Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 05:15   #1

New to Sailing - Need Anchoring Advice

Newbie here,

I am looking to buy a sailboat (33') that we can stay on for the weekends but large enough to take some week long cruises. I have had motor boats my whole life but want to slow down a bit. I live just south of Raleigh, NC and my home port is Wrightsville Beach, NC. I am wondering if this is too much boat for my first sail or not???

Alos we have a lot of sailboats anchored in the harbour and I was wondering if they normally charge to anchor there or not. The boat that I am looking at has a dinky so I was going to get on the hook and just pull around to get fuel, water, etc. when we use the boat.

any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Rickwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 05:25   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A sailboat handles much differently from a power boat but if you take your time and get the feel of it, a 33 should not be too much for a first boat.

As for leaving a boat at anchor at Wrightsville Beach- I would not leave it unattended for more than a few hours. They do not charge for anchoring but the currents in the anchorage are very strong and when it opposes the wind the boats wander all over the place and at all different angles. Many boats at anchor here are hit by other boats.

It would be a lot better if you kept it in a marina.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:30   #3

Sounds like you are familiar with Wrightsville Beach area. How much do they charge per foot or a monthly charge to keep in marina??? It really doesn't matter if I keep the boat in Wrightsville or Carolina Beach. That would definetly be my first choice but everyone knows how the economy is right now. I have been calculating my expenses to own a boat and I am sure I have not figured enough.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 14-11-2009, 06:44   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Google the marinas in the area and you will find their websites with the current prices listed for dockage. They are not cheap and spaces are sometimes difficult to find.
- - Major problem with sailboats in the Wrightsville area - is where are you going to take it when you head out . . .? In the ICW a sailboat is a major limitation due to the mast and bridges and the keel under the water. You cannot "sail" in the ICW only motor so you would have to go offshore into the Atlantic to "sail."
- - If you want what you are asking for I would suggest staying with a powerboat with a cabin and a clearance to avoid as many bridge restrictions as possible.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 07:29   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickwig View Post
Sounds like you are familiar with Wrightsville Beach area. How much do they charge per foot or a monthly charge to keep in marina??? It really doesn't matter if I keep the boat in Wrightsville or Carolina Beach. That would definetly be my first choice but everyone knows how the economy is right now. I have been calculating my expenses to own a boat and I am sure I have not figured enough.

Thanks,
Rick
I would call the marinas. The "new" one in Carolina Beach (by the condos)might be your best bet. Wrightsville is a bit more upscale and a lot busier. I don't know the rates as we don't go into marinas in our travels.
Old 16-11-2009, 05:29   #6

Thanks for the advice.

BTW: I was at the beach over the weekend and saw tons of sailbaots in the ICW heading south. Why aren't they on the outside?? It was a beautiful day with N winds around 10-15 knots. Just wondering if more people stay in the ICW than on the outside.

again I am new to all of this.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 16-11-2009, 06:58   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
>>>>>>I was at the beach over the weekend and saw tons of sailbaots in the ICW heading south. Why aren't they on the outside?? It was a beautiful day with N winds around 10-15 knots. Just wondering if more people stay in the ICW than on the outside.<<<<

It depends upon where you were "on the beach" - What State?
- - There are several reasons for staying "in the ditch" versus going "outside."
- - If you are up north of Beaufort/Morehead City then the ditch is much safer and convenient than trying to sail out into the Atlantic Ocean all the way to Morehead City or points south.
- - Further south going "outside" is primarily used when you "have to get there" in limited amount of time. Also some sailors have not been "outside" and are not experienced in ocean sailing.
- - The the main reason for staying inside is that Cruisers are cruising to "see things" not bypass things. The whole ICW is a fascinating experience. There are a hundred wonderful little towns and villages and places to explore along the way. New friends to meet at each stop and time to share and learn about the life of cruising.
- - The ICW is "run" during the daylight hours and as you get further south the tides become a further limiting factor. Amazingly, the great stopping points seem to be spaced just right for a comfortable day run.
- - As you get down past Charleston, then the twists and turns and tidal range makes "going outside" much more inviting. And the places to "duck back inside" increases.
- - But bottomline, the whole idea of cruising is to stop and smell the roses, not set speed records getting from Norfolk to Miami - although I have done that, especially when we have an early winter up north.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring