Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 18:38   #2821
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Science & Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Because I can and do comprehend the actual meaning of words and can synthesize concepts to perform a rational analysis, something that, it seems from your ranting and ravings, you are unable to do, or at least do effectively.

'Transmitting' any 'thing', let alone a life-form even as primitive as a virus, via electromagnetic waves is the height of science fiction, 'only seen on TV', something of which you should perhaps curtail your consumption...
A virus is not a life form.
Quote:
Viruses are not living things. Viruses are complicated assemblies of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates, but on their own they can do nothing until they enter a living cell. Without cells, viruses would not be able to multiply. Therefore, viruses are not living things.https://www.virology.ws/2004/06/09/are-viruses-living/
Old 30-09-2021, 20:24   #2822

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
So true, but on the other side - humans (and all animals) are viruses too, more complex for sure. We cannot live without other organisms, be it plants or animals we eat or bacteria in our digestion system we live in symbiosis. We cannot survive on anorganic stuff like rocks, CO2 and light alone. Only plants with chlorophyl can use directly solar energy and anorganic matter to synthetise proteins besides some extremophile bacteria near volcanoes, that use chemical energy.
Old 30-09-2021, 20:38   #2823

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
No, I look at the information and its source and investigate the source. Invariably I find twisted "facts" supplied by people with an agenda that does not benefit society.

You should try that.

You might find that virtually all of the conspiracy theories are unsupportable.
That is because they are made up by professional agitators and media experts to ridicule them. In fact there is more truth behind those so called conspiracies, than you think, but then the media twists them and spices them up with some alu hats, 5G and other ******** to camoflage and twist the truth and make you believe everything is made up.

Look how many scientists with nobel prices and peer reviewed publications in the past resist vaccinations, are censored and silenced. Look how many front line health care workers deny vaccinations, despite they worked 2 years in a highly dangerous contagious environment and even prefer to be fired than inocculated. They are deemed deplorable now, after the pandemic has settled.
Old 30-09-2021, 20:58   #2824
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I am a tertiary vegan
Plants eat carbon and sunlight , cows eat plants and I eat cows.
Old 30-09-2021, 21:05   #2825

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Look how many scientists with nobel prices and peer reviewed publications in the past resist vaccinations, are censored and silenced. Look how many front line health care workers deny vaccinations, despite they worked 2 years in a highly dangerous contagious environment and even prefer to be fired than inocculated. They are deemed deplorable now, after the pandemic has settled.
Okay, tell me what percentage of Nobel prize winners are against vaccinations and tell me what percentage of front line health care workers refuse the vaccine. The numbers I've seen are tiny but, if you have a verifiable source, share it.
Old 30-09-2021, 22:18   #2826

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
How perfectly indicative of the 'disease' which seems to infect your thinking. Perhaps it was 'transmitted' to you via electromagnetic waves?

Vincent Racaniello is a respected-by-me virologist who I've been following since the start of the pandemic. That doesn't make his opinion about what 'life' is or is not a fact; if you were remotely aware of things scientific you'd know that there has been wide discussion and even heated debate on what should be considered 'life' or what it's definition should be for at least a couple of centuries.

Perhaps you should listen to what your chosen interlocutor says about vaccines as well;

"A year after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, multiple vaccines have been designed, manufactured and tested, a remarkable display of scientific and clinical ingenuity. Vaccines are a safe way to prevent viral infections and will end this pandemic."

Emphasis mine.

Or maybe, should you muster the attention span, watch and listen to this video of his, or at least the first 10 or so minutes.

Or, if you're really interested in the 'what is life' question, see what Racaniello says about it in later blog posts.

https://www.virology.ws/2010/07/22/t...nd-the-virion/
https://www.virology.ws/2014/03/14/c...us-be-revived/

THe comments for both should be reviewed for a more objective view of the subject.

All of which is beside the point, Physical 'things' are not physically 'transmittable' via electromagnetic radiation. and your transparent attempt to steer us away from the ridiculousness of your claim that they can by changing the subject only confirms the general disingenuousness of many of your opinions.
Old 30-09-2021, 22:47   #2827
cruiser

Quote:
How perfectly indicative of the 'disease' which seems to infect your thinking. Perhaps it was 'transmitted' to you via electromagnetic waves?

Vincent Racaniello is a respected-by-me virologist who I've been following since the start of the pandemic. That doesn't make his opinion about what 'life' is or is not a fact; if you were remotely aware of things scientific you'd know that there has been wide discussion and even heated debate on what should be considered 'life' or what it's definition should be for at least a couple of centuries.

Perhaps you should listen to what your chosen interlocutor says about vaccines as well;

"A year after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, multiple vaccines have been designed, manufactured and tested, a remarkable display of scientific and clinical ingenuity. Vaccines are a safe way to prevent viral infections and will end this pandemic."

Emphasis mine.

Or maybe, should you muster the attention span, watch and listen to this video of his, or at least the first 10 or so minutes.

Or, if you're really interested in the 'what is life' question, see what Racaniello says about it in later blog posts.

THe comments for both should be reviewed for a more objective view of the subject.

All of which is beside the point, Physical 'things' are not physically 'transmittable' via electromagnetic radiation. and your transparent attempt to steer us away from the ridiculousness of your claim that they can by changing the subject only confirms the general disingenuousness of many of your opinions.
I will check it out. Please watch this one:
Old 30-09-2021, 23:07   #2828
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Emphasis mine.

One of the edicts of " life" is the organisms ability to self replicate.
A virus can not self replicate. Therefore a virus is not "life"
Old 01-10-2021, 00:41   #2829

Quote:
I will check it out. Please watch this one:
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch? ]
Why on earth would I watch a video about a virologist who promotes conspiracy theories and has actively worked to mislead the public on a wide range of topics, including the 'water memory' 'hypothesis' (that is clearly psuedoscience) and about which Montagnier's results have never been duplicated?

Because he won a Nobel prize for work he and others did 45 years ago?

Sorry, though I did watch some of the promotional video proffered, neither it nor Montagnier's susequent 'achievements' or lack thereof, convince me that his is an opinion that should be taken with any semblance of respect.

His 'water memory' idea is snake oil, and is easily refuted by a one word question. How? I.e., what produces these mnemonic electromagnetic emmanations? And how does the body, cell, whatever -- detect and make changes to accomodate them.

Easy -- it doesn't, because they ('MMEs') don't exist.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:07   #2830
cruiser

Quote:
Why on earth would I watch a video about a virologist who promotes conspiracy theories and has actively worked to mislead the public on a wide range of topics, including the 'water memory' 'hypothesis' (that is clearly psuedoscience) and about which Montagnier's results have never been duplicated?

Because he won a Nobel prize for work he and others did 45 years ago?

Sorry, though I did watch some of the promotional video proffered, neither it nor Montagnier's susequent 'achievements' or lack thereof, convince me that his is an opinion that should be taken with any semblance of respect.

His 'water memory' idea is snake oil, and is easily refuted by a one word question. How? I.e., what produces these mnemonic electromagnetic emmanations? And how does the body, cell, whatever -- detect and make changes to accomodate them.

Easy -- it doesn't, because they ('MMEs') don't exist.
I see how you are (closed minded).
Here is one with your Vincent Racaniello interviewing his buddy Peter Daszak who is probably responsible for this mess:
Old 01-10-2021, 05:22   #2831
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Merck and Ridgeback’s Investigational Oral Antiviral Molnupiravir Reduced the Risk of Hospitalization or Death by Approximately 50 Percent Compared to Placebo for Patients with Mild or Moderate COVID-19 in Positive Interim Analysis of Phase 3 Study

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-and...ild-or-moderat

An experimental drug prevented half of COVID-19 infections that would otherwise have sent people to the hospital

The antiviral drug molnupiravir, made by Merck & Co. and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, of Miami, was given to 385 people within five days of their diagnosis with COVID-19. Another 377 volunteers who tested positive were given a placebo.

Molnupiravir, originally created by researchers at Emory University in Atlanta, is given as four pills taken twice a day for five days.

Of the participants who received molnupiravir, 28 [or 7.3%] were hospitalized during the month-long trial. In the placebo group, 53 people [or 14%] were hospitalized, and 8 of them died.

The study was supposed to enroll another 750 participants, but an independent monitoring board decided the drug was so effective. it would be unethical to continue giving anyone a placebo.

The drug was effective against viral variants Gamma, Delta, and Mu, the study found.

More ➥ https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...dy-2021-10-01/

And ➥ https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ts-2021-09-29/

Old 01-10-2021, 05:26   #2832

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

https://youtu.be/uQM_03zuSAI inside hurricane Sam taken from a drone ship.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:23   #2833

Quote:
...I see how you are (closed minded)...
No, you don't.

In case you don't remember, you were the one who brought Racaniello into this, so he's actually your guy.

When he starts spouting psuedo scientific BS, I'll denounce his view as easily as I do Montagnier's.

So answer the questions

"His 'water memory' idea is snake oil, and is easily refuted by a one word question. How? I.e., what produces these mnemonic electromagnetic emmanations? And how does the body, cell, whatever -- detect and make changes to accomodate them[?]"

because they sure as hell aren't answered in the sales video you suggested.

An 'open' mind is not achieved by believing everything one encounters, as you appear to think it is, but by how one winnows the rare grains of truth from the vast clouds of manipulative, often economically predatory chaff swirling around us all, in a hurricane of misinformation and deceit.

Belief is glamorous, seductive and easy, not least of all because it often satisfies and/or rationalizes one's own opinions.

The pursuit of objective knowledge, and it's intelligent usage after it's determination, on the other hand, is none of those things, (at least until one learns that the work required to discover it is part of the 'reward'), because it requires effort to acquire and often goes against one's conceptions.

You should try it someday...
Old 01-10-2021, 06:29   #2834
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
https://youtu.be/uQM_03zuSAI inside hurricane Sam taken from a drone ship.
Interesting video reminds me of all the typhoons I have driven through just not as rough as they were .
Old 01-10-2021, 06:41   #2835
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Interesting video reminds me of all the typhoons I have driven through just not as rough as they were .
With no scalar reference, in the “Sam” video, how can you possibly tell how “rough” it is/was.
How many super-typhoons [+130 knots, cat 4 or 5] have you driven through?

Closed Thread

Tags
enc