Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 09:15   #1

Boat: Ocean Twins 38
Land Squalls

This week, I've learned about the speed at which a minor storm can kick up. Luckily, I was on the ground. It gave me insight to "reef early." In the span of a minute, it went from calm and nice to a 3°C drop and a gust of 25 kts. A mixture of rain and snow plastered the side of the helicopter. I'm glad we were on the ground.

Further weather analysis was interesting. Rising pressure (0.02"Hg in 30 min), wide, evenly spaced isobars on the weather maps, a cold front cleared in the previous 6 hours, the only low was a trough out past the Cascades on the coast (we're in central Oregon).

Great lesson in unpredictability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1487869559092.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	141824   Click image for larger version

Name:	1487869589901.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	141825  

steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:27   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Land Squalls

Yes.

Small wx cells (born mostly on overland boundaries) are pretty common, but this far not scanned nor reported to the public quickly enough. Maybe the military can see them in area of their ongoing activity.

Us we are just bound to look at the skies. But just imagine one incoming at night ...

Hence a question: do you have a radar in your chopper?

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

Small wx cells (born mostly on overland boundaries) are pretty common, but this far not scanned nor reported to the public quickly enough. Maybe the military can see them in area of their ongoing activity.

Us we are just bound to look at the skies. But just imagine one incoming at night ...

Hence a question: do you have a radar in your chopper?

Cheers,
b.
Nope. I rely on weather websites, data from automated weather stations in flight, and looking outside to see what's going on. There are spendy gadgets that can pick up radar broadcasts that translate to a map on the iPad in flight though. It's not a bad tool to have aboard older, cheaper helis.

Night squalls though, yikes.
Old 23-02-2017, 13:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Steveh3b,

Night squalls can sometimes be seen in advance at sea by what looks like a darker shadow in the darkness. Usually turning on the radar to have a look will show the area of rainfall, which, after you figure out which direction it is moving, you can avoid it or just catch the side.

That's a pretty little chopper, mate.

Ann
Old 23-02-2017, 14:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Steveh3b,

Night squalls can sometimes be seen in advance at sea by what looks like a darker shadow in the darkness. Usually turning on the radar to have a look will show the area of rainfall, which, after you figure out which direction it is moving, you can avoid it or just catch the side.

That's a pretty little chopper, mate.

Ann
Great info. I'm guessing I could probably bring my pressure altimeter with me, and I might be able to pick up decent weather from Stratus towers along the coast, radar would be better though.

I wish it was my chopper. I'm finishing up my certifications, but maybe once I'm done, if I can't find a tour or instructor job on the coast, I might go in with a friend on one and start a little business. They're fun.
Old 23-02-2017, 16:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveth3b View Post
Nope. I rely on weather websites, data from automated weather stations in flight, and looking outside to see what's going on. There are spendy gadgets that can pick up radar broadcasts that translate to a map on the iPad in flight though. It's not a bad tool to have aboard older, cheaper helis.

Night squalls though, yikes.
Envy here. I can only afford an RC heli here BUT sure I will buy a real one when I am rich enough.

As a small craft like this is so much faster than any boat, can you outrun all/most weather?

Is the speed of your craft part of your weather planning?

barnakiel
envious
Old 23-02-2017, 17:02   #7

That one's at 130 knots (Vne- velocity never exceed, altitude/weather dependent). You can probably outrun most weather, but how smooth that air will be is another story. Best to just keep in on the ground in a hangar in those cases. Especially if the dew point spread is low. Those aren't rated for flight in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (blind in the clouds or fog). They might be faster, but turbulence pushes them around a little more.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:03   #8

An amazing machine! We watched a similar small heli landing on a wharf maybe 100 yards from the place we were anchored. There was some med emergency in St Pierre and the only place to touch down was their city wharf. Man, what a view!

I had to quick read the 'dew point spread'. Sure thing one wants to know where they are going, especially when going at +100 knots!

I hope the wind is fine by now and you are enjoying a sunny morning. Perhaps a great day to fly some!

Cheers,
b.