Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2010, 12:58   #91

Boat: a sailing boat
Let me grab this opportunity and express my thanks to all posters here.

I made a spread-sheet with all your advice and had it run thru my employer's computer (I work for the Defense Dept.). It came out with this choice (picture attached) and I just went on their website and ordered mine. It has just arrived!

BTW Man, I always thought it takes a Ferrari to impress girls but now I know a cute boat can go a long way too!!!

Cheers,
barnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mssurvivar.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	15756  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26   #92

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
LOL
So many commets came to mind...........
Old 01-05-2010, 14:04   #93

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Ah yes, the "Torpedo Lifeboat" with it's exclusive condom shaped protective covering. Remember, "Practice safe sailing!".
Old 01-05-2010, 16:01   #94

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
The Sh*t may have indeed hit the fan.
Take a look at this:

Oil spill ( a far darker side ) - SailNet Community

Mae West
Old 02-05-2010, 17:53   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Sounds kinda implauable, but hell who knows? I would never think I could get 17 guys to hijack four planes for one mission. That sounds pretty implausible too.

Or that some of our biggest financial institutions, the guys with the MBA's and button down suits, would make 2nd grade dumb decisions and nearly wreck the world economy. That sounds pretty implausible too.

From my perspective I think we now live in a world that is so complicated and so interdependent that it is inevitable that something will cause a massive disruption. Think space shuttle level disruption. Kaplooie.

Will a bug out boat help? Who knows, maybe. It is one more tool in the survival kit. A pretty fun one at that.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28   #96
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMermaid View Post
This thread reminds me of Waterworld.
Any way you slice, or dice it - Earth will never be a utopia. It's good to have dreams, and to work toward achieving them, but - it's important too to live each moment (in the moment) to it's fullest.
For me that means a healthy relationship with Jesus Christ.

that's kind of a contradiction isn't it? First off when I sail out for the day and noone is around me its a total utopia. Secondly the idea of having a healthy relationship with an invisible (be it nonexistent or just non responsive) sky daddy is a kind of lunacy. In my opinion people put too much value on tradition and blind faith.Maybe its time to just live your life. Not trying to be rude I know you jesus people get bent out of shape when someone challenges the ideology. I am not looking to go to war just stating my opinion thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29   #97

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Fair is fair and if one posts one's viewpoint then another is entitled to a single response - if you can't take it back then don't put it out there.
- - But back to the original question of the value of a sailboat to escape some man-made or Mother Nature generated event has been discussed ad nauseum. In general being, living or traveling away from potential "hot spots" be they political or volcanic is a good strategy.
- - However, the speed at which sailboats move is not going to be of much use in a "fast getaway" situation. Getting "lost" up the creek or swamp away from the crazies works in a sailboat (draft permitting) as does just plain sailing over the horizon away from the "lunatic asylums" known various 1st world countries.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59   #98
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Fair is fair and if one posts one's viewpoint then another is entitled to a single response - if you can't take it back then don't put it out there.
- - But back to the original question of the value of a sailboat to escape some man-made or Mother Nature generated event has been discussed ad nauseum. In general being, living or traveling away from potential "hot spots" be they political or volcanic is a good strategy.
- - However, the speed at which sailboats move is not going to be of much use in a "fast getaway" situation. Getting "lost" up the creek or swamp away from the crazies works in a sailboat (draft permitting) as does just plain sailing over the horizon away from the "lunatic asylums" known various 1st world countries.
I hear you, honestly I find it more and more difficult to find people that are sane. I mean my version of sane of course. So that is one of my main motivations to sail away forever, that and the whole earth thing being kinda cool to look at and admire.
It wouldn't matter much about how crazy people got on dry land if you were floating around in the middle of the ocean. Seriously doubt they would nuke the ocean with no perceived people in it.And if you have a radar system you just turn it on to find the storms and sail away before they get there.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Over the weekend I found some others talking about "nuking" the oil well. I seems the Russians have done it 4 times in the past to quench land based blowouts.

I still think the North Korean conspiracy theory is wacky but there may be something to the nuke part.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I mean my version of sane of course.
Ah -- there's the hard part!
Old 13-10-2010, 17:51   #101

For the original question -when it hits the fan- the answer depands on very different scenarios, such as :

1. I live in Istanbul and we had a major earth quake back in 2000. Even people with solid homes slept in their cars just because of fear. At that point, having a boat, caravan or a tent was a huge relief.

2. If I'm going to spend the rest of my life on sea like on the movie Waterworld, than a 60-70 foot boat would be great. Please don't start with handling issues and so on, you'll spend the rest of your life on it without stepping on solid ground ever!

3. If you're planning to mock the idea of minimum 60-70 foot boat idea because of economical reasons, well, when it comes to it, we'll probably need to steal one from the marina (our's would be stolen by another jackass already), so no economical concerns there!

Last but not least, it's such a relief to see that I'm not the only one who's ever thought of this!!!

Best wishes to all;
M.
Old 13-10-2010, 18:16   #102

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Everything fine, 20/40/60 ft is not that much different except for storage and things take longer to do. But the idea of not stepping on land is pure Hollywood. Fresh water, vegetables, wood and fuel all require visits on shore to obtain. Additionally you will need to "hide" from storms and other predators up creeks and rivers occasionally.
Old 13-10-2010, 18:32   #103

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Any boat is nothing more than a sitting duck.
Old 13-10-2010, 20:00   #104

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Any boat is nothing more than a sitting duck.
Paint it gray? Use carbon fiber instead of radar-reflecting metal? Buy a bunch of stinger missles?

That's a good point. I think I'd rather have one around to jump onto though. Plus it makes fishing a lot more easier.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
Old 14-10-2010, 06:30   #105

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
There are shades of disaster...If "The Big One" comes..We;re pretty much all screwed...
Buuutttt...What if the far right nut job whackos eventually convince us (Americans) to vote ourselves a dictatorial theocracy? Or October 1929 comes along again with a severe drought to boot? A smart well off guy that year would have some hard currency stashed, and a way out...Quite a few did...
Illegal to own gold in this country..there are all sorts of conspiracy theories to go with that one...some are a bit out there..but he who trusts his government implictly is riding for a fall.
I don't really get the Survivalist movement...I guess everyone needs a hobby..but there is nothing wrong with being prepared for hard times..

This thread has the potential for some hilarity...but it seems there are a bunch of level headee types here..I'd like to se this one transplanted to some other boards I've read...<G>

Tags
sailboat