Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 03:48   #91
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Ocean acidifcation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Oh! I see ... the whole quest for the reduction of CO2 has nothing to do with cooling the planet that is not heating, nor to stop the sea rise that is not happening ... it is actually to reduce coal or oil usage because it will eventually run out. (Coal will run out in something like 1000 years by the way, and oil ... we keep on finding more)
How silly of me.

And if that argument fails will we be talking about becoming vegetarians? or live in caves that do not need heating? fit oar locks on our boats? How much better life would be if we all go to work on pushbikes?

There are words to describe all this schemes, but they fit more the language of psychiatrist.
Stay on your horse, I'll open the gate!

Please re-read the first sentence of my post again and if you wish to leave aside the AGW arguments for a moment you could, perhaps, respond to the question.

If you don't wish to do so, that's fine also - your call
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-08-2019, 03:52   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Leaving aside the AGW arguments for a moment.

Curious - is the supply of fossil fuels finite or infinite?

I've always assumed it was finite and therefore sooner or later an alternative must be found. If so, will it cost more to do it now or later or is the question more like whose pockets are lined by doing now or by doing it later?

Of course, if fossil fuels are infinite, the question is sort of redundant.
while technically finite they seem to keep finding more every day as technology improves .

Heck they have started producing again in fields that were thought to be pumped dry 20 years ago.
So who knows
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03   #93
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ thanks newhaul
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-08-2019, 04:04   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
while technically finite they seem to keep finding more [oil] every day as technology improves .

Heck they have started producing again in fields that were thought to be pumped dry 20 years ago.
So who knows
Although current production is high, the rate of discovery is definitely slowing down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil#Discoveries
Old 04-08-2019, 04:20   #95

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Counter-intuitively, sea level changes are not the same world-wide.
I see ... someone should tell those stupid hydrologist who dedicated their life to study sea levels. They should buy a smartphone and copy the app for it.

The greatest deception men suffer is their own opinions.
- Leonardo da Vinci -
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry Wotname, missed the finer detail ...
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
I see ... someone should tell those stupid hydrologist who dedicated their life to study sea levels. They should buy a smartphone and copy the app for it. ...
Not sure who the "stupid hydrologist" is that you are referring to, but what I quoted is from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), which employs many of the top hydrologists in the US.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:53   #97
cruiser

Quote:

Climate Change: Global Sea Level NOAA
At 1/8 inch per year, I’m pretty sure most of us will be able to outrun the rising water.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:23   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
At 1/8 inch per year, I’m pretty sure most of us will be able to outrun the rising water.
Good luck to you

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...222132780.html

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/m...decade-8370816

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...lorida-200956/
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Greenland ice sheet poured 197 billion tons of water into the North Atlantic in July alone
Quote:
...An extraordinary melt event that began earlier this week continued through August 1 on the Greenland ice sheet, and there are signs that about 60 percent of the expansive ice cover saw detectable surface melting, including at higher elevations that only rarely see temperatures climb above freezing.

On Thursday, the ice sheet saw its biggest single-day volume loss on record, with 12.5 billion tons of ice lost to the ocean from surface melt, according to computer model estimates based on satellite and other data. Records of daily mass loss date back to 1950....

This is enough to raise sea levels by 0.5 millimeter, or 0.02 inches, in a one-month time frame, said Martin Stendel, a researcher with the institute....
Old 04-08-2019, 06:12   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

what a bunch of bs,
Most of Florida is actually sinking . Its called isotastic rebound . Look it up.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:13   #101

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Although current production is high, the rate of discovery is definitely slowing down.

Now that's funny. You're obviously too young to remember the oil crisis of the 1970's. A chart of that shape has been around since then. It's always the same; showing maximum consumption now, but tailing away dramatically within a few short years. In fact, I remember being very depressed when I got my drivers license because the world was supposed to run out of oil by the year 2000. And we all know how that prediction went. That chart is best left in the power point presentations of oil futures salesmen, methinks.

Quote:

Climate Change: Global Sea Level NOAA

Hmm, so GLOBAL climate change effects that great big 'ol interconnected ocean's sea level differently, and seemingly in circular patches. It's too bad Port Jackson is sitting in a big blue spot, too. And gotta love the comment that "the ocean is higher this year than yada yada yada". You might want to send the NOAA an email for the express purpose of reminding your hydrologist buddies that the ocean has been basically (lol) rising every year since at least 10000 BC.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:15   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

my relatives that work in the industry would get to differ with your Wikipedia cut and paste.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Now that's funny. You're obviously too young to remember the oil crisis of the 1970's. A chart of that shape has been around since then. It's always the same; showing maximum consumption now, but tailing away dramatically within a few short years. In fact, I remember being very depressed when I got my drivers license because the world was supposed to run out of oil by the year 2000. And we all know how that prediction went. That chart is best left in the power point presentations of oil futures salesmen, methinks.

you mean the good old you can buy gas on even days because the last number of your license plate was an even number.

I didn't see any problem getting as much diesel as the companies tuck needed every day . ( bed buging) furniture mover)
Old 04-08-2019, 06:35   #104

Quote:
You might want to send the NOAA an email for the express purpose of reminding your hydrologist buddies that the ocean has been basically (lol) rising every year since at least 10000 BC.
Sea Level has been pretty stable for the last few thousand years, but now it's starting to rise -- and at an increasing rate. I wonder why? Newhaul assures us it's getting cooler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_sea_level

Old 04-08-2019, 06:37   #105

Quote:
"Burn, baby, burn"

I wonder why Big Oil is increasingly investing in renewables?

Big Oil Is Feeling The Heat And Dipping Into Green Energy

Big Oil’s Big Issue With Embracing ‘Big Energy’

Big Oil spent 1 percent on green energy in 2018
Closed Thread