Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28   #1

Problem with a Distant Relationship !

A couple of weeks ago I became a happy owner of a yacht in Greece. Yesterday (Wednesday) I left the office in Stockholm at 2pm to catch some flights down to greece to visit my yacht as owner for the first time.

It is now 3 pm on Thursday and I am standing in a queue at Frankfurt airport trying to arrange a flight. My flight to Frankfurt was diverted to Stuttgart and I had to take a train to Frankfurt. The train was stuck for a couple of hours and as a result I arrived at 3am, too late to bother with a hotel given the early flight I was due to take. The flight was eventually cancelled so I am queuing.

So now I have been awake for 32 hours, spent at least 5 hours standing in various queues, my feet are aching, knees sore, I'm tired I'm hungry and I'm bored and frustrated because I don't expect to make Athens today. I am also not confident that I can get down there early enough to get the only domestic flight to Samos I can take if I am not overnighting in Athens. So realistically Saturday is when I think I can get to my boat. Then on Sunday I have to hope for two on time flights to get back home in one day, but with the weather I don't fancy my chances.

I am also learning the down side of traveling alone, I cannot get a break from the queues

its all pissing me off so much that I am starting to think of aborting this trip and catch a plane home.

Right now the idea of bringing the yacht up to cold Sweden and having it local is starting to appeal compared with a warm but distant relationship, with flights.....

So frustrated I need to let off steam an have a rant...

Arrrggggghhhhh
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34   #2

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Get out of the queues and go rent a car. You're already half way there!
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
My dad always used to tell me "It'll feel better when it quits hurt-in"
Yeah...I know, It doesn't help, but it will get better.
Hang in there buddy.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44   #4

Na ja, schlimmer geht immer: at least you don't have diarrhoea are in good health. And unlike in a human LDR, the boat won't start a fight with you to distract from the pain of goodbye just before you leave.

I can see (the north-eastern side of) Samos from my house, so I'll wave nice thoughts your boat's way.

None of that helps, does it ...
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones
Get out of the queues and go rent a car. You're already half way there!
I wish.... The is probably a queue for the cars and unfortunately Samos is on the far side of Greece.

About the only positive thing that has happened today was that when I was waiting for my morning "flight" I paid a few extra euro to get 30 days wifi access rather than just 1 hour. I was hoping that it was a smart decision because I could use it while I wait for my return flight transfer.. It has allowed me to rant hear an moan on facebook.

I'm nearing the end of my current queue, don't know what will happen next
Old 09-12-2010, 06:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift
At least you don't have diarrhoea
that's an interesting positive attitude....

I does remind me of a very bad bus ride in Ecuador from 15 years ago
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I think you came up with a good idea about catching a flight home. Even though we all love our boats there might be a better time and opportunity for you to be together. Especially, if you'll only get a few hours to spend together.

Good luck in your travels!

kind regards,
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!!! enjoy and have fun-- this , too shall pass--like the lined out badness above from aegean-- true-- at least you ......
and isnt it that things are more special if the approach is befouled in some way??? speed bumps ..ouch--have fun and enjoy your new relationSHIP
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:00   #9

I figure I have enough adventure jumping from a 22 ft Searay in Stockholm to a 40 ft Jeanneau in Greece, plus the fact that I have barely sailed in the last 25 years and as I am single have no permament crew I can train up to be a mobile fender.

The flight down should be a mundane process.

Anyway I made it to Athens but my bag of goodies has not. So now I am in another bloody queue.

Grrrrrrrrrr

I left my office 32 hours ago and if I was instead flying to australia, I could now be sitting on my fathers yacht.

Grrrrrrrrrr this has been a long "day"

I have dream of finishing this thread with a photo of me having a beer on my boat. Hmmmm
Old 09-12-2010, 13:07   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
"I have dream of finishing this thread with a photo of me having a beer on my boat. Hmmmm"

PERFECT!!!!!!
i hope you get your bags easily..flying can be a strange experience...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:28   #11

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I think I'll have a beer on my boat, so at least one of us ends up having a good day.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:15   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I'm having one right now so I'll have another one for you Hoppy. Once you get on the boat everything will change for the better. Enjoy your beer.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:21   #13

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!!! enjoy and have fun-- this , too shall pass--like the lined out badness above from aegean-- true-- at least you ......
and isnt it that things are more special if the approach is befouled in some way??? speed bumps ..ouch--have fun and enjoy your new relationSHIP
Zee, you are are living example of "it is not the arrival, but the journey which is the adventure" attitude. You are some lady.

Old 09-12-2010, 14:25   #14

Boat: private yacht always moving
Enjoy the pat downs at the airport,,, last time I requested a female but they would not do that,,,, it would have been more fun

there was an article that i read,,, a person attempted to go through wearing a g-string,,, they made him put on more clothes
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01   #15

Well I finally made it

It was a strange feeling as I parked the hire car and had an unobstructed view of my boat. I thought WTF, I own that??? It really hit me (in a fantastic way) how much of a leap I have taken jumping from a 22ft sports boat

It was a fun afternoon exploring the boat, trying to figure out what every thing was for. Strangely what amused me most and gave me biggest thrill was a piece of wood I found. It took me half an hour to figure out that it was used to turn the bit of sofa in front of the nav desk into the 9th berth. I had been wondering for months how the 9th could be possible.

I have a couple of beers in the fridge but sitting down having my first cup of tea made me feel at home and the hassles of the past couple of days feel worth while.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote