Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30   #61

Re: Microplastics update, the news is not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Except for the carbon used in chopping down the tree, planting and harvesting the soy, processing these into the aforementioned products, transport involved in every step of the process, and so on. Nothing is "carbon neutral."

Some things are more "carbon neutral" than others; eg they add relatively less sequestered carbon into the atmosphere than other options.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Microplastics update, the news is not good

https://youtu.be/r8SyoRwV_To

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:32   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
great video . The world needs to know the truth.
Old 12-12-2019, 14:02   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Rebel News has a habit of putting out fake news. I do not trust anything they put out. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-rebel/

Quote:
Traveling with her were around 30 journalists from several countries sent to cover the young campaigner’s journey. Thunberg opted for the train after turning down several alternative offers to make the trip by electric car, and even by donkey.
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/12/06...44_806494.html

Back to the topic at hand. I have been through the Pacific gyre 4 times. While I have never seen an island of plastic, I am aware that there is a more than I wanted to see. The first time through a small of fishing net ensnared our prop shaft while we were under power in the Pacific high. It destroyed our transmission. Being adrift was not one of my favourite memories, although it was a life changing event for me. (This is not the thread in which I should go into details.
Old 12-12-2019, 14:06   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Rebel News has a habit of putting out fake news. I do not trust anything they put out. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-rebel/

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/12/06...44_806494.html
while that may be they are a conservative leaning paper . Others are equally left leaning .
There were items that belong to her specifically in the tesla vehicle in question .
Not to mention she was seen using the same brand disposable water bottles in other stills and videos.
In this case I'm inclined to believe the video .
Old 12-12-2019, 14:25   #66
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Could we stick closer to just the microplastics issue in this thread please?
Old 12-12-2019, 14:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
while that may be they are a conservative leaning paper. Others are equally left leaning .
Uh, no. Rebel Media is a conservative-leaning paper like the Hells Angels are weekend motorcycle enthusiasts. I smell shenanigans. I also note that more respectable Greta-haterz like WSJ or Faux haven't yet picked up the story.

I love how much deniers are terrified of Greta.

Anyway, before joining the pile-on, has anyone calculated the actual eco-goodness of scarfing beans in an EV vs stopping for fast-food or a sit-down restaurant meal?

(oops sorry John)
Old 12-12-2019, 14:32   #68
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.core77.com/posts/91822/M...Floating-Parks

https://www.ecowatch.com/bubble-barr...641304998.html
Old 12-12-2019, 14:41   #69

A recent news update on tv showed a partial teaspoon of tiny plastic particles taken from edible bivalves by biologists. They are now infested with it. It doesn't apparently kill them but you eat it with the oyster or clam. I suppose it just passes through you. (ever heard of plastic rice?) But I say enough is enough. A majority of plastic use is just promotion of the petroleum industry anyway. Glass bottle production used to employ people with little loss in the recycle stream.

Old 12-12-2019, 14:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Uh, no. Rebel Media is a conservative-leaning paper like the Hells Angels are weekend motorcycle enthusiasts. I smell shenanigans. I also note that more respectable Greta-haterz like WSJ or Faux haven't yet picked up the story.

I love how much deniers are terrified of Greta.

Anyway, before joining the pile-on, has anyone calculated the actual eco-goodness of scarfing beans in an EV vs stopping for fast-food or a sit-down restaurant meal?

(oops sorry John)
Methane producing canned beans. There were several fast food wrappers there as well.

Then there is her usage of disposable plastic while underway in the middle of the atlantic.
Hope it was stired for proper disposal .
Otherwise it will eventually be microplastics floating around iut there .

Earth + plastic
Old 13-12-2019, 07:43   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

Yes, The Ocean Cleanup has developed a unique system for cleaning up plastic. Awesome aerial footage:

Our head of research is from Olympia, WA where virtually everything is recycled. All plant materials are converted to peat moss and resold. The dump has been located at the same property for many decades proving how smart recycling can work.

In the 1970s, all meat trays were made from a heavy plastic returned to the grocery store so the trays could be washed and reused. All drinks were in glass. Same thing. Returned to the grocery store. This was how it was done in Washington State. Return to this original way of conducting business and we could dramatically reduce the plastic issue. We should use all glass, because it’s healthier than plastic. Unfortunately, chemicals from plastic containers seep into our food.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:01   #72

I think one of the issues with modern packaging is with factory automation. It is a lot simpler to wrap something in plastic then cardboard or paper. It is not just finding a suitable replacement at consumer level it needs to work at manufacturer level too.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:14   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi2010 View Post

In the 1970s, all meat trays were made from a heavy plastic returned to the grocery store so the trays could be washed and reused. All drinks were in glass. Same thing. Returned to the grocery store. This was how it was done in Washington State. Return to this original way of conducting business and we could dramatically reduce the plastic issue. We should use all glass, because it’s healthier than plastic. Unfortunately, chemicals from plastic containers seep into our food.
I grew up here in Tacoma and I don't recall those heavy plastic trays you speak of the meat was on the same foam trays it still is on when purchased from the Safeway store down the block. Soda was in sometimes glass sometimes plastic bottles but the most common is still aluminum cans.
Milk was in plastic lined cardboard half gallon containers just like now , or in 1 gallon plastic containers just like now.

Don't know who told you that everything here is recycled it isn't. The majority of the recyclable plastic ( from the recycle bins . Is sent to the same landfill as the actual garbage. )

the best way so far to deal with the refuse is in generating power via incinerator based power plants.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:46   #74

In the 70's here in the UK milk came in returnable glass bottles delivered on electric vehicles, meat wrapped up in paper from the butcher's, pop bottles returned and washed, used second hand cardboard boxes for your groceries that you would keep using until knackered, fish would be delivered on a bike as would your fresh fruit and veg, take aways would be wrapped in yesterday's newspapers, cheese and dairy products wrapped in linen. Sounds like the future is in the past
Old 13-12-2019, 08:51   #75

Boat: O'Day 40

One source of micro plastics is clothing. We've switched to merino wool for almost all of our clothing. Much lower footprint and completely reusable.