Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2007, 08:11   #1

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Luger 21' Worth refitting? Pics of the project.

I found a 21' Luger 1976 on E-bay that I have seen listed before.I am intersted in buying it to fix up to be as good as new and sell. I would do all of the labor needed myself and repairs.

About 8 months ago I bought a Mac 25 off of E-bay for $1,125 and have since fixed it up to where I am about to sell if for no less that 5k and I have put maybe 1.5k into not including labor which I do for the experience more that anything else.

I am thinking about driving the hour and a half to the Luger and checking it out next week. The pictures look pretty bad but I figure if the hull is in good shape and the mast, rigging, rudder, and keel are in good condition that everthing else I could handle without haveing to purchase large things that would cost a pretty penny.

What should I be looking for when I look at the boat? How should I go about inspecting certain things on the boat? What could be MAJOR problems I might run into to ruin my project?

If I buy the boat for say $700 dollars tops then would the market for this older boat ('76) be good enough in the spring to sell her.

The bad thing about the boat is that water sat in it for an unknown period of time. WHat kind of major damage could that do to a boat other than ruin the wood(I am a pretty well rounded carpenter). I am speaking of the fiberglass.

eBay Motors: Luger 21' Project Sailboat (item 120184136334 end time Nov-21-07 19:00:23 PST)

Check it out! Tell me what you think!
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 08:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It's a kit boat with a home built trailer. This one would be a real project given that some aspects of it might not have been done properly in the first place. I would continue to look for more popular production boats that you have a hope of doing a great restore job on.

Any buyer will know this was a kit boat and be very cautious. It's not that kit boats are all bad. I have Friends that built a Corbin and it was a rock solid boat but he was an engineer and added a lot to the design as well. It's always better if what you are starting with has a know original design that could be repaired back to a known standard. A kit boat gone bad gets into real deal breakers that any buyer would and should be leery about.

The Mac 25 was a good choice, but this one I would pass on. Mac's are somewhat popular so a fixed up one is a good thing to try to sell. There has to be better projects boats than this one closer to home.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 09:13   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Look a little closer. That rudder has a BIG blister near the bottom.

I'd run the other direction even if it were free.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 11:45   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Lugers were very popular kit boats and each builder kind of did their own thing with them. Some used good materials and fasteners and fittings. Some did not. My opinion is that even in pristine condition they will not fetch a good price when you get it fixed up.
You'll be replacing a lot of dry rotted bulkheads because of standing freshwater in the bilge and doing a lot of glass tabbing. It is major work.
What ever you decide to do good luck in your endeavor.
Try for another Mac, Venture, Catalina for the resale value.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 11:56   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Because it is a home built it will not sell for much, if at all. Personally, I wouldn't even make the drive...................................._/)
Old 15-11-2007, 12:08   #6

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Personally, I would not pay more than 150$ for the shape it is in. I have refit several boats from junk. The fact is it really isn't worth much. Once restored some of the main things that would give it value are: Aesthetics(which you can do for cheap) Good sails, rigging, good outboard, good cushions. All of the later things are pricey, even if you do them your self. (I don't think you can make an outboard).

I would email the guy and tell him you'll take it off his hands (for free).

I seriously doubt any $$ could be made off it. But, if you simply enjoy restoring boats... Why not.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 12:11   #7

Boat: B24
I don’t have the exact reservations as some of the others… Lugars are Lugars and were never investment grade boating, but if you want to “finish” a kit, there is a certain attractiveness – even with the bubbled rudder, but I’d want to make sure all the major components are there and generally serviceable (center-board, rigging, etc…)… with that little boat, there isn’t a whole lot that can wrong and they were one of the popular trailer-sailor alternatives for the do-it-yourself crowd of the 60s-70s.

I looked at one, and the 26’ (I think ) model as well, at Lugar’s Minnesota showroom sometime back in the area…. Pretty basic and not a lot to go wrong that can’t be fixed if you have the inclination to tackle such a project in the first place – but I never liked all the Plexiglas on what was effectively the upper hull… Might be worth a look; however, unless you just want that size boat you probably can get a bit more boat for not a whole lot more money by staying tuned to eBay… I’m amazed at the fascinating boats that pop up there form time to time…
Old 15-11-2007, 15:24   #8

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Thanks Alot!

Well, I appreciate all of the replys. GLad most people on here know more about that boat than I do. I knew it was a kit boat but not alot about them. I knew it would be a daunting task, but not on a practically worthless boat.

Looks as if I will try my hand at another of the recommended boats.

Thank You All!
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:56   #9

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Luger 21' Worth refitting? Pics of the project.

Just picked up a Luger Southwind 21. Yep, over 40 gallons of freshwater in the bilge.
Not a drop on the pavement beneath it. Hull appears solid. Some new rigging and some wood, a little lipstick on this pig. May find our way to a Regatta...!!! ;-)
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:11   #10

Well, the dirt around the center board boot has finally washed out and water is dripping from every screw... so much for solid hull.!
Also noticed that the boot is of galvanized sheet metal with no support to prevent port and starboard movement...ie; future leaks without a modification...
So, stainless steel and bulkhead modification is the plan.
Suggestions.?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Well, the dirt around the center board boot has finally washed out and water is dripping from every screw... so much for solid hull.!
Also noticed that the boot is of galvanized sheet metal with no support to prevent port and starboard movement...ie; future leaks without a modification...
So, stainless steel and bulkhead modification is the plan.
Suggestions.?
Sorry to hear of your discoveries. All is not lost. Just have to stick with the repairs.
Are you referring to the centerboard trunk? Photos would be helpful if you'd like a suggestion.
kind regards,
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55   #12

Did you follow the restoration project of a Luger Leeward on here? Just do a search and maybe you'll find some helpful reading.
Old 03-02-2014, 16:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Sorry to hear of your discoveries. All is not lost. Just have to stick with the repairs.
Are you referring to the centerboard trunk? Photos would be helpful if you'd like a suggestion.
kind regards,
Oooops. Fiberglass boot with heavier metal at pivot for center board.
Again, I'm woried about port and starboard movement. Have discovered some flaking glass and resin in boot. I know I'm missing something but what? The Luger diagram, found on line, shows this boot attached to the bottom of the vessel and not through the hull so,?
Upload pictures... Again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140203 054.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	75266   Click image for larger version

Name:	140203 080.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	75268  

Click image for larger version

Name:	140203 083.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	75269   Click image for larger version

Name:	140203 065.jpg
Views:	1956
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	75270  

Old 03-02-2014, 17:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Did you follow the restoration project of a Luger Leeward on here? Just do a search and maybe you'll find some helpful reading.
I'll have to research those threads. I'm not lost just dis-oriented...
Old 03-02-2014, 18:45   #15

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad-106724.html

There you go! There should be some triangular tabs that hold the centerboard trunk from moving side to side. They might be rotted away or taken away on your boat.

Do you have any blueprints/diagrams?