Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 17:17   #31

I made several potato cannons over the years of the hairspray/rightguard type. Many plans on the internet so I'll spare you the details of how to make them. Here is what I have learned: These things are dangerous as hell! Reenforce the combustion chamber and joints from and to it with duct tape, then a towel, then more duct tape. Pvc shrapnel is a bitch!!! Only use rightguard. Hairspray works as good, but gums up everything and smells nasty.. Starter fluid is much more volital and can and does blow the cannons up!!!!!! Never hit someone directly at a range of less than 50 yards.... Believe me! You can kill someone with these things.

Lastly: My favorite use for the cannons was for hyper-extended casts, while surf fishing for shark. Have a partner hold a large open faced reel with the bale open. Cram a potato snugly down the tube. Carefully put the hooks, bait (squid for me), and weights on top of the potato; prime the cannon, hit the striker, and the joy of watching a couple squid shoot 250 yards at a hundred miles per hour, far out into the surf, is a joy that few people ever get to witness!!!! It brought tears of joy to my eyes!!!!
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 18:42   #32
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
after splitting a couple combustion chambers I moved the igniter to the end cap to avoid drilling and weakening the chamber wall, and used big stainless hose clamps (jubilee clamps for the Brits) to reinforce the combustion chamber. like barrel hoops
Old 22-12-2009, 19:41   #33

Amen Canibul, I always put the "coleman" stricker at the end cap. A few hoops are recommended as well. Remember to grind the tip of the barrel sharp, in order for the barrel tip to act as your "potato sizer". We found that hard green Texas pears worked een better than potatoes as far as power goes.. And smashed wet news paper, works well as a sabot for other loads. (we shot all kinds of fascinating things into the air with these. Smoke bombs and firecrackers were on the top of the list)
Old 22-12-2009, 21:55   #34
One of Those

I was kinda known for my experiments with explosives all through my formative years. I was one of those guys who won a science award for making my own napalm...used potassium chlorate in my home mixed powder instead of the nitrate...

I had a great time with warheads in aluminum arrows.

I can see some serious possibilities with potato gun howitzers...
Old 22-12-2009, 23:09   #35

Just read and bookmarked your blog Canibul. My hat is off to ya two, what fun you folks are experienceing. I suggest mounting a 4" inch cannon on the bow of that beautiful boat! Using a wad of newpaper for a sabot, one can send non-lethal things to your fellow mates. Red grapes came to mind first, and fish came as a second thought! Consider the possiblities.BLACKLISTER is already dead.BLACKLISTER is already dead.
Old 22-12-2009, 23:12   #36

"BLACKLISTER is already dead.BLACKLISTER is already dead. " Ooops sorry my friend, this fell off my keypad. I am playing the game "mobsters" from "Myspace" at the moment. How embarrassing!
Old 23-12-2009, 04:07   #37
One of Those

Hey, cool. Glad you like the blog. Its a fun hobby. I can't believe it's grown to over 200 posts. And the latest one is about sailing, even!! Should be more of those coming up.

And I thought "Blacklister" must be the name of a monohull....
Old 23-12-2009, 08:01   #38

Yeah, the blog is great, Love the pics and the maps. Hummm, "Blacklisted" would be a better name for my next boat!