Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 22:12   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
need a car in Florida

Me and my family are going cruising in October and we'll be outfitting the boat in Bradenton for a few months . We are looking for an old ,drivable beat up to get around when there . We are on the very limited budget ,but despite that we couldn't sell the house, we are determent to go sailing at any cost . So if any of you wants to sell ,or know of somebody who has one clunker for sale ,please let me know.
Regards, Henryk
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Henry--

There is no shortage of old clunkers in Bradenton and no shortage of places that sell them within 10 minutes walk south on 10th Street from the Twin Dolphins marina. Goodwill also takes donations of old cars that they fix up--somewhat--and you might be able to make a deal to buy one cheap and then redonate it to Goodwill once you've done with it.

Where will you be fitting out the yacht?

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:08   #3

The thing is that I'll need something reliable and wouldn't like to be stuck with an old boat and broken car. At the moment the boat is at Snead's ,and once there I'll be staying in that marina across the river from twin dolphins. Can't wait, 50 more sleeps and counting.
Regards to all ,Henryk
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Henry--

Snead Island Boat Works is a good yard. We've known the Alderman's for a long time and they will do a good job for you but you do need to stay on top of things. The yard forman--Steve--is very accomodating but be careful what you mention to him in passing unless it's something you REALLY want done or you're likely to come back to find work underway that you hadn't planned on but merely mentioned. Never-the-less, Gary Alderman and his dad-Jim-are both sailors (that also own a very old, classic, powerboat) and they know their business.

The Regatta Point Marina isn't bad and we know the family that owns and operates the Riverside Cafe, at the head of the gangway, which has some of the best--and most reasonably priced--food in town. They're originally from Greece and have great Greek dishes from time-to-time, which we really enjoy although Sunday morning breakfasts are our favorite. The only things I don't like about the marina are the lack of a good seawall and the fact that it's a good hike from Tampa Bay.

Unfortunately, with the local economy pretty sideways, there are a lot of cars for sale--particularly in that area--and you shouldn't have much difficulty finding a bargain as everywhere you turn there seem to be cars with for-sale signs on them.

You can send us a PM and we'll give you contact information for when you arrive.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 20:51   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Wrent a Wreck
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 20:15   #6

I'd sell you my car but I'm a little further North (Maryland).
Kaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 21:34   #7

Thanks everyone . I looks like I'll shopping through Craig's list ,lots of cars there for a thousand and under .
50 more sleeps to departure ,just can't wait.

Tags
florida