Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 16:41   #1

possible?

wondering what people think about trying to row a 14' or 16' whitewater cataraft from the mouth of the Colorado River along the East Coast of the Baja Peninsula, as far south as La Paz or Cabo... most likely during the winter months after hurricane season. Thoughts or opinions?
JonEtters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 16:53   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
better in a yak

I've been doing kayak trips in that area at least once a year for the past decade, mostly in December and March. The problem you'll have with a cataraft is windage. It can blow for days down there, and even in a sea kayak you can end up pinned to the beach for several days.
Old 16-01-2009, 17:05   #3

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quite a bit o rowin there Jon. Guess anything's possible, but I wouldn't wanna do it. What is that, 400 miles? Can't carry much on those catarafts, so you'll need money for daily food, water, and hopefully a shower here and there. Maybe row 10-20mi per day, if that, so you'll need ton of time.

Don't know your reasons for wanting to do it, but frankly I don't see it a happenin.

Anything's possible though, I been wrong plenty o times before.

Could probably write a book after it's all said and done... If you're not dead.

Cheers

Bill
Old 17-01-2009, 06:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I don’t know anything about that area...but as a general rule I would have to say… GO FOR IT!
There are few things as worth while as a good adventure!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 17:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
As someone who's done a few larger sea kayak trips, I'll echo the part about windage. A touring kayak (sea kayak) might be a better option. For extended time at sea there are the boats used by the crazy folks who have the trans Atlantic rowing races, but I think you need favorable currents or wind to make any progress in those.

There are also some rowing Dory's (that can have sailing rigs) that are designed for the seas off eastern Canada. Those might be a good rowing option as well.

Years ago, I did a 36-day trip along the coast of Queensland and we used a Folboat folding kayak and frequently carried food for 10+ days and close to a weeks worth of drinking water. Folboat makes a single and double version.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 19:26   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEtters View Post
wondering what people think about trying to row a 14' or 16' whitewater cataraft from the mouth of the Colorado River along the East Coast of the Baja Peninsula, as far south as La Paz or Cabo... most likely during the winter months after hurricane season. Thoughts or opinions?
This is do-able, Jon, but I agree with those who question your choice of craft. Were you thinking of using the Cataraft because you already have one?

The straight-line distance from what's left of the Colorado as it trickles into the Sea of Cortez, to Cabo, is at least 600 miles, and the distance you would have to cover as you make your way down the coast will be a fair bit farther than that. But if you're a fit, experienced kayaker (a much better choice of vessel for such a voyage, IMO) and you have plenty of time for the trip, I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Accomodations along your proposed route will be sparse, at best, but if you provision well before you set out, then re-provision at every opportunity, you should be OK. There are at least a couple of kayaking outfits based in Loreto, so if you hook up with them when you get that far, they should be able to help with any needed repairs, provisions, medical necessities, etc.

If you can do this in company with at least one other experienced paddler, I think it will make for a safer adventure. With the right person, it will also enhance the experience. Of course, with the wrong person, it will ruin the entire trip. Only you know who the right person might be.

Overall, I think it sounds like an awesome undertaking. If I were about forty years younger, I'd be happy to throw in with you. Best of luck with your "incredible voyage."

TaoJones

PS: Here's a link to an interesting account of a pair of paddlers who crossed the Sea of Cortez at the Midriff Islands area:

http://www.canoekayak.com/destinatio...heseaofcortez/