maybe tin foil hats would help... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:43   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I am the proud owner of a beautiful Pygmi Kyak. I will only use it on warm days near the dock till I learn to roll. I plan to tow it on some trips this summer. That should be interesting. I also need a real sea trial of my reboarding ladder since I will likely fall in atleast once trying to get out of the kyak and onto Idora. I think Mark J should try one. They don't need to be pumped up! Not only that but think of all those sweet hippy greenie girls he could meet. Nothing but Swave and Deboner.

Todd
Getting from a sail boat to kayak and back can be challenging. I can manage it from our Newport but it takes a fair bit of upper body strength. If I have the inflatable dinghy along side it is much easier to go from kayak to dinghy to sail boat.

Since our boat is really too small to carry our hardshell kayaks, we recently purhcased an inflatable kayak for use with the boat. Ours is an "AdvancedFrame Expedition" from Advanced Elements (http://www.advancedelements.com/advancedframe_ex.html). Not too expensive, and can be rigged as a single or double. Not what I would choose for a long kayak trip, but more than adequate for exploration from the mothership. There are a number of other good inflatable kayaks out there.

Inflatable kayaks also tend to bounce off, when other sailors mistake me for driftwood!
Old 25-05-2011, 08:51   #99
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kayak to formosa to kayak isnt bad--i have more trouble getting into a dink then into a kayak...is easier to and from the boarding ladder i use on my formosa....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:57   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
I'm suprised at all the animosity towards kayakers! I guess I was a kayaker before I started sailing, and my kayak cost almost as much as my sail boat, so maybe my view is different. In Canada they are treated just like any other vessel and follow the rules of the road as defined for power vessels. Stipulated safety equipment must be carried at all times. I guess kayaking is a bit of a touristy attraction and this is where the big clueless groups come from, but normally they travel in well known areas. A good kayaker though will never assume another vessel can see him unless it is obvious.
Hey,not so animous.Just jokes with a point.They are hard to see,(whatever colour) in a chop.Many do travel in loose clusters and it's really hard to tell who's tail-end...I see 'em(most of them?) mid-channel in a chopup ahead wondering and hesitating as I yaw down onto em,self-steering wobbling in the gusts...a cruise ship coming up the other side.My apologies.I'll take over in time(but with steering one hand on a tiller,the other on binoculars,it gets not much better)....,slow down,even round up in a pinch but they can't know that,it's true.

PS maybe a flag as was popular on bicycles ...not for all the time,just when you need it...A good thing for the Group Leaders too?
Old 25-05-2011, 09:12   #101

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Idealistically, I would like to like kayakers. Especially considering I am one.

Pragmatically, they are the most annoying thing on the lake.

Lake Union, right in the heart of downtown Seattle, has plenty of kayak rental shops, so on any sunny weekend, there will be at least 100 of these pesky buggers on the water!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:17   #102

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I recall being on top of a mob of kayakers (sp?) and they had only showed up as sea clutter. Was trolling slowly so no drama but they weren't as surprised as I was... guess they heard my engine through the rain and mist... maybe tin foil hats would help... Capt Phil
Sea Clutter...great description!

BTW, we have two inflatable kayaks on our Dragonfly.
They fit in ama lockers and are only used to get around in an anchorage.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:52   #103

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Therefore by my interpretation the term "machinery" in the colregs would include ,but not be limited to, engine(s), oar(s), paddle(s) and any other mechanical form of propulsion. Therefore a kayak has the same rights as a supertanker under the colregs.
If you read further down the regulations to #25, one will see that a vessel under oars is clearly separate from a vessel propelled by machinery and in more or less the same category as a vessel under sail:

Quote:
25. Lights for sailing and rowing vessels Sailing vessels underway and vessels under oars
(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit: 1. sidelights;2. a sternlight. (b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 metres (66 ft) in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.(d) 1. A sailing vessel of less than 7 metres (23.0 ft) in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. 2. A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. (e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards.
In short the regulations place rowed vessels in the same category a sailing vessels when the latter are not also using engines. Colregs thus do not consider a rowed vessel as being propelled by machinery.
Old 25-05-2011, 10:41   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Hey,not so animous.Just jokes with a point.They are hard to see,(whatever colour) in a chop.Many do travel in loose clusters and it's really hard to tell who's tail-end...
Often the first thing you will see is the paddles. A sort of rhythmic flash flash flash. That can also give you a clue as to which direction they are heading.

I think sometimes the paddlers (the ones who don't also sail) get confused by sail boats. They don't quite grasp the idea that sailboats have to tack in the wind. They get confused and don't understand which way you are heading.

When paddling I worry a lot more about getting run over by powerboats. The move a lot faster than sailboats, and it's harder to get out of their way in time. A big powerboat up on step, ripping around a point, scares the bejeepers out of me!
Old 25-05-2011, 10:48   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
If you read further down the regulations to #25, one will see that a vessel under oars is clearly separate from a vessel propelled by machinery and in more or less the same category as a vessel under sail:

In short the regulations place rowed vessels in the same category a sailing vessels when the latter are not also using engines. Colregs thus do not consider a rowed vessel as being propelled by machinery.
What's a barge?A sailing vessel?It carries the same lights