Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 11:30   #46

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Oil Rising Again from BP Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i understand appalachiacola's oysters are still very very good. i would eat em.

I had 2 dozen in Foley Alabama 3 weeks ago...yummmm
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 11:49   #47

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
spills differ in that seep rates do not, on average, exceed the marine environment’s capacity to digest the oil, whereas spills often exceed its capacity.
true and the effect is reversed if the leak is stopped. The bacteria that eat the oil have been doing this for millenia in the oceans and where there are higher seeps there are going to be more and better bacteria to feed on this oil. So if a spill happens in the gulf with a lot of natural seepage it is better than happening someplace with less natural seepage.

The macondo well was leaking tremendous amounts of oil and they fractured the sea bed maybe trying to stop it which makes more seepage even after capping, so it would have been better to have started production as with the secondary well and drill even more to lower the pressures and drain the field, and also cap the leaking well, but all they wanted to do was stop it anyway possible which built the pressures greater and made more seepage down the road.
Stop the leak was all they kept saying.

Maybe we can figure out a solution for when wells do this in the future where the oil can be exploited thus lowering the pressure and maybe get a better seal for the future on the leak.
does anyone get my point? The reason they drill is to exploit the oil.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:53   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
... it would have been better to have started production as with the secondary well and drill even more to lower the pressures and drain the field ...
BP drilled two relief wells at Macondo, the first commenced on May 2 and the second, a ‘contingency’ well, almost a week later.

The Macondo Prospect is beneath 5000 feet (1524 m) of water plus 13,000 feet (3962 m) of rock.

It takes months to move methodically at an angle, through roughly 13,000-feet of rock, buried beneath 5,000 feet of water.

See ➥
Drill BP, Drill: By Boring Relief Wells Closer to the Oil Reservoir BP Hopes to Up Odds of Success: Scientific American

And ➥ http://www.deepwater.com/_filelib/Fi...NSOCEAN_ES.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 13:17   #49

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

[QUOTE=GordMay;760092]BP drilled two relief wells at Macondo, the first commenced on May 2 and the second, a ‘contingency’ well, almost a week later.

QUOTE]

They were started but never completed. Administration told them to stop drilling and just cap the well. Drilling, by Americans, in the Gulf was halted.

One month later they gave Brazil a billion dollars to drill in the Gulf.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 14:49   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They were started but never completed...[/QUOTE]
“... Two relief wells were drilled to provide bottom kill capability. The first relief well was able to intersect the well and permanently seal the Macondo well ...” (September 16).

Final Report on the Investigation of the Macondo Well Blowout:
http://ccrm.berkeley.edu/pdfs_papers...ch2011-tag.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident
... One month later they gave Brazil a billion dollars to drill in the Gulf.[/quote]

If you cannot get your fact right, why should I trust your judgement? In this case, I suspect that your facts are wrong.

Old 26-08-2011, 15:30   #51

Boat: 1986 Cruiser Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Misinformation ? Really ?

Pic taken 8/19.

Attachment 30849
FYI, Gasoline / Diesel has a "rainbow" multicolored sheen. Oil is yellow/brown with more of a waxy sheen. Hyd fluid also has some color to it but basically is a waxy type of color.

The "Press" has done more to damage the economy of the gulf states from Florida to Texas than did the Oil spill. I am an angler, a scuba diver, a boater, and an oilman. FYI, No one comments on actually how clean things really are - Like it or not, BP took responsibility and have done and are still doing a pretty dang good job at cleaning up. (I live in Louisiana - Keep my vessel in Galveston). The shrimp and fishing are Awesome.

I was less inclined to eat the seafood after hurricane Katrina and didn't for few years.
Beer Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 15:38   #52

Boat: Triton 24

As a scientist who has been involved in environmental projects I've seen the polarised reaction when evidence disagrees with personal bias. People of a certain mindset will immediately disregard you as being a lying shill of the corporate-military-industrial complex, whereas those at the other end of the spectrum are sure you're part of a hippie/commie plot specifically designed to interfere with their heaven-mandated right to shoot Bambi from a combat helicopter with nuclear-tipped missiles.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 16:09   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Beer Budget.

Don’t be shy - jump right in.

Old 26-08-2011, 16:54   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

savoir, if you are going to quote me at least quote me in context.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:08   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
As a scientist who has been involved in environmental projects I've seen the polarised reaction when evidence disagrees with personal bias. People of a certain mindset will immediately disregard you as being a lying shill of the corporate-military-industrial complex, whereas those at the other end of the spectrum are sure you're part of a hippie/commie plot specifically designed to interfere with their heaven-mandated right to shoot Bambi from a combat helicopter with nuclear-tipped missiles.
yep. one program i saw on non public tv was interviewing the DOE people working in the area. alot of video including underwater showing the sludge. of course there are those that dont believe in global warming, even though treal evidence isreduction in the volume of glaciers at unrecorded levels. I can physically see some of these glaciers when I drive the northern pass. it's real. not sayin what caused it... just sayin it's real!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:33   #56

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Science is the only answer and I hope that folks from LSU are out there getting the facts. If that thing is leaking again something must be done about it and BP should pay for it. Politicians are not scientists in most cases. I would love to know the truth and see the mess cleaned up.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:37   #57

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
I can physically see some of these glaciers when I drive the northern pass. it's real. not sayin what caused it... just sayin it's real!
ok instead of AGW, could also be this, the glaciers melt move all the time (which is true, they actually slowly flow down hill to warmer places), AND the amount of precipitation is less than it was before at the source, high up, so you see the glaciers retreat and you think AGW but it is not then is it?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 22:09   #58

Boat: Able 50

Video of leaking oil taken on 8/23.

BREAKING NEWS! OIL LEAK IN GULF CONFIRMED FROM THE BP GULF OIL SPILL MACONDO WELL!
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 22:40   #59

Boat: 1986 Cruiser Yacht

I read the entire story and also clicked on all the links. First of all the link that was posted above is from a blogger who is obviously biased and has little if any jounalistic integrity (imho). If the story is read completely, one cannot come to the conclusion that the Macondo wellsite is leaking. The sheens and globules of oil are hit and miss. There could be a problem but ROV's, (remotely operated vehicles) have been unable to find any leaks, vessels stationed onsite have seen little to nothing. Theorys vary from some oil escaping from wrecage and or the old riser/cap sections to oil on the seafloor degrading and lighter material surfacing...I am not saying that the possibility of a leak does not exist only that this is unreliable and misleading. It seems to be structured to encite a knee jerk reaction. We must all do a little research prior to committing ourselves until this is confirmed. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas have all suffered enough due to unfair and biased media exaggerating the facts that basically destroyed the tourism industry for the last two years.
Beer Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 23:00   #60

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
Exactly correct. Unfortunately, it's difficult to believe anything that comes from true believers from either side. I am an engineer with many years behind me and DATA (informaton, not the Star Trek character) is my God. Even scientists lie when they have an agenda, witness the Global Warming data scandal.

We assume that because someone is passionate about something that they are qualified to make learned statements because they care. My brother is one of the most caring people I know. He spends his life helping those who are suffering. Every year he spends his vacation in New Orleans building houses for the poor. He cares, but I don't want him operating on my brain. SImilarly, I don't want to hear conclusions from the Sierra Club or the Petroleum Institute. I'll look at the data and draw my own conclusions.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil