Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 16:29   #151

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Being a Pole I know all the good ones but I get edited for whistling White Christmas on a Haiti thread so I'll wait for some more good PM's.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 16:50   #152

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
A toothpick
Hallucinogens
Salt and pepper.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 17:59   #153

Keep an eye on Craigs List for free provisions.

apocalypse late: free 25lb sack of flour (Kailua, Oahu)

Date: 2010-12-07, 8:54AM HST
Reply to: sale-pxtwm-2100250987@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Inasmuch as those getting food stamps can afford better food than we can, the only people going hungry on this island are probably dieting. But there may still be a few with an ethic of avoiding waste, living lightly on the earth, or just being cheap. It is to those souls this offer may conceivably appeal.

We put away some food back in 2003 so we wouldn't have to immediately eat our neighbors once the neighborhood Piggly-Wiggly ran out of briskit & grits. We haven't changed our opinion about the finite probability of a hiatus in food supplies - this is, after all, a rock in the ocean with a city on it - we just have more expendable neighbors down the hill now.

Up for grabs is a 25-lb sack of flour. Seems to be perfectly fine, we just don't use flour for anything. I guess we figured that we'd find some way to eat it once reduced to semi-starvation by a failure of global empire and networked connectivity. Probably by frying it in the canola oil that we gave away here a year ago, after it was punctured and sucked on by rats. The fact that someone actually wanted that rat-sucked canola oil gives us both confidence that someone will want this perfectly-good flour, and trepedation about the craigslist demographic.

I suppose that in retrospect - had some calamity occurred - we could have combined the canola, flour, and surfeit of rats by making battered deep-fried rats-on-a-stick for the neighbors while we covertly ate our stored hershey bars. Not the neighbors down the hill though, that'd be a waste of perfectly good fried rats.

Seems like when it comes to post-apocalyptic planning, timing is everything. However, for you it's a win-win: not only are you not part of an emaciated starving mob, but you have an opportunity to drive over and pick up some free flour. You should probably plan to use it pretty soon, inasmuch as it's already old enough to be in second grade.

Email if interested. The flour is in an unopened sack and is located in Maunawili near Kailua. Preference will be given to folks nearby - recycling makes no sense at all if the person getting it is driving an SUV from Haleiwa. As noted, the sack hasn't been opened, but leaks a bit in a powderpuff way in the manner of all large sacks of flour, so don't wear black when picking it up.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 17:16   #154
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
when I rebuilt my galley I found all sorts of waste space, just the space behind the stove will fit 10 10lb bags of rice, etc
Old 18-12-2010, 17:39   #155
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
galleys are notoriously inefficient in space usage...i cant wait to find more space in mine...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 17:56   #156
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I gutted mine out all the way down to the hull. I had an 8'x4' space to work with, w/ 18"x24" standing area. I ended up with a wrap around galley, port and starboard side w/ large (30"x 18") previously non-existent counter space behind companion way steps under the nav deck.
Old 18-12-2010, 19:05   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
a few hookers,then at least you have a viable commodity to sell,worlds oldest profession and all.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 09:27   #158

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"(China holds $1.7 trillion of the US debt alone). "
Secured, or unsecured?
Secured by what, or if unsecured, what happens if they say "You give me trillion dollars now, yes?" and the US simply says "No, we're defaulting. It's unsecured, good luck with that."
?
Actually China is well aware of the fact it is holding toilet paper. What China is doing now is taking the US dollar reserves it has from a decade or more of slanted trading and using it to secure access to raw materials around the world. The world consumer buys cheap plastic junk and China uses the cash to further its grasp on world resources. Look up the problem the world is having with rare earth elements. That will do for a start.

Anyway, I'm tending to stay away from fishing poles, reels n such. Too complicated. I'll go with long line fishing. As for how long to stay off shore before going in to have a peek? I'd say at least a couple of months. By that time the majority of the riff raff will have starved or been killed off by raiders. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a city, town or village. The chances of getting some disease is too high. Think of all the unburied bodies if it all goes to hell in a rush from something like a plague or mass starvation because the supply system broke down.

To my mind, keep provisions stocked at all times, and learn to read the tea leaves. 90% of surviving a sudden catastrophy is in learning how to read the signs that it's time to be somewhere else. This goes equally for those who live on land or sea. Never go anywhere without your BOB. (bug out bag)

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:27   #159

Boat: 1978 C.N.S.O Mikado 56
After the book references I am surprised no one mentioned a towel.
Pixistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:09   #160

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

All this would make a good script for a new movie. Where's MarkJ.
Old 20-12-2010, 16:12   #161
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

He'll be logging in around 1030am 2moro

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 17:04   #162

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Actually China is well aware of the fact it is holding toilet paper. What China is doing now is taking the US dollar reserves it has from a decade or more of slanted trading and using it to secure access to raw materials around the world. The world consumer buys cheap plastic junk and China uses the cash to further its grasp on world resources. Look up the problem the world is having with rare earth elements. That will do for a start.

Anyway, I'm tending to stay away from fishing poles, reels n such. Too complicated. I'll go with long line fishing. As for how long to stay off shore before going in to have a peek? I'd say at least a couple of months. By that time the majority of the riff raff will have starved or been killed off by raiders. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a city, town or village. The chances of getting some disease is too high. Think of all the unburied bodies if it all goes to hell in a rush from something like a plague or mass starvation because the supply system broke down.

To my mind, keep provisions stocked at all times, and learn to read the tea leaves. 90% of surviving a sudden catastrophy is in learning how to read the signs that it's time to be somewhere else. This goes equally for those who live on land or sea. Never go anywhere without your BOB. (bug out bag)

Sabre
Good post
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 17:06   #163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Saltpeter

Vitamin C tablets
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:17   #164

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Saltpeter?? I can see it being used for preserving food but my god, it sure would interfere with getting together with the nubile nymphettes so we can repopulate the world after it all settles down again.

Better to buy a pressure canner and jars. Learn to can your own. It's fun, and a bit of a blast learning how. The first few experiments of mine turned out like something on the shelf in that CSI Las Vegas guys' office. Or exploded. Made a hell of a mess. But with a bit of practice you can can just about anything. Good to take advantage of sales and what not. The jars and rings are reusable, and the lids come in very small boxes. 75mm square and about 25mm thick. You can store a lot of them in a small space. Storing the jars is also fairly easy if you put some thought into it. Thin plastic sheeting cut to make a lattice work divider for a locker, a solid sheet over the first layer and so on. Keep them packed fairly tight and they won't break.

Learning to make jerky is also a good idea. You can dry just about anything.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:35   #165

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
The best meat I ever ate was canned by and Amish woman.
Have one of those aboard.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote