Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2007, 18:31   #166
cruiser

No... didn't restore my faith, as I could have made the grinder myself in the amount of time it took me to earn the $60 it cost plus the time it took to correct all the problems it had. Still would prefer a stateless system.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 18:47   #167

Could have made the grinder yourself? From what? Remember in your "utopia" you wouldn't be able to just go and buy steel either - you would need to dig up the iron ore, put it through your own blast furnace, which you had to build yourself from foundry bricks you made yourself, fired by the trees you had to cut down by yourself, using the axe you made yourself.........hang on, you couldn't make the axe till you had the steel could you?

That might have taken longer than it took to earn the $60 though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 22:49   #168

Boat: Lotus 10.6
don't knock it unless you are prepared to give it up.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 03:34   #169
cruiser

Seafox:
Prepared??? Are you kidding?? The only think keeping me in society is the fact that I feel obligated to pay off my boat. Otherwise, you can keep your capitalistic society.

44Cat:
You wouldn't do well in a survival situation. I'd use a rock and another rock in my ideal society. That would take me all of 5-10 minutes to find one shaped like the mortar with ridges for good meat grinding, and another shaped like the pestle. You have to use your mind when outside of society. Not so much inside of it.

Only a fool (not saying you are one) who lives in an organized society thinks they need to buy steel to grind meat. Nature has provided everything you need to survive.
Old 28-01-2007, 13:34   #170

Boat: Lotus 10.6
....and you want to eat, clothe yourself, run the boat etc etc etc.....
It all works pretty good for that too.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 16:39   #171
cruiser

Well, we can agree to disagree. I'd be happier doing it all from scratch. To each their own. You can punch the clock and buy things. I'll make them.
Old 28-01-2007, 16:41   #172
Armchair Bucketeer

Over 2000 views and 170 replies on this thread - not bad for a Coffee Grinder
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 17:12   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
44Cat:
You wouldn't do well in a survival situation. I'd use a rock and another rock in my ideal society. That would take me all of 5-10 minutes to find one shaped like the mortar with ridges for good meat grinding, and another shaped like the pestle. You have to use your mind when outside of society. Not so much inside of it.

Only a fool (not saying you are one) who lives in an organized society thinks they need to buy steel to grind meat. Nature has provided everything you need to survive.
Hey, your'e the one who bought the meat grinder!! Why didn't you just go find a couple of rocks?

That reminds me of the line in The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy : "Keep banging those rocks together guys!"
Old 28-01-2007, 17:16   #174

Quote:
Well, we can agree to disagree. I'd be happier doing it all from scratch. To each their own. You can punch the clock and buy things. I'll make them.
Then why don't you? You talk the talk, but it's you who BOUGHT a boat - I am building one. You BOUGHT the meat grinder when rocks would do the job. Why not sell, in fact why not GIVE your boat away, and wander off onto the forest making stone axes, and cut down lumber and BUILD your own boat from scratch?
Old 28-01-2007, 19:12   #175

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Over 2000 views and 170 replies on this thread - not bad for a Coffee Grinder
Meat Grinder David, Meat Grinder

get it right

Dave
Old 28-01-2007, 19:46   #176

Quote:
I should point out that in post #166 you said "I could have made the grinder myself" That is "THE" grinder - not a couple of rocks. If you are going to make THE grinder, which is made of steel, then yes, you need to either buy steel or manufacture it yourself.

Mind you I have no idea why you would buy a meat grinder when there are rocks lying around all over the place - only a fool (not saying you are one) who lives in an organised society thinks they need to buy a meat grinder to grind meat. Nature has provided .........well you know how it goes....

I actually meet a fair number of people who whine about the price and quality of things, especially boats, and almost all of them say they could build it themselves faster and better and cheaper - but almost none of them has the gonads to try it. Talk is cheap, building a (cruising capable) boat is a commitment of at least 3000 hours, and more likely two, three or four times that. (Using stone-age tools who knows how long it would take?) It's much easier to just buy one, then whine about having to pay for it, isn't it?
Old 29-01-2007, 02:07   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I “grew” my own meat grinders. Maggie insists on calling them teeth.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 02:39   #178
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Meat Grinder David, Meat Grinder

get it right

Dave
Oooooops
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 04:45   #179
cruiser

44 Cruising Cat:

Them's online fightin' words!

I would love to enter a fight online here with you, but being a mod I must show restraint. So you're building a 44' cat right now? How's she coming along? Any pictures for us?

Anyway, I'll tell you why I'm not building a boat, even though I would prefer to wander off into the woods and do so. It's the capitalistic concept of ownership of land and the prices of that land. Buying the land to build the boat here costs about the same as buying a production boat. So, it's an impossibility in this society.

We all have to start somewhere. I have to start by buying a boat, since I have no land or a yard to build one in. I have no other option given that I was born into this society. I'm working dilligently to get out of it though.

Again, you aren't thinking your statements through to reality. If you can show me how, within your great system of capitalism, I can have access to the land to go and build my own boat, I will get rid of this boat today and go do it.

Eagerly awaiting your response...
Old 29-01-2007, 05:17   #180

Building a boat by yourself is a rather large undertaking... even starting with a hull you buy... assuming you can... from a manufacturer and fitting it out yourself. Knowing how long boat projects take.... you have to really be into the process of building and have lots of time and probably not get to sailing for years... it would seem.

As much as the idea of making a custom boat to one's own specs... and actually doing the work yourself can be a rewarding process and sure would make you knowledgable about your boat... I would rather have one built to my specs.. under my supervision and watchful eye... than do it myself.

Frankly... I'd rather be sailing... and doing the occassional boat projects on a boat I can sail and or live on than life on land and build a boat.

I've met the odd fellow who spent decades building a boat in his yard... amazing dedication... but as I said... I'd rather be sailing than sawing.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote