Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 02:26   #1

Powerboat Smashes Fishermen

From the fishermen's perspective. Not a lot of time between when they realize what is happening and the actual impact.

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 03:32   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Powerboat Smashes Fishermen

Idiot driver was sitting down and could not see over the bow. He also had a history of texting while underway. Hopefully he goes to jail for attempted man slaughter
Old 18-01-2018, 03:36   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

No one hurt? Crazy stuff.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 04:15   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Idiot driver was sitting down and could not see over the bow. He also had a history of texting while underway. Hopefully he goes to jail for attempted man slaughter
Absolutely
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 04:39   #5

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Article below says the skipper uses a motorized scooter to get around on land, standing might have prevented the collision but may not have been possible for the gentleman.

Fisherman caught on video jumping into water to avoid death sues boat driver | OregonLive.com
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 05:08   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Article below says the skipper uses a motorized scooter to get around on land, standing might have prevented the collision but may not have been possible for the gentleman.

Fisherman caught on video jumping into water to avoid death sues boat driver | OregonLive.com
Believe that falls under 'one's freedom extends to the length it impacts others'...this seems to take the ADA legislation a bit too far...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 05:13   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

True fishermen - no one let go of their poles as they jumped for their lives!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 05:23   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Believe that falls under 'one's freedom extends to the length it impacts others'...this seems to take the ADA legislation a bit too far...
Right, like Braille on drive-up ATMs.

I have an opinion on whether this guy should have been boating alone, but my opinion doesn't matter, and I don't want any person's opinion impacting what I can do. So I keep it to myself and just hope people make good decisions, but I'm on the lookout for people that don't.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 05:46   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

"Larsen (the larger boats driver), a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly."

I guess he'd have to kill someone to 'make a lawsuit seem necessary'. How about this opinion...make the lawsuit large enough that the only boat he can afford to operate is a rowboat?

Of course, the reporting of his statement by Pacific Northwest News is probably also 'fake news'...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:00   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

A couple of troubling things here.

No-one seems to have pointed out that the operator was required to maintain a safe speed AND a proper lookout. Certainly if he couldn't see forward, that was not a safe speed. And why wasn't the son-in-law assigned lookout duties?

These folks probably consider themselves fishermen, not boaters. The Colregs were the farthest thing from their minds. That's why you read nothing about stand-on, give-way, proper lookout or proper speed.

Then there's the arrogance of suggesting it's OK to cause a collision because no-one was badly hurt. It's only reinforced by using the "fake news" excuse that's become so popular nowadays when anyone catches you doing something illegal or immoral.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:41   #11

Yes. It’s right up there with allowing a collision to happen because you have the right-of-way. Regardless of any other law, or any circumstances or excuses, as captain of your vessel you are responsible for everything and everyone that is on it, at all times. If you can’t accept that, and accept you are expected to avoid collisions regardless of who’s right and who’s wrong, then you have no business being at the helm.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:11   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Any word on just **how** fast he was going?

Maybe just the cam's perspective but Wow that sure seems demented fast if he wasn't very actively looking
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 16:04   #13

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Delancy,

In that video of the high speed motor vessel driving over the transom of the fishermen, I did not see anyone at the helm. No one on watch. Engine ahead, auto pilot on, and down below doing what ever.

Unfortuantely , we see that a lot....motor vessels at sea, no one at the helm, same for the catmarans, under power, sails up, auto pilot on, and no one at the helm. And about six to eight people on board. Especially in the BVI.

Also, no life jackets on the fishermen that we could observe, lots of clothes and boots, that would pull them down.

Lots of stories on that subject, some with very bad outcomes.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 18:30   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Delancy,

In that video of the high speed motor vessel driving over the transom of the fishermen, I did not see anyone at the helm. No one on watch. Engine ahead, auto pilot on, and down below doing what ever.
I don't see any indication whether anyone was at the helm, or on watch, or not. I can't even see the helm in the video. All I can see from the POV of the open fishing boat is the forward part of the hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Also, no life jackets on the fishermen that we could observe, lots of clothes and boots, that would pull them down.
Good point, but in this case I'm sure getting off the boat in time, and in the right direction, is what saved them. Life jackets really didn't come into play here. Of course, IF they'd been wearing type I's, and IF one of them was seriously injured, it would have helped turn them face-up and keep them floating with their head above water until help arrived, so I can't say they couldn't possibly have made any difference. Just my opinion that it probably wouldn't have, and it's unlikely they even HAD type I's on board.

I've also heard it's a myth that boots or clothing will "pull you down." In fact, the last cold water immersion class I attended (qualifying as a life raft drill conductor) suggested that it was best to keep clothes and boots ON.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 18:56   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't see any indication whether anyone was at the helm, or on watch, or not. I can't even see the helm in the video. All I can see from the POV of the open fishing boat is the forward part of the hull.

Good point, but in this case I'm sure getting off the boat in time, and in the right direction, is what saved them. Life jackets really didn't come into play here. Of course, IF they'd been wearing type I's, and IF one of them was seriously injured, it would have helped turn them face-up and keep them floating with their head above water until help arrived, so I can't say they couldn't possibly have made any difference. Just my opinion that it probably wouldn't have, and it's unlikely they even HAD type I's on board.

I've also heard it's a myth that boots or clothing will "pull you down." In fact, the last cold water immersion class I attended (qualifying as a life raft drill conductor) suggested that it was best to keep clothes and boots ON.
If I had been in their position, when I dove overboard I'd have been getting as deep as I could to avoid being hit by hull, rudder or prop. Wearing a PFD would have prevented that option and perhaps lead to my demise.

Jim

Tags
boat, fish, Fisher, men