Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 12:21   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"This is where MacArthur got run out of the PI and vowed "I Shall Return." Then left his deputy commanders there to suffer "
In my limited knowledge of this, McA was *ordered* to leave and he did so under protest. He was evacuated by PT boats (limited capacity) and since he was still under orders to fight a delaying action--he HAD to leave others in command. This was not his choice to make.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 13:03   #47

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
Speaking of which, Lori, please hurry - he is running rampent about the place and just generally misbehaving - we can't do a thing with him!
Well I can see I will have to have several "slap the captain silly" drills when I get home.....just 13 days!

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 13:06   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
OMG .. 13 days??!!?? We HAVE to batten down ALL hatches ... NOW!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 13:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
In my limited knowledge of this, McA was *ordered* to leave and he did so under protest. He was evacuated by PT boats (limited capacity) and since he was still under orders to fight a delaying action--he HAD to leave others in command. This was not his choice to make.
That is exactly how it is presented in the archives here. He was ordered to go and did so under protest. He also felt that he could garner more support for the crisis in the Pacific if he left....at the time most of the allied effort was in Europe. He chose to leave the island on the most dangerous side as well...within easy range of enemy fire. Given the bombardment that the area suffered I'm amazed his boat wasn;t blown out of the water.

Lori
Old 01-10-2006, 13:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
OMG .. 13 days??!!?? We HAVE to batten down ALL hatches ... NOW!
LOL! Hold tight men! Help is on the way!!

Lori
Old 01-10-2006, 13:26   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lori-
Knowing the way politics IS played at the highest levels, and knowing the way some of the allied command structure DID play politics...

Who knows, perhaps Ike would have been happier if McA *had* been blown up en route. Stranger things have happened on this planet.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 13:46   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Lori-
Knowing the way politics IS played at the highest levels, and knowing the way some of the allied command structure DID play politics...

Who knows, perhaps Ike would have been happier if McA *had* been blown up en route. Stranger things have happened on this planet.<G>
Nothing would surprise me! To see the bomb craters and the ruined buildings it is hard to fathom how the soldiers here could NOT have felt abandoned. Yet there is no resentment. At the height of the 1st battle for Corrigidor, when the Japanese were trying to get control, they were getting hit with 16000 bombs per day. The island, although very small took at hit every 3 feet.

Lori
Old 01-10-2006, 16:58   #53
Kai Nui

Lori, Ricks been very well behaved (by my standards) Trust me
Old 01-10-2006, 18:48   #54
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui

OYE and I have a bridge to sell
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 19:24   #55

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Lori,

If you get a chance, there is also the Fort Santiago Park close to the mouth of the Pasig River in Manila. It dates back to the 17th centry and was used by the Japanise and Americains durning WWII. That is where the Rizal artifacts are found. And the Intramuros district has musuems and other places of interest.

BTW The Canadian Embassy is in the RCBC Plaza (tower 2) right next to the Salcedo Village on Asala Ave in Makati City. Phone # 857-9000. Just in case you need to know................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Seems to me that very on in this thread you confessed to being a bad influence, so well behaved by your standards probably means he's in a fair bit of trouble!

Lori
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
If you get a chance, there is also the Fort Santiago Park close to the mouth of the Pasig River in Manila. It dates back to the 17th centry and was used by the Japanise and Americains durning WWII. That is where the Rizal artifacts are found. And the Intramuros district has musuems and other places of interest.

BTW The Canadian Embassy is in the RCBC Plaza (tower 2) right next to the Salcedo Village on Asala Ave in Makati City. Phone # 857-9000. Just in case you need to know................................_/)
Thanks for the info on the Embasy...I hope i don;t need it, but it is good information to have....

Ine of the reps in my class mentioned that park to me today and has offered to take me there one day after work. I usually don;t like to go out after work, but I might have to make an exception here. I only have 1 weekend left to tour things. It is a 3 day weekend, but there are activities planned each day. Only 12 days left and the time is going to fly by!

Lori
Old 06-10-2006, 20:08   #58

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I see she got the one and only Manila yacht club......................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 22:18   #59

Nice photos! I have many similar. Was stationed at Subic in 90-91, and got the Corrigedor tour (self guided) in the spring of 91. Got many pics of the Mile Long Barracks, no-see-um guns, and many mortars throughout the island. I was priviledged to be able to share the photos with my grandmother's hubby within a year of his death, as he was in the Philippines when they fell, and then was part of the occupation forces after WWII ended.

If I may, the food in the PI is fine. I ate it for 10 months, every day, drank the water, never had a problem. And remember, all those folks suggesting the rum? If you drink rum "neat", that's one thing. If you drink it like most people, with Coke or some other mixer, you will get it with ice. What is ice? Frozen local water. Emphasis on local. Don't be too afraid of the water, unless out in the Barrios, or where there are no commercial establishments. The people out in the Barrios are much different than the ones in the cities - for folks in the US, think of NYC, versus Pittsboro, NC. Smaller towns, everyone knows each other, fish vendors on their way to market offering you their product at 1/2 market price, smiles, etc. Heck, I even got invited to a wedding while looking for a Jeepme or trike to get back to base before the 1st Sgt woke up. <sigh> Good times...!
sbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
I see she got the one and only Manila yacht club......................._/)
Yep, I found it! I have to admit I was expecting something smaller, but then I put it in perspective: Our Marinas and yacht clubs are much smaller at home, but also serve a much smaller population base. The recreational boats are much larger here, but would definitely serve a more elitist group.

The view of Manila is beautiful from the harbour. The amount of pollution and deadheads in the water was amazing to me, but we were out only 2 or 3 days after the big typhoon blew through and I'm sure that was a major contributing fator.

Lori