Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02   #46

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Talking Re: Really Cool Plane -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rico View Post
I think maybe the Mustang driver saw a target of opportunity.....and jet skis can be a particular joy.

Maybe the OP saw Tom Cruise out having a bit of a flashback in his little steed.
Cannot speak to who the pilot was and I would buy him a whole bottle for the thrill of the spectacle. I love the old war birds and to see them loveingly cared for so that they can populate the skies still is awesome to me.

I have flown several planes, but the one I always think back on is the 1941 T6 that I had the pleasure of driving years ago. Just remembering the loops, rolls and all the other fun maneuvers I was able to perform is still smile provoking. We drained both wing tanks and landed with an almost empty belly tank.

Glad to hear from forum pilots here. Not to take away from the need for some regulation. I just cannot seem to get angry because a bureaucracy has told me I should be. No damage done, other than a few minutes of increased heart rate
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03   #47

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Really Cool Plane -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
My dad wrecked 3 planes but only got killed once. I still think planes are safe enough and a blast to fly. I have had two partial power failures with forced landings. Just got to believe in that engine. Believe with all your heart that it is going to quit any second and always be ready for a forced landing.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Unfortunately I bring that same mindset to our sailboat. And again, of course, I have had engine failures ( I stopped counting.) It makes motoring pretty stressful.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Flyovers take no great skill and are of no great risk. Why all the fuss ?

Low level aerobatics are another matter though, taking skill and nerve. Such a high though! I have only been a passenger for these (aerobatic shows), but have stepped out of aircraft with an earsplitting grin that takes hours to wipe off. Aerobatics in gliders for me were always at high altitude.

We are tending to become so over-regulated for the sake of our own 'safety', that I fear these will become things of the past in the near future .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29   #49
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
no damage done other than a few minutes of increased heart rate
i had a jet skier see how close he could get to my boat by zooming up at full speed then turning away at the last minute and kicking up spray. i felt like i was in danger the whole time until he lost interest several minutes later. it did not surprise me when one was playing games with a big tour boat here and ended up colliding with the steel hull .. instant death to the jet skier but no damage done to the tour boat.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:41   #50

A 3 year old was using a bubble blower with dishwashing soap and a 3 inch plastic hoop for the bubbles. Giggling and running. Unfortunately tripped while blowing and the damn plastic broke in his mout hit an artery and the resulting mayhem rendered the kid severely injured and nearly died.

Bubble blowers should be outlawed. Enough is enough. More regs less freedom. That's the recipe......
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:48   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i had a jet skier see how close he could get to my boat by zooming up at full speed then turning away at the last minute and kicking up spray. i felt like i was in danger the whole time until he lost interest several minutes later. it did not surprise me when one was playing games with a big tour boat here and ended up colliding with the steel hull .. instant death to the jet skier but no damage done to the tour boat.

If not for the risk takers we would probably still be living in caves.

If it moves someone will push it beyond it's intended limits, and/or purposes.

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51   #52

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

got my license when I was 18 (never, never give a pilots license to an 18 year old). we used to sneak up on water skiers on a local lake just to watch them fall from the double take. for some reason that was funny to us...
im the first to flip-off idiot jet skis, hilos, snowboarders etc. but a couple of times a year my boat shed gets buzzed by a p51, sea fury, me109, b25 and the like coming to a local air show and I always smile. and several times a month this guy swings by...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
He got buzzed by a P-51 with an air show thrown in for free! How F-ing cool is that!
I'd track the pilot down and buy him a drink.

I once got buzzed by a B-52 in the middle of Biscayne Bay. It was wonderful!

If it was in Biscayne Bay, that must of been you and a couple of hundred of your best sailing buddies.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I was the operator of one of the local rural airports for a few years. Sometimes people would call to complain about low flying aircraft. We would sound concerned on the phone and say that we would deal with the offending pilot. Ha ha! I can assure no one called the FAA.
It's the plane and pilot that are in danger from a buzz job, not the guy standing on the ground.
That's like the famous politians' saying:

"I'll look into it and get back to you".
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44   #55

Boat: Skookum 53'

I love WWII birds, especially the fighter planes. I always wondered if you could build a 2/3 size replica with the full sized engine and get anywhere near 1000 knots with a P-51. I don't suppose the airframe would stand the strain. I am not a pilot and really don't know if it would make sense.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45   #56

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;1559864]Flyovers take no great skill and are of no great risk. Why all the fuss

There are "flyovers" and there are buzz jobs. Unless you are Ace the cropduster pilot and do it all day and night long, I can assure you that there is a very real danger of hitting the ground or water when doing a decent buzz job.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:46   #57

Boat: Skookum 53'

http://www.claydonreeves.com/portfolio-item/aeroboat/
This boat uses the same Rolls engine as the P-51. I wish it were actually built, if I were rich I would have one.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52   #58

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I love WWII birds, especially the fighter planes. I always wondered if you could build a 2/3 size replica with the full sized engine and get anywhere near 1000 knots with a P-51. I don't suppose the airframe would stand the strain. I am not a pilot and really don't know if it would make sense.
1000 kts is well above the sound barrier which means totally different stresses and flight surface capabilities. Definitely a no go.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Actually what drove the size of WWII fighter airplanes was that was the biggest engine possible, in the smallest airframe possible and still be able to carry a pilot, fuel and weapons.
The size difference between the ME-109 and the Corsair was purely due to the engine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
You can't break the sound barrier with the designs of the WWII fighter planes. Compressibility factors, etc with breaking the sound barrier make it impossible. There were claims that some did in a dive but they have been disproven. The Lockheed P38 is the one I'm familiar with. What was thought to be indications of exceeding the sound barrier were actually the airframe deforming under the pressure causing severe control issues. The propellors themselves make it almost impossible to break the sound barrier. Stick to building a copy of the ME 262 if you want to go fast. FWIW, somebody did just that powering it with modern turbine engines. STORMBIRDS presents the Me 262 Project
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote