Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 07:41   #61

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Sailing During an Electrical Storm

My son and I were off Islamorada, Florida Keys and whilst anchoring in the middle of a storm were both shocked. Felt like our fingers touched an outlet. How far does the lightening strike have to be to have this effect?
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 08:29   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
My son and I were off Islamorada, Florida Keys and whilst anchoring in the middle of a storm were both shocked. Felt like our fingers touched an outlet. How far does the lightening strike have to be to have this effect?

I don't think that question is even answerable, I don't believe there even has to be a strike, if Ben Franklin was stuck, I guess he would have still discovered electricity, just we wouldn't have known it?

I don't mean that as a sarcastic answer, just the more I learn about Lightning, the more I learn there are no or at least very few rules, you can be standing under a clear blue sky and be struck.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:55   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The military uses ten miles in front of a storm (existing lightning, rain) as a standard of safety for closing down air fields and training. That's when the lightning is so far away that there is 50 seconds between the bolt and the boom. Lightning has been known to precede a storm by 10 miles. As for getting shocked without being part of the bolt, it has happened to me, too - shocked through the hands while holding a grounded helm, with the bolt hitting the water perhaps a mile away. My impression is 1. The electromagnetic field is a lot bigger than the bolt, and 2. Mr. Franklin was quite fortunate not to have become a crispy critter.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 20:10   #64

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

My respect for lightning has increased. 10 miles! Through water. Incredible. It was quite an experience. Thanks.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, sail, sailing