Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 05:16   #76

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Sad rant about suddenly losing my slip :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Side note as to the wifi: I have a wifi antenna, when I plug it in I can see a huge list of networks since we're surrounded by apartments. None of them is open tho. The amount of data and speed I need to work rules out using my phone, sadly. Not impossible, but it would cost me about what I make

Many of the newer routers will support two wireless networks simultaneously, one in the 2.4 range and one in the 5-Ghz range. Maybe approach the folks with the nearest/strongest signal and ask about "renting" their "other" network... which could be secured with your password.

"Rent" could turn out to be as simple as a bottle of wine every month, etc.

Given that you've paid for wired internet, and the marina is taking that away from you... they should at least be giving you a refund of that portion, should it come to that.

-Chris
Old 29-03-2016, 05:23   #77

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
"Rent" could turn out to be as simple as a bottle of wine every month, etc.
Yes, we're looking for a "liveaboard friendly" landlubber willing to do just that. Most people living around the marina don't really want us here; but -at least for now- the municipality (hope that's the right word) allows liveaboards in this marina. And only this one (there are several marinas in the area).

I guess they figured they can't stop people living on their boats, and at least now, they know where we are ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
they should at least be giving you a refund of that portion, should it come to that.
They already said no to that too
Old 29-03-2016, 05:24   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Do your neighbors that do not have to move live aboard?
Something is different between you and them, I don't know, maybe newer "prettier" boats, or they don't live aboard or something.
Sounds to me like they are trying to change the Marina's look, and you don't fit that look for some reason.
Not being there this is just a guess, so don't put too much into it, I am likely wrong of course. I'm thousands of miles away how could I really know, It's a guess is all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:28   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Something is different between you and them, I don't know, maybe newer "prettier" boats, or they don't live aboard or something.
We were thinking the exact same thing. Two are liveaboards, the others aren't. Those 2 are one canal boat and one sailboat. The only difference we can think of is that I'm the smallest of the 3.
And there's a Lagoon, he was allowed to stay but he's leaving the marina anyway since he'll have to pay for 2 slips now, instead of length x width which makes it way too expensive for him. We had 2 cats, both are leaving this week.

Other boats that were moved are less then 8m (I'm 9) but those owners probably don't care - they were rarely here. Boats just sat there.

But it could be as simple as someone they value more requesting this slip. That's happened before ...
Old 29-03-2016, 05:39   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I understand you have obligations and have to see them through, I have the same and it's why I haven't left yet. But soon, there is light in the tunnel
But happiness is I've found is not having your life controlled by others, unlikely to be able to be completely free of others influence of course, but I'm looking forward to if I don't like a place or things change etc., I just leave and go somewhere else
Old 29-03-2016, 05:48   #81

Quote:
but I'm looking forward to if I don't like a place or things change etc., I just leave and go somewhere else
Oh yes, me too!

To be honest, when I moved onto the boat, I didn't think it would be so incredibly hard to find a marina.

A bunch of is is spending the next couple of months looking for "don't ask, don't tell" marinas that will at least have water & showers open during winter, and have at least some sort of little supermarket or shop in the vicinity.

We'll need permission from the owner to live aboard -- you can more or less hide that fact during high season, but during the winter, people tend to notice.
And they always notice me, single women on a boat aren't common so no matter how much I try to not be noticed -- people notice me. Meh
Old 29-03-2016, 05:55   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Dock,
I see your point, but there are a lot of Crooks in the system, Crooks follow the money of course, and my short stint in Business has shown me what I always thought, that a large portion of "Businessmen" are liars and thieves.
Funny to hear them remark, "its just business" as that makes lieing, cheating and stealing all OK I guess.
It has left a very bad taste in my mouth, I used to have pride in my work, not anymore, now I want out as I'm no Crook and do not like being associated with them.

Now of course not all are Crooks, but on this side of the pond at least it seems many are, and one rotten apple is all it takes, seems the Crooks are the more successful ones.

Marina I'm in will go that way, we all know it. Original plan was for a nice park to be built on the shoreside of the Marina, there were plans drawn, detailed plans detailing sidewalks, statues etc.
Then the State Deeded the land to the city, suddenly the plans for the park disappeared and the meetings with the developers began.
Now I didn't live there so this is all rumor, but the last time this happened it was at the other City Marina, St Andrews, and the Mayor ended up with the Penthouse in the big Condos that got built.
I completely agree with you. The business world is full of scum.

Yet where would we be without the honest people in business?

Communism has been pretty well shown to not work.

Lizzie, sorry for the drift. We're pulling for you and hope to hear some good news in the end.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:35   #83

On Lizzie's GE photo I count 100 boats.

If the average annual berthing charge were £5000 that would only be a gross income of half a million.

Not difficult to imagine more profitable uses for such a prime site.

In the UK at least the prime duty of directors is to manage a company for the benefit of its shareholders.
Not its customers, not the wider community - shareholders.
Shareholders put their own financial interests above all else.

That means directors will sail as close to illegality as possible to maximise profits and thereby keep their directorships.

Companies pay the best lawyers they can afford large sums to avoid being held to account for their sometimes outrageous behaviour.

Apologies if you think this is irrelevant to your situation, Lizzie, I do sincerely sympathise.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:36   #84

If they are claiming it's a length issue, can you play the game by adding a bow pulpit or davits to get you over the 11m minimum?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:25   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The issue I see with beating them at their own game is they own the playing field and make the rules.
You think your going to win?
Best I think to be as nice as possible, but be looking for something better. My guess is truth be known they had rather you leave, make a stink and you just give them an excuse to move you out.

The whole attitude towards live a boards is interesting to me, where I'm from its normal, has always been that way, in fact a Marina charges more for live aboards and makes more money from them, the rest of us see them as free Security and the person that just might save our boat while we are gone, securing lines, noticing it's sitting lower in the water than it should etc..
But as an example when I asked the Dockmaster in Clearwater how many live aboards they had, he was obviously insulted, and was very quick to tell me that they weren't that sort of Marina, they don't allow that sort of thing here.
Old 29-03-2016, 07:27   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here you were just the other day thinking its beginning to be spring and a beautiful time to be on a boat, and this stuff started.
Old 29-03-2016, 08:05   #87

Boat: Formosa 41

Good luck Lizzie.

My comment earlier that I would speak to my a lawyer and friend meant that I would get professional advice as to whether the contact is worth more than the paper it's printed on.

I nearly always get good legal advice. Then I proceed on a confident footing trying to do what is fair and equitable for all parties. I keep lawyers out of it. I don't use lawyers as weapons. Lawyers are expensive and in the end usually only the lawyers win.

I am blessed with a lawyer who believes in doing the right thing and taking my lumps if I have done wrong.

You said you informed the marina that you had a contract for the slip and didn't intend to move. I often take stands like this, but I'm less likely to unless I have a trusted professional opinion.

I see no real problem, though, with taking a stand without a professional opinion. Simple stay amiable, point out the wording in your contract that supports your position and ask them to point out language in the contract that supports their position.

Best of luck. I keep returning to this thread looking for a nice resolution in your favor.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:33   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
On Lizzie's GE photo I count 100 boats.
200 slip marina, and pretty full. Can't haul out here, so most boats stay during winter as well, not just the liveaboards.

Anyway, just received a short email from the harbor master, ignoring all my complaints but one.

He says he is looking for a better slip, but for now I have to go to the unwanted part cos there is nothing else available (there is plenty free ...). Knowing him, he's never going to find me another slip.

He's still saying it's a length issue, but now it's a 11m box. When they informed me it was a 13m box and up until Feb it was a 9m box ... Kinda hard to win when they can adjust box sizes like that

I'm trying to work with the little bit of room he left, "looking for another slip". So I'll help him look, cos there are plenty of free ones. The ones I suggested are "too small" he claims, eventho there are boats my size in there now.

I don't mind a temporary move, for a month or so, while the move everything around. But I want something in writing cos all he's doing now is make vague promises just so I'll move quietly.

For now, Ima take a little break, this cr*p is giving me a headache.
Old 29-03-2016, 08:45   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Good luck Lizzie.

My comment earlier that I would speak to my a lawyer and friend meant that I would get professional advice as to whether the contact is worth more than the paper it's printed on.

I nearly always get good legal advice. Then I proceed on a confident footing trying to do what is fair and equitable for all parties. I keep lawyers out of it. I don't use lawyers as weapons. Lawyers are expensive and in the end usually only the lawyers win....
Over the years, we have talked to quite a few lawyers regarding various issues. We have always asked how much they charged for their time and told them to send us a bill for their work. Never once did we get charged for the information we have been given and the information we were given was correct.

For these situations, we never got a lawyer involved but handled things ourselves. The lawyers gave us information that allowed us to move forward knowing the law and what options where available.

We have known some dishonest lawyers, developers, and real estate brokers but the vast MAJORITY of the people in those professions were good, honest people. In fact, the guy that built our house turned into a good friend.

It sounds like the OP is kinda screwed with the new management. There is a contract and what is in the contract should be followed but it seems like it is not. A lawyer can advise on how to proceed regarding the contract. It very well may not be worth the aggravation to push back against the company but I would be talking to a lawyer to get their advice. Since other people are in the same boat, pun intended, any expense from the lawyer can be divided among the various people.

When we lived in the city, there was situation going on in the city that was being covered up by the city. The situation was dangerous, ongoing and widespread but not a peep out of the city was heard. Then it happened to us and we found/figured out what was going on....

The wife called up one of the local news stations and they knew a good story when they heard one. City officials had to talk at that point and the situation was made known which solved the problem best as we could tell before someone was hurt or killed.

I don't have a clue how to really handle these issues overseas but things to consider. Sometimes it is better to bend with the wind than to try to face the storm and get blown on your fanny. "Fanny" meaning rear end not the UK definition.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 09:01   #90

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Enough clowning around. Get that little Dutch boy to pull his finger out of the dyke, there'll be marinas all over the Netherlands.

More practical advice from a goat.

(for real though, hoping for the best for you)

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote