Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:54   #31

Re: Photoshop Horror?

Maybe we'll go for a real colour this month and take a risk. If it's any use, you could buy the issue on iTunes and get the whole boat test on a murky grey UK solent day, I ended up sitting with the dog on my lap, using it as a hot water bottle...
STmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59   #32

Boat: Seaward 22

I prefer the original with the hat. Really interesting with the gray sky vs. all that blue.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:29   #33

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by STmag View Post
I'd be interested to hear if people think the original shot would be better as the cover shot, as we have found sunny looking covers sell - especially on the App store, so 9 times out of 10 we put new sky in. (rather than Solent february -2 grey sludge!)
I for one much prefer the original - the sky looks fantastic, the whole setup is more honest and the scene represents something you could actually see with your own eyes. It makes me feel more excited about the prospect of getting out there rather than left feeling empty and miserable by an unrealistic scene which I cannot connect with. The tonal balance between the ensign and the background sky now makes more sense too!

I've always thought that the marketing angle for these things came down to attainability and accessibility - if a photo's background has obviously been faked to make, for example, the weather much better, it leaves you wondering whether it's even possible to have a good day's sail in the solent, "Look, it's so improbable they were forced to fake it!"

Apart from ST being a very well put together magazine drawing and large readership, I'd have thought that the readers would be more interested in gritty honesty, true representation and details, much like what they expect and enjoy about sailing - rather than gloss and champagne. Unlike the readership of Yacht International who must prefer feeling miserable after flipping through the many pages of small private ships: due to the unobtainable silliness!

I've always appreciated high quality photography (maybe with a little colour correction) over photoshopped images. I look forward in fear to the day that ST features a hollywood star with a Rolex-looking sailing-watch poorly pasted onto their naked wrist: one of Hanse's latest adverts is getting close.. it features an excited crowd in the dark cheering at their latest performance cruiser whose colour, shade, size, scale and perspective doesn't even remotely match any form of reality! However, the awfulness makes me smile everytime I see it..

Regarding the magazine overall: pass on my best to the team and keep up the good work!

Phil
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:36   #34

Quote:
Maybe we'll go for a real colour this month and take a risk. If it's any use, you could buy the issue on iTunes and get the whole boat test on a murky grey UK solent day, I ended up sitting with the dog on my lap, using it as a hot water bottle...
I forgot to mention the great photos by the way.. it must have been pleasing to look through them when you got back to land and you'd defrosted your fingers!?

Welcome to CF.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40   #35

Hi Phil,
That is the sort of feedback we love. And it's the sort of reply which will help me put the sort of covers that we feel are 'right' for the mag - rather than a glossed up version that publishers love. Don't worry - the inside will never have Rolex toting totty faking it - we're old school here. Saying that the editor wouldn't say no to an Oyster Submariner...
Watch out for the next cover, if it bombs we'll blame you!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52   #36

Quote:
Editor wouldn't say no to an Oyster Submariner...
Watch out for the next cover, if it bombs we'll blame you!
I wonder if Rolex would be up for a "10 year reliability test" performed by the Editor of one of "Europe's premier sailing magazines"? must be worth a few minutes of Jake's time to put a cheeky email into Rolex! Surely this would be one of the best ways to answer the question pursed on the lips of the nation: "Is the Oyster Submariner the right longterm timepiece for the wrists of our nation's yachties?" The longer it stays on his arm the more likely the answer is going to be "Yes!"

I await ST's June cover with avid anticipation - the only way I could see it bombing is if the headline read "Skegness exposed! Read our 127 page guide.." .. but that's really not going to happen is it!? (touch wood)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55   #37

I agree with sunny. Too much of that grey up here in the PNW anyway..... makes me want to back to bed instead of want to go sailing! I think the point is; sailing on days like shown with a beautiful sunny sky does exist, it is "real" to that extent.... why would a magazine spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get the perfect untouched photo?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:32   #38

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I kinda liked both photos. I'll have to pick up a copy of the mag and see for myself.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...why would a magazine spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get the perfect untouched photo?
'cause it gives them an enormous sense of wellbeing!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

@STMag: the only mistake you made is trying to shoot that in the wrong place If you do it in the Caribbean you also get the wind that genuinely heels the boat that far at the speed to match the heel, making it much more realistic. I guess you're gonna have to ask for more budget, travel expenses etc. and rough it out in a place like say the ABC's... hardship I know, but somebody has to do it

Here's the real deal, west Caribbean, from the eye of a point & shoot camera:

and the skies to go with it (with a bit better camera):

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
ciao!
Nick.
Nick,

Those cloud shots are stunning! Minor earth, major sky...

Phil
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Those cloud shots are stunning! Minor earth, major sky...
Thank you I have been practicing this and also have better glass and camera than last year... now we need the summer I was in the mountains last two weeks and found some nice clouds to practice on there, like here around the top of vulcan Baru:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:02   #43

Nick, I look forward to a cruising piece from you this year - along with stunning photos!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nick, I look forward to a cruising piece from you this year - along with stunning photos!
right me, retired, 10 years already I don't even have time enough for my own blog haha. My articles also tend to be about fixing the boat, surviving storms and aftermaths etc.

But I'll remember you if I ever come to writing about cruising, thanks

p.s. I made it to 5,000 posts with this one

ciao!
Nick.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I made it to 5,000 posts
Nick,

Well done! I'm sure that deserves a drink: as the say in the deep and dirty south, "a drink at 10 in t' mornin' - why the h3ll not? it's 5 o'clock somewhere!"

Phil