Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2008, 22:02   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My Boat Reads My Bank Statements

Or how to spend a few boat bucks.

Shortly after we got Relax Lah! we began to break running rigging. I ended up replaceing almost all the cars and blocks.

One failure we didn't replace was the mainsheet traveller. It failed a pin and our handy boat guy fixed it as I was predisposed at the time. It's a manual traveller and not at all slick. It is now worn out as to be ready to fail.

So I got the Harken catalog out and about $550 boat bucks later I have all the bits for a new slick traveller with a roller bearing car and neato clam cleats.

So my partner heads off to Malaysia this weekend. He left late and was to make a night crossing. The end of the trip is about an hour up a river. Good thing he went in company.

About 9PM in the dark moonless night he decides to motor up the river - good strategy. However 5 minutes later the impeller eats itself and he is now motorless. Our friends on the Hunter towed him for about 1 1/2 hours.

Spare impeller installed by boat partner the next day after heat exchanger removal and manual cleaning. Bits of barnacle found throughout. Hmmmm. Last haulout we had the bottom painted. The boat boys told us about build up of crusties in the saildrive. Sure enough they had used hard implements to break up the barnacles. Probably the source of the impeller failure as the rubber was still quite pliable (no raw filter in this Vovlo install)

However, newly installed impeller cover leaks and water is still not flowing at full strength so engine used only judiciously in return sail in windy conditions. More work this weekend.

The SS spinnaker clew corroded through - how strange is that? Spinnaker at the sail loft for repair.

The main clew is unsewing itself. Next in line for the sail loft.

The genny put another 1 inch tear in itself on the sail back. 3rd in line for the sail loft.

Buying the boat is the cheap part...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 22:38   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Or how to spend a few boat bucks.

Shortly after we got Relax Lah! we began to break running rigging. I ended up replaceing almost all the cars and blocks.

One failure we didn't replace was the mainsheet traveller. It failed a pin and our handy boat guy fixed it as I was predisposed at the time. It's a manual traveller and not at all slick. It is now worn out as to be ready to fail.

So I got the Harken catalog out and about $550 boat bucks later I have all the bits for a new slick traveller with a roller bearing car and neato clam cleats.

So my partner heads off to Malaysia this weekend. He left late and was to make a night crossing. The end of the trip is about an hour up a river. Good thing he went in company.

About 9PM in the dark moonless night he decides to motor up the river - good strategy. However 5 minutes later the impeller eats itself and he is now motorless. Our friends on the Hunter towed him for about 1 1/2 hours.

Spare impeller installed by boat partner the next day after heat exchanger removal and manual cleaning. Bits of barnacle found throughout. Hmmmm. Last haulout we had the bottom painted. The boat boys told us about build up of crusties in the saildrive. Sure enough they had used hard implements to break up the barnacles. Probably the source of the impeller failure as the rubber was still quite pliable (no raw filter in this Vovlo install)

However, newly installed impeller cover leaks and water is still not flowing at full strength so engine used only judiciously in return sail in windy conditions. More work this weekend.

The SS spinnaker clew corroded through - how strange is that? Spinnaker at the sail loft for repair.

The main clew is unsewing itself. Next in line for the sail loft.

The genny put another 1 inch tear in itself on the sail back. 3rd in line for the sail loft.

Buying the boat is the cheap part...
Well, you obviously have a bank statement that's too long for one boat to read, since you're taking the half interest in the J-boat. Just think of all the boat-bucks you can waste, sorry, invest in a racing sled!

TaoJones
Old 30-11-2008, 23:13   #3

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
And than there are astronomers still looking for black holes, while we boaters found them a long time ago already.
Old 30-11-2008, 23:43   #4

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
When I bought Splendor, the PO indicated that the rear transmission shaft seal was shot and that, although he had bought a replacement, he had not had time to install it. The surveyor agreed with the diagnosis, and adjusted the value of the boat by -$400.

Fast forward to today - my engine is sitting in the cockpit, sans transmission, and I'm facing a bank balance eater of a bill.

There was no way to effect the repair with the engine in situ, we couldn't move the prop shaft back far enough. After lifting the engine out, it turns out the problem wasn't the seal, the whole transmission case was corroded through.

Found a used case, now many more hours to transfer the guts from the old to the new, and put the thing back in ....

I won't even mention the crack at the top of my mast, which means it will be coming off for repair as soon as I can motor to the shipyard ...

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Well, you obviously have a bank statement that's too long for one boat to read, since you're taking the half interest in the J-boat. Just think of all the boat-bucks you can waste, sorry, invest in a racing sled!

TaoJones
Stupid is as stupid does. Or something like that.

At least we got out on the J-boat on Sunday for some practice. Wanted to see the new spin before the nationals which are in 2 weeks.

Rigged up pushed off - no wind - drifted optimistically for 30 minutes.

Motored back, tied off, ordered beer. Wind came up, rushed back to boat.

Clearly a thunderstorm front. Hell yes! We chased into the thunderstorm or sumatra as they are called at this time of year.

Ooops! pretty powerful. Drop the genny. Sail around on the main for 40 minutes getting soaked. Front passes. Pop spinnaker. Fart around a bit. Wind dies. Drop spin. Start engine.

So ends another J-24 practice day in the monsoon transition

If you aren't chasing storms you probably aren't sailing - LOL
Old 01-12-2008, 05:02   #6

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
My wife decided a long time ago that *BOAT* is an acronym for *Bill-Owes-Another-Thousand*
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:39   #7

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
A hole in the Water to throw Money in
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
You guys are depressing

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 19:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
My wife decided a long time ago that *BOAT* is an acronym for *Bill-Owes-Another-Thousand*
Ha, Ha.

And if you name isn't Bill. Break Out Another Thousand.

So this week I drug the Genny over the steaming light and turned the 2 inch tear into a 4 foot one. The sail guy got back from the Kings Cup in Thailand and fixed it - Only $50!

So I placed the order for the new one $1,700. ;-(

Installed the new traveller - works great.

Otto died (again) - ST1000 - He's getting wet inside the glass. I am going to open him up and take a look but I am not holding out much hope. B.O.A.T.

At some point I gotta get the saildrive seals and engine mounts replaced - It's been on the list for a while.

Never a dull moment.
Old 10-12-2008, 19:26   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
My Boat Reads My Bank Statements

Good then it knows Im broke and it wont cost me anything.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote