Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 08:34   #16

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Re: Sailing questions from a novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
and just a thought: sailors love to read stories about ships and boats and adventures and storms, but, please know, for us, authenticity is fundamental. it is a total turn-off for us when the info is wrong, when it doesn't happen that way.

for this reason, i suggest that you ask a seasoned and knowledgeable sailor (lots here on CF!) to look over your transcript and make the needed changes.

hope this helps

wolfie
This is the most important part and the more technical you get, the more difficult it is.

Now, is there anyone other than me who wants to know the name of the boat in your novel so I don't book passage with them any time soon? Or, for that matter, ever?
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

First assuming an HR is disabled is a stretch. I have moved a few and they are built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

HR44’s have electric winches to drive the roller furling and I believe a deck hatch over the owners berth aft.

Suggest the owner is 200nm west of Azores becalmed and low on fuel (been there, done that). He has been sitting rocking for a few days and goes below to sleep in cabin with hatch open. Since he is not operating under license, he could have a drink or 5.

Large wave (breaching whale?) sends a wall of water that floods into aft hatch and floods batteries shorting them out.

No batteries means he could only sail using manual by-passes on winches. But after pumping out water and taking other actions to make boat seaworthy.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:59   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

And also.....the suggestions to watch the Redford movie "All is lost". Watch it for how not to be authentic. There's plenty of criticism about details and fantastical feats that don't match reality in that film. Read criticisms here and on other sailing forums.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I'm with Boatie. +1

Oftentimes, bad weather [...]
Wow, thanks for all the detail and the movie recommendations. I never heard of the Redford film, but I think "Adrift" is where her partner turns out to be a ghost at the end? Definitely good references to check out.

I truly appreciate all the advice and responses on this forum. Very welcoming.
FantasyIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:36   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

Spoken like novice novelist
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:40   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Two rudders means the steering is somewhat complicated.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hallberg-rassy-44

Here is the instruction manual.

https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/filea...Manual-Eng.PDF

Quote:
Warning!
When going astern, please make sure you are holding the wheel or tiller firmly with your hands! The rudder will give a huge kick to the wheel/tiller when going astern and if you do not hold the wheel or tiller well, damages will occur to the steering system.
See section on steering.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:58   #22

Wink Re: Sailing questions from a novelist

Quote:
as far as masts go, there are masts (deck-stepped masts) that actually sit right on the top of the boat (on the cabin top) and are held in place by those wires that go down on each side (shrouds). those wires can be very dangerous as they come down and swing around with the weight of the mast. someone could get very hurt, thrown overboard, lose a member, or killed.

if the seas are up, most will not try to recuperate a heavy, dragging mast that has fallen overboard, sometimes the shrouds must be cut quickly so to regain control of the boat. i've only seen one boat dismasted in the real: a deck-stepped kind that went overboard very quickly and thereafter recuperated
Good points. The boat I have in mind is a Hallberg-Rassy 44, which seems to have a deck-stepped mast, but I could be wrong. I've read that HR generally has a preference for deck-stepped masts for practical and aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
and just a thought: sailors love to read stories about ships and boats and adventures and storms, but, please know, for us, authenticity is fundamental. it is a total turn-off for us when the info is wrong, when it doesn't happen that way.

for this reason, i suggest that you ask a seasoned and knowledgeable sailor (lots here on CF!) to look over your transcript and make the needed changes.
Definitely. I try to research the hell out of things I'm unfamiliar with before writing about them. (So y'all will likely see more questions from me soon ) I think most readers appreciate a sense of authenticity, even if they're unfamiliar with the subject. We all hope that a writer knows what he or she is talking about. But there's a threshold: how much detail should be given without boring the non-sailor readers? That's the trick of it, and I've found knowing more than I need to know and understanding as much as possible is key to knowing what to include and (especially) what to leave out.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's funny.. When I sailed NC to UK I went over the top of Bermuda to the Azores then NE to the UK.
But, didn't the Carolinians call you "wrong-way Phil"?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockborn View Post
Spoken like novice novelist
Meaning...?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's funny.. When I sailed NC to UK I went over the top of Bermuda to the Azores then NE to the UK.
Boatie! You are a pain in the patootie!

Lest we forget, you are a Delivery Skipper! You sail anywhere, anytime - even in the "wrong" direction.

Stop being such a contrarian for entertainment value. Fantasylsland is attempting to accumulate some useful info to write something close-to-authentic.

Although, Fantasy, that might be the set-up for your storm or mishap... that they chose to sail Bermuda to Azores off-season...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14   #26

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
We seriously thought this movie was a dark comedy, kind of like Fargo. We laughed all the way through it. And the ending was hilarious! I mean, who would do that? lol The other people in the theater kept looking back at us like we were being rude. Our sincere apologies, but the harder we tried to not laugh, the funnier it became.

If it wasn't meant to be a comedy, the writer did a great job of making everything unbelievable and the captain a complete idiot with poor decision making skills. Or perhaps it was supposed to be a subtle suicide mission? If so, the poor chap couldn't even get that right.

Watch it again from a comedy perspective. It's pretty funny!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:16   #27

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyIsland View Post
Meaning...?
Write what you know.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:18   #28

Indeed. This isn't my first stop, folks. Why Bermuda to the Azores? This came recommended from other sources:

Quote:
According to Cornell, as early as March and as late as mid-May there are reasonable chances of favourable south-easterly and south-westerly winds on leaving the Eastern Caribbean. The advice he offers is to track north-easterly towards the Azores and stay south of 30°N until 40°W.
Tortola in the British Virgin Islands or St Maarten are the most popular starting points – they are well positioned and good for provisioning, spares and repairs. But many crews make an intermediate stop in Bermuda [...]
Also...

Quote:
Someone who has probably the most comprehensive overview of North Atlantic weather over 25 years is former SSB radio net controller and weather forecaster Herb Hilgenberg who, until he retired in 2013, operated a free forecasting and routeing service to cruisers as Southbound II.
The theory is that the low pressure systems tend to lie further south earlier in the season and if you go north you end up north of the Azores in headwinds. The more you move towards summer, the further north the lows lie and the bigger the Azores High so that you get lighter winds as you make your way towards the Azores. In July, some people might even be able to head straight to the UK.
For that reason, Hilgenberg says the best time to leave the Caribbean or Bermuda is May or June “or even early July if there are no developing tropical waves or hurricanes”.
Larger yachts and those with bigger crews may wish to go further north for a faster crossing – see the range of tracks taken by ARC Europe yachts (above). Bear in mind the average boat size on the rally was 47ft.
Hilgenberg tends to be cautious. “I advocate the southerly route to the Azores. I recommend that boats head east and stay south of 35°N until I see that nothing significant is developing,” he says. “You can stay at 32-33°N until a few days out from the Azores and then head north. I would not go north of the area north of 35°N or west of 45°W until June.”
Old 05-04-2021, 05:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing questions from a novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
But, didn't the Carolinians call you "wrong-way Phil"?
No.. It was turn around Phil..
1st time Bad fuel led to no engine so had to sail back up the ditch to Oriental..
2nd time picked up sunken mooring when leaving Taylor's Creek led to bent prop shaft and need to sail up the ditch a second time to the yard to be lifted out so I could fit a new prop shaft.. takes ages to cut stainless steel with a Junior hacksaw blade..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Write what you know.
Ah. An odd bit of cliched advice for lazy writers, ultimately limiting and unimaginative.

Better advice: expand what you know to write what you want.

(You can thank me when you've tried it. )

Tags
sail, sailing