Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 19:21   #286

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Me I'd prefer dry land
But only once the landlubbers have finished eating each other!

You are all very welcome to come to New Zealand.

My ancestors have a proud history of cannibalism!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:32   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Great idea especially since one of the larger sources of methane entering the atmosphere comes from the south end of a north bound cow. I want to see how they insert the hoses and pipes into the millions of such beasts to "mine" the methane. . .

apparently you have not been to a spencers novelty shop...this feat has been accomplished!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:35   #288

My ancestors have a proud history of cannibalism![/QUOTE]

Just call me the other white meat!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:39   #289

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The thing about end of the world predictions is this; they must me immediate. If I made my living predicting the planet's demise and I told everyone that the planet would end in say, 11 years, nobody would listen for about 10.5 years.
We all remember Y2k. Well, there were similar predictions about the year 1900 and even 1800. I remember reading about a group in 1800 that relieved themselves of their worldly possessions and camped out on some mountain top in white robes waiting for their lord's return. They got cold.

We are like a fungus on the surface of this planet. We will not be easy to get rid of.
Old 11-04-2011, 20:01   #290

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
The thing about end of the world predictions is this; they must me immediate. If I made my living predicting the planet's demise and I told everyone that the planet would end in say, 11 years, nobody would listen for about 10.5 years.
We all remember Y2k. Well, there were similar predictions about the year 1900 and even 1800. I remember reading about a group in 1800 that relieved themselves of their worldly possessions and camped out on some mountain top in white robes waiting for their lord's return. They got cold.

We are like a fungus on the surface of this planet. We will not be easy to get rid of.
For the record, Y2K had a basis in reality. There was a lot of computer code that was going to break if it wasn't fixed or replaced. The impact of that broken code was going to vary from minor to a serious problem. Industry spent a huge amount of time and money and basically solved the problem. It wasn't that it was a non event. It was a disaster averted.
Old 11-04-2011, 20:45   #291

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
For the record, Y2K had a basis in reality. There was a lot of computer code that was going to break if it wasn't fixed or replaced. The impact of that broken code was going to vary from minor to a serious problem. Industry spent a huge amount of time and money and basically solved the problem. It wasn't that it was a non event. It was a disaster averted.
Imho, that was why the stock market crashed in March of 2000.
Everyone was spending big bucks on computer systems to get the fix before Armeggedon. After running on intertia for 3 months, all of a sudden everyone realized they didn't need to buy any more computer stuff as everything was new. Companies and private citizens all said "Bye bye" to a lot of spending, and the dominos started falling.

Mae West
Old 11-04-2011, 23:21   #292

Boat: Haida 26

Does'nt matter, just raise the sails and go cruising anyway. End of the world just means you leave the dock for the last time. Let's set sail....
...Michael..
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28   #293

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70AMX View Post
In a shtf scenario people always think that means it is the end of the world, it wouldn’t necessarily happen that way....If the Euro or the USD collapses it would be tough for the people who use those now worthless currencies to buy anything from anyone....barter would have to suffice until the "New" currency is implemented...in the meantime life would be very hard for those without backup food and other supplies because new supplies would not be coming until months after we have a new currency in place and people trusted in its value (my estimate 6 -24 months of pain) Crime would be rampant and the cities might get really crazy with the have-nots stealing from the haves. We know from what happened with Katrina that the LEO’s were a good part of the problems, they were certainly not the protectors we thought they would be……It doesn’t sound like much fun to me.
Why not sail away to areas that are more stable?
What happens in third world countries that never did rely on foreign aid or tourism?
Nothing really changed for them except the loss of imports and exports…the poor are still poor and I can’t see too many reasons for them to start robbing strangers like me, their life hasn’t changed much……our lives did……
Local food and supplies are still available as long as you have a currency that they would accept…. So you can be prepared with a currency that is universal in nature and accepted everywhere…. G and S
I think that the biggest risk to the western world is currency collapse….surely we can live thru that….Nuclear war, asteroids, alien invasions or Zombies are another thing……
FWIW I much agree with you.

While a sailboat does not solve every problem, it solves some better than any other. And it does provide a lot of flexibility.

For those of us living in a center city location it can be particularly attractive. Currency collapse is possible. But it is not the only thing that can make a city unlivable. Just inflation reducing the unemployment/welfare benefits more than they are, or their cessation could create dangerous riots. Nor do you have to sail off to the hinterlands. Sometimes it is just enough to be away for a couple of weeks until order is restored.

In our case we do have an international family and thus places to go with ties. But others are not so fortunate.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:42   #294
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Big enough to be livable on and small enough to be below the desirablity the rest of you guys are aspiring to.....
I wanna be way down on the 'Target Factor'....
Old 12-04-2011, 04:51   #295
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... I wanna be way down on the 'Target Factor'....
Great strategy. Have nothing to steal.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:04   #296
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailboat for End of The World Getaway (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Great strategy. Have nothing to steal.
Nope... just better camouflage.....
Who ya gonna mug... the guy with flip flops or the dude in 'Gucci'....
Many plan on 'Wants'... I plan by 'Needs'...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:26   #297

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

This is a difficult decision ... how much time do I have?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57   #298

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Rule # 4 in Zombie land always wear your seat belt. How do I install seat belts on my boat? Do I have to install them down below or just in the cockpit?

Right On Boatman. Don't have anything you got nothing anyone wants. Simplistic living is all we need. Learn to forage and you'll be better off then most. That doesn't mean in the parking lot at the local super market but an Island in the south pacific. From what I hear Palm crab simmered in coconut milk is really good. And all you need to do is get to the islands to grab the crab and scale the tree. Mangos, Bananas, Papaya etc grow wild in the jungle there. Lots to eat and given freely if you want to live there for a while. Let's see live on a Boat near an Island in Paradise. Yup! Can't do that it would be to hard to endure.
Brazil still has a lot of resources and jungle fruit for the taking. Just leave your ideas of more for me it's all mine at the jungles edge before entering. that's the attitude that got us where we are.

The problem is everyone thinks of this as a Doomsday scenario. It isn't it's a economic collapse not a meteor from space. They tend to last 15 years at the most and then the rebuilding is done. It will take some time but we still have horses to pull a plow and lots of seed in the arctic to plant when the oil runs out. We will be fine after a while. It's getting through the hard times that's the problem. What will you do when your Latte costs 30.00 USD and you have rent to pay?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07   #299

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

Of course, if there was a catastrophic breakdown of our economy and way of life, nobody will be able to get their Lipitor and beta blockers, etc. Expect a massive die-off of baby boomers within the first year.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:10   #300
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Juuuus playing devils advocate for a moment in this sail away from disater thread. I'm curious how friendly the boating community will still be when ones smaller starving 32 footer watches a better outfitted 42 footer sail by.
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat