Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2010, 06:44   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Great thread Hummingway.

Ocean Girl ~the boat and the girl~
Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents would take you to a park? You would hop out of the car and, while waiting for your parents to get out too, you would look longingly at that beautiful playground and all the kids having fun.You shuffle from foot to foot and wait impatiently, frowning at your slow parents asking them over and over "can I go now? can I go play?". Then they finally say "go, go play". Running towards your park, wind in your hair, free spirited, your mind totally enrapture of the fun about to be had.... when I draw near the ocean I am very much a child running to her favorite playground. I love the ocean, it is all about the ocean for me. I love boats, sailing, motoring, trawlering, but the bottom line is the ocean and her waves..captivates me beyond what most people think is normal. The closer I get to the ocean the happier I am. Last night as I got out of work that same anticipation built the closer I got to my boat, it happens every time I leave the water. When I am on a vessel actually going to sea I am a ball of joy. Anyways, Ocean woman would be a more apt description considering I am 40 and my boat is 28, but so would ocean child that is how I feel when I get to go to my playground.

Sorry for the long winded response, my nickname is pretty self explanatory, but heck, what sailor passes up a chance to wax on about the sea.
Erika
Old 20-05-2010, 07:04   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Nice one Ocean.... stick with 'Girl'... its ageless...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:44   #33
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
'Southern Star' is the english version of the name of my current boat, 'Estrella del Sur' and also of the small resort property I am developing on Isla Margarita. Sadly, neither the boat nor her captain are in any way stars (nor for that matter are either of us 'southern', at the moment). The former can't be rectified and latter will have to wait just a bit longer.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:40   #34

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
A good idea for a thread. I hangout in only a few places in cyberspace, and I think of these places as speakeasys. That is, places out of the way, not known by many, where folks let their hair down creating good discussions and the occasional fisticuffs. Put your money away, I'll get this round.
Old 20-05-2010, 10:45   #35

SouthernHiker

New to the club, no boat yet, so for now must stick my my land-bound nickname.

I'm from Georgia (Southern) and love to hike, camp, and generally play outdoors all around my neck of the woods, therefore the hiker part. Hope to soon be Southern Sailor though .

Also (in a small bit of self promotion) it's the name of my hiking blog
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 12:59   #36

Boat: SJ23 1988
I've posted this as an answer to a question elsewhere, but I thought I should transfer it here. Just to consolidate the info into this thread.

Ok, heres the "Scuttle but" on my moniker.

FxdGrMind (fixed gear mind). I used it for the first time on a Cycling web site as I thought it appropriate as I ride a fixed gear bike and just love it!

But over the years it's become more. Guess I'm more of a singular thinker, one train of thought at a time, one task, one dream. So as I began thinking of my future the more and more it became my thought process.

For me it represents the focus, determination and plan I've created for myself.

My plan is now nearly 2.5 yrs in the works and with 1.5 left, solidly in the works. My last day of work will be Jan 2012. Some home projects will take place that year, while I continue to search for the elusive "Bigger boat". Cast off is scheduled for 2013, pending accuisition of "Bigger boat". Then the first trip of a lifetime. It's a test for me. Decisions will follow that.

Hope that helps thouse of you frustrated by the moniker.
Cheers
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 14:38   #37

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
No naval history nuts?

Well, I'm one. Witness the threat on book storage. Many of my books are references for one part of history or another. First forums I was ever a part of was about naval history. I picked the name of a particulary pretty Austrian Hungarian battleship. KuK Viribus Unitis. I had figured that no one can be offeded by a name of a ship that belonged to a nation that has not existed for almost 100 years.

Well, I later found out that's Latin for "With United Force". That sounded really good to me. With the united force of my wife and myself, nothing could stop us! Or so I thought. I'm still working on the "with united force" part. It's all part of the plan! (At least that's what I tell myself.)
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 01:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
No naval history nuts?
Does reading Patrick O'Brian count? His stuff is supposed to be historically accurate.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 06:03   #39

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Smile Great Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
great thread ; -)

In the early 90's I was a gamer pretty big time and was alpha and beta testing for a couple of really cool RPGs. At around that time I fell in love with the soundtrack of the film Sarafina and that was it. I've been Sara ever since: online and often off line as well...
Sara by any chance were you a beta test on the Imagination Network? Was one of the developers there.

As for my nickname, it is the unclassified name of a project I worked on . I have other online names but they all were taken. I left my boat name for my wife since it's much more fitting for her but she chose artlady instead

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 06:53   #40

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
took mine form the toots & the maytals song, its always been a favorite, my other forum name is spliffskiff, named after my rhodes 19 power skiff conversion
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 07:11   #41

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Mine was arbitrarily assigned by a school board server long ago.... last name, first letters of first name.... and since I hate trying to remember twenty different login names, I stuck with the same name on forums. Of course, that means that people started to know me as "marshmat" online, so I may as well stick with it.... even though it's among the least creative names on here.
Old 21-05-2010, 07:38   #42
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
......... so I may as well stick with it.... even though it's among the least creative names on here.
Well, I think I can top you in the "least creative name" department. Mine was chosen as I could not think of a suitable user name or boat name. At least I finally came up with a boat name. Oh and the spelling, well I always try to spell correctly and this was a chance not to.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 08:06   #43

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Mine because I am an exotic dancer, personal trainer and giggilo....

But for realz I am a Professional Land Surveyor, NOT a Marine Surveyor so please everyone stop sending me requests to survey your hoopties (boats) !

My boat's name, when I buy one, will be "Coco Putot" which means "little coconut" in a filipino dialect.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 10:09   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Wotname- I always thought your nick had to do with Wombats, being from Oz and all...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 17:01   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Then surely it would have been Womname or Batname (or even Batman).....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
nicknames