Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 19:22   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It would be a challenge to fully cover drinking in the first class and still do any sailing ...
we had the same problem when I took sailing merit badge.
Old 13-09-2010, 06:34   #17

What I found interesting were the drinking and "driving" rules. They seem to be the same as if you're in a car..for the most part. Although it's only the helmsman who can't blow an alcohol level above...er..I forget. Anyway, everyone else can be stone drunk with open containers rattling everywhere, but the helmsman has to be sober. Makes sense to me...however, I gotta tell you, some of the powerboats I've seen...I'm thinking this alcohol law only applies to sailboats!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 09:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
A lot of captains have a rule that basically says when the anchor goes down then the drinks come up. I depend a lot on my crew-except when they are all seasick
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 06:01   #19

Sailing lessons, day 2

Ok, day 2 is under my belt. Here was the forecast for Lake St Clair for this past Sunday:

TODAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KNOTS
OR LESS. MOSTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY DURING THE AFTERNOON.
A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS...ENDING AROUND 2 PM. WAVES 1 TO 2 FEET.

It was bee-u-tee-full out! Perfect day, although they weren't kidding about the becoming variable 10 knots or less. It was more less rather than less more...or something like that! Anyway, this sailing thing is AWESOME! I want my own boat so bad I can taste it! And it tastes a bit like seagull..weird. So, day 2...my buddy and I got to unzip, untie, unhook and unfasten everything that needed to be while at the dock. Once we were ready, we cast off and our instructor took us out onto the lake. We switched on and off to practice coming about and jibing, and we also got to practice our hard stops and figure eights for man overboard practice...it was fun! We got to do an almost "real life" man overboard practice when our instructors hat blew over the side. He just said darn..oh well, but the rest of yelled, MAN OVERBOARD and we were able to do a hard stop and rescue his hat! I think he got a kick out of that! We spent most of the day just tooling around on the water, even though the wind was sometimes nil...it was still fun. About 6 hours later, the wind was close to non-existent, so we headed in to do our book work and take our written test. I managed to get just 1 wrong..a 99% WAHOOOO! Weird thing is, I think I like handling the sails more than being at the helm. Fun stuff! 1 bad thing came out of this though. My buddy did some research and he told me that boat loans, are a lot like house loans...you can get them for 15 to 20 years.. HOLY CRAP!! That means I can actually afford a boat!! Oh oh...I think I hear my significant other coming....ixnay on the boatnay...

Well everyone! I have to admit...sailing is a blast! I love being on the water with only the wind moving me...I love the sound of everything! The waves, the water, the wind, the noise of the sails and the vibrating of the shrouds...I could definitely get used to this way of life....

Hope to see you soon...

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 06:15   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The key now is to find a boat to rent and get more time on the water.

Congratulations and well done!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:19   #21

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
See you on the water then!

And there are lots of ways to get out on the water and hang out with sailors; time on the water is good whether it comes from your own boat, renting or chartering, joining a community sailing program or club, or crewing on other people's boats.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 12:54   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
It should be ixnay on the oatbay. The nautical terms will come to you later.
Congratulations and well done!
kind regards,

Tags
sailing lessons