Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2012, 23:22   #31

Re: Newtown shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Wow! America must be a very scared nation, what is the perceived threat?
An ever increasing police state, 1984. A government hell bent on curtailing freedoms at every opportunity. No liberal politician stepped forward after the Aurora Co movie theatre shooting to call for gun control because of the impending election. Now after the election the rhetoric is off the charts.

Conservative 2nd amendment advocates get berated for bringing politics into the discussion while liberal 2nd amendment haters bring politics into the discussion first chance they get. Thinly veiled by saying things like "we have to have regulations to stop tragedies like this from ever occurring again. They knowing damn well that gun control that only effects law abiding citizens does nothing to deter violent crime.
Old 14-12-2012, 23:30   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440

Yes i agree with your words it's a spiral!

Suffer the innocents.

Cheers
Old 14-12-2012, 23:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

I think we should regardless of something like this. We are doing our children no favor abandoning them with strangers.

I have spent 25 years teaching high school. Many of those 'strangers' today risked their own lives to make sure children got out safely. Most teachers go into this profession because they want to make a difference. I did-despite the fact that my BS in science & 2 master's degrees won't bring me half the dollars earned in the private sector-I worked there for 10 years and know the pay scale. But recently, more than ever people are blaming teachers because we can't change all the problems society throws at us in the short time given with the paltry resources we have. I even have to supply paper and lab supplies as well. Here is what I make.

WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

A poem by: Taylor Mali

The dinner guests were sitting around the table
discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued:
"What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests that it's true
what they say about teachers: "Those who can...do.
Those who can't ... teach."

To corroborate, he said to another guest: "You're a teacher, Susan," he said. "Be honest. What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation of honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make?"

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional Medal of Honor and an A- feel like a slap in the face if the student did not do his or her very best."

"You want to know what I make?"

"I make kids wonder."

"I make them question."

"I make them criticize."

"I make them apologize and mean it."

"I make them write."

"I make them read, read, read."

"I make them show all their work in math and hide it all on their final drafts in English."

"I make them understand that if you have the brains, then follow your heart...and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you pay them noattention!"

"You want to know what I make?"

"I make a difference."

"And you? What do you make?"

This was a tragedy carried out by a very sick young man. But please don't blame those working hard to educate our nation's young.
Old 15-12-2012, 00:43   #34

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Blame the sinner, not the sin.
Do fatties blame the cutlery for making them fat?

Did you know that 8 people were shot to death in chicago on thursday? Thats close to a daily shooting toll in chicago but it goes unmentioned. Not all the dead are gang members either, innocent bystanders get hit too.

Whilst the school shooting is so sad and deplorable, it only seems shocking to us because it happened in one place.

One 747 crash always grabs the headlines in preference to 50 auto crashes.

As for guncontrol, .....too late for the US, the guns are out there. Admiral Yamamoto knew that there was a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Switzerland has armed all its citizens and have minimal gun crime.
Israeli teachers all open carry in school.

Societies are broken and there are idiots out there with a grudge. Maybe its time to fight fire with fire and get pro active but to say banning guns is the answer is ridiculous. People will use sticks and stones if there is nothing else.
Criminals are the only people who dont respect laws, so they wont respect gun laws either
Old 15-12-2012, 00:52   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440

Australia went down the line of gun control to no avail as there are almost weekly drive by shootings now in Sydney and to some extent Melbourne, not so much Brisbane, it seems here that it's related heavily to drugs and i guess organised crime.

Quite often the perpetrators are of ethnic origin.

Agree only the good guy's comply.
Old 15-12-2012, 00:54   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The problem with that arguement is that using "sticks and stones" takes a little bit of spine and there is a chance that it could all go wrong and the attacker becomes the attacked. Any cowardly weakling halfwit with a gun can be a tough guy.

Coops.
Old 15-12-2012, 02:10   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This is a terrible tragedy.

Unfortunately the thread has degenerated into an angry debate about gun control. The thread is closed and a number of posts have been deleted.
Closed Thread