Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 09:20   #136
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
European provenence
Bearing in mind this thread has wandered all over all ready...........

I recall similar comments in the past referring to stuff (one about an Engine being maintained by a European trained mechanic?? and I think also about a boat being European built / designed??).

I didn't like to ask at the time, but, from a North American perspective does it suggest something is better, worse or does it just vary according to product?

I am guessing in this case the meat grinder IS better than Sean's Chinese version..............and I guess so is Sean - But the other examples were open to interpretation.

Just curious, rather than I care one way or another, and just given that we are seperated by a common language.........and quite often a sense of humour.

Missing y'all already
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 10:02   #137
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Wow! what we have to go through to get someone a meat grinder. ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 10:10   #138

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
David,

There is no neat answer. In my field, architecture, the cost of building a Class A office building or an international quality residential project is pretty similar world wide. Yes, the labour is less expensive in China, but it takes far more time to get the quality. Concrete will be formed up and poured and then a host of workers will start tearing down the duff bits only to recast the concrete again. And on it goes.

My Dad worked in the North American auto industry for his entire career. When his company established plants in Mexico under the NAFTA agreement, he told me that only 15% of the cost of an automobile was labour. And quality control issues were such that the benefits of cheap labour were negated by the percentage of cars reworked because of quality issues.

At the time I found what my Dad said to be incredible. But, working on international quality projects in China has really opened my eyes.

That being said, I love the gung-ho attitude of the Chinese. They've no time for feeling sorry for themselves and throw themselves into their work. And they have a much more healthy attitude regarding envy - yeah, that guys got a Rolls Royce, but if I shift my arse I might have one too. And if not me, it'll be my kid. And if not him, it'll be his kid.

Which is to say, quality costs money. It isn't where something was actually made, it's the industrial design and QC which create value.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 10:26   #139

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Wow! what we have to go through to get someone a meat grinder. ;-) :-)
And it's a European meat grinder. Seriously, this badboy could probably grind sheet metal.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 10:47   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I saw a quick interview the other night. It was a Kiwi boat builder that has set up business in Asia somewhere. He said his main problem was how do you teach someone how to build a boat when they don't even know what a boat is, let alone even seen one.

Old 23-01-2007, 11:10   #141
Kai Nui

Hey, if it looks like a boat, and floats, it is good enough for many manufacturers. Now, would I take that boat off shore? Of course, if your main reason to own the boat is to impress your friends, it is all about the wet bar, and the sleeps 10 accomodations. I guess if I were planning on doing all my sailing dockside with martinis in the cockpit, a chopper gun special would be fine.
Old 23-01-2007, 13:34   #142
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"On a more serious note, I think blokes (more than women) tend to underestimate the willingness of many woman to "sell themselves using sex" "

About two years ago there were some Japanese domestic surveys being quoted in some of the US maggazines and papers discussing the differences in our societies. One of them was wrt Japanese high school girls flashing all the latest high-tech cellular toys and high priced electronics and fashion logos. Supposedly nearly 1/4 of them had accepted cash or gifts for sex and they considered this to be an appropriate way to get the loot.

The times, they are a changing, yes indeed. Onceuponatime whorehouses were considered a GOOD THING in the US as well, i.e. in the 1800's in the western territories, many wives thought it was better if their men left them alone and didn't endanger them with childbirth, and just used the "social club" for their needs instead.

The fact that a bunch of screwed-up ultraconservative Christian sects exiled from Europe (and from each other once here) enforced their moral codes on most of the country for a while, doesn't mean those codes are normal in the larger picture.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 13:56   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
Hey Sean, what are the things we cannot afford that our parents and grandparents could?
Our parents and definitely grandparents did not have the choices and range of products available to them that we have. Most of the things we buy today were not even invented then. No/ mobile, computer, fax, flatscreen, ipod, cds, dvds, ........ Times were harder for them. It is up to us how hard we make it for ourselves. If we sit and moan about things the people who don't will move ahead. They dont care.

You have choices. The guys who get the cheap products made in China to sell to you have choices. Good on them for taking the risk and initiative.
How did they do it? Those hardy pioneers? Reminds me of my 5 yo grandson as he was holding onto the TV remote, I told him that TV didn't use to have remotes. His face got wide in amassement as he asked, "how did you turn it on?". I said that you got up and walked over to the TV and pressed the ON button. He was dumb founded. I then told him that when I was his age there was no TV at all. Again he gasps in amassement and asks, "what did you do?". I said we read and played outside and and listended to the radio. 90% of the stuff bought and sold in America today is for ease and ego. What do you really need to live? I believe Emerson had it right. All our stuff is nice, but hardly a necessary componet of a healthy satisfying life. OR rather it shouldn't be so. BUT since 80% of our economy is derived from comsumer buying we are constantly being bombarded with ads to make us buy. Most target our desire to keep up with the Jones. How often do you hear,"buy the biggest badest whatever that you can afford" as opposed to "buy the cheapest smallest whatever that will get the job done". We don't want freedom, we want stuff. If we really wanted freedom we'd buy the smallest boat that would work, put the left over money in gold ballest and sail away. Instead we keep at it so we can buy a bigger boat. They got us by our egos. Want to fix America over night? Blow up every TV from coast to coast. It's the medium that warps almost every faucet of life from politics to marriage. I was heartened to see that someone, I can't remember who it was, finally figured out that ALL political ads should be banned from TV. Reduce the cost of running and force folks to READ, AND comprehend for themselves. As to opposed to simply barfing back up what some jackass on FOX news spouts.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 16:39   #144
cruiser

Ahhh... RANDY! You probably discovered the source of my insanity.

We have not watched television in over 2 years. I pop in a DVD once in a while (pretty specific to my generation: Simpsons, Futurama, maybe Family Guy, Star Trek), but that's about the extent of it. Haven't seen a commercial in 2 years, have no idea what the latest show is, or what the heck all these movies are that are out.

Good post. I like it.

BTW: Meat grinder status is still on hold. We ground a 7lb order of venison with it and it ground well. Good texture. However, after we ate a meal I cooked with it, we had massive stomach cramps and a pukey feeling. Of course, this was probaby due to an oregano bomb that went off in my red sauce.

We're going to try the meat again tomorrow or the next day. If it produces another stomach issue, I'll be pretty upset, since it means that there is something seriously wrong with the grinder from a health standpoint - and I will have lost $70 worth of food to boot. Hoping for the best.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 18:31   #145

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Those (used car oil lubricated) grinders are what McDonalds use to make their all beef patties. It cheap for McDonalds and the motor industry has a buyer for the used oil.

Was the gutz ache similar to a Big Mac ache??
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 22:28   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Haven't seen a commercial in 2 years, have no idea what the latest show is, or what the heck all these movies are that are out.
I do have a few favourite programes, but as for news, I figured that if the world blew up, someone will tell me.

Old 24-01-2007, 01:48   #147

Boat: Lotus 10.6
You are kidding me Wheels. Do you really watch the idiot box? Is there actually something on it worth watching? How do you get the time to watch tv and hang around posting on this site????
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 04:08   #148
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
Those (used car oil lubricated) grinders are what McDonalds use to make their all beef patties. It cheap for McDonalds and the motor industry has a buyer for the used oil.

Was the gutz ache similar to a Big Mac ache??
Wish I knew! I haven't had food from McDonald's in probably 10+ years. Yuck. ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 04:43   #149
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Wish I knew! I haven't had food from McDonald's in probably 10+ years. Yuck. ha ha
My guilt secret!, I do like the odd McD blow out..........in fact IMO it is grrrrrrreat hangover food, a weeks worth of Sugar and Salt and yer recomended weekly intake of chemicals all in one conveniant sized "hit".

It's the Crack of food
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 09:55   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How do you get the time to watch tv and hang around posting on this site????
I did say just a few programmes. Can't wait for Lost to start again next week. I mostly like comedies like 2 1/2 men, Blackadder, Blackbooks and then any doco's like that Wild weather programe on at the mo. That's about it. I catch the news headlines at 6.30AM(breakfast and 6PM Evening meal.