Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2021, 13:18   #3046

Re: Science & Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
As I already pointed (once again proving that you don't check my links), 96% out of a survey of 301.
https://www.ama-assn.org/system/file...ine-report.pdf
So you don't understand statistical analysis either. Gotta better survey to show us? You don't think the AMA has a handle on what their membership thinks? Are the AMA owned by Pfizer?

Telling that this lame quibble is the only thing you have to respond with.

C'mon, show us the numbers behind all your earlier claims.
Old 09-10-2021, 13:29   #3047
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So you don't understand statistical analysis either. Gotta better survey to show us? You don't think the AMA has a handle on what their membership thinks? Are the AMA owned by Pfizer?

Telling that this lame quibble is the only thing you have to respond with.

C'mon, show us the numbers behind all your earlier claims.
Is the AMA in bed with Big Pharma? I need to limit my screen time right now, I have real work to do. You tell me. Do some digging and see what you can find out. Let us know. I certainly will. We can have show and tell later. Until then.
Old 09-10-2021, 14:06   #3048
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Surely you don't want me to detail how the FDA is in bed with Pharma. The recent resignation of top FDA officials over approvals should speak volumes...
The burden of proof, for any factual claim, is on the speaker/claimant, and you haven't provided any such proof, that the FDA is in bed with Pharma, nor what the recent resignations should indicate/suggest.

The resignations of Marion Gruber, director of vaccines research and review at the FDA, and Phillip Krause, the deputy director, were announced Aug. 31 in a company-wide email from Peter Marks, the agency's top vaccine regulator.
The email did not mention the reason why the pair is leaving. FDA spokesperson Alison Hunt didn't elaborate on the reason behind the resignations, either.

The two officials may have resigned, due to a disagreement over the push for booster shots, from the Biden administration, according to reporting from The New York Times, and Politico. But, of course they're MSM conspirators, so ...

Old 09-10-2021, 16:45   #3049
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Are they our anointed saviours, that we should follow with messianic fervor, or [much more likely] a vanishingly small minority of medical quacks?

Indeed.
So why would 4% of those AMA surveyed mds not get vaxxed? What have they seen to not want to be? You guys want to silence them, take away their medical licenses, and shoot up 6 month old babies with dangerous experimental still not proven by any means to be safe substances. There is also a plethora of ex high profile political appointees signing on as reps and lobbyists for pharma. here is a recent list:
Quote:
Justin McCarthy, Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs under President George W. Bush
Brian Arthur Pomper, Chief International Trade Counsel to Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus
Bill Morley, General Counsel to Senator Arlen Specter
Remy Brim, Senior Health Policy Advisor to Senator Elizabeth Warren
Mark Mioduski, Democratic Clerk for the Committee on Appropriations in the U.S. House of Representatives
Brian Griffin, Senior Leadership Advisor and Floor Policy Director for Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Senator Byron Dorgan
Ben Howard, Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Director of Legislative Affairs under President Donald Trump
Kate Keating, Chief of Staff to Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus Congressman Joseph Crowley
David Schiappa, Secretary to Senate Republican Leaders
Lavita Legrys, Director at the Office of Legislative Affairs in the Department of Homeland Security under President Barack Obama
Mike Mckay, Senior Policy Advisor to Congressman Gregory Meeks
Cristina Antelo, Legal Fellow with the Senate Democratic Steering Committee
Tom Davis, former Congressman
Michael Werner, Policy Advisor to Senate Democrats Policy Committee
Daniel Elling, Staff Director for the House Committee on Ways and Means
Cookab Hashemi, Chief of Staff to Representative Raul Ruiz and Representative Jackie Speier
Robert Holifield, Staff Director of the Senate Agriculture Committee
Hannah Smith, Legislative Correspondent to Senator Blanche Lincoln
Blanche Lincoln, Former Senator and Congresswoman
Colin Roskey, Deputy Assistant Secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services under President Trump
Thomas Scully, Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services under President Bush.
Brian Diffell, Legislative Director to Senator Roy Blunt
Kelli Briggs, Chief of Staff to Representative Pat Tiberi
Anne Wilson, Legislative Director to Representative Anna G. Eshoo
Peter Wallace, Legislative Correspondent to Representative Ric Keller
Katharine Hayes, Legislative Correspondent to Representative Mark Schauer
Akshai Datta, Senior Legislative Assistant to Representative Ami Bera
Darrel Thompson, Deputy Chief of Staff for Intergovernmental and External Affairs to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid
Shanti Ochs Stanton, Floor Assistant to the Democratic Leaders Office
Natalie Farr, Chief of Staff to Senator Cory Gardner
Steven Elmendorf, Chief of Staff to House Democratic Leader Richard Gephardt
Steven Irizarry, Senior Counsel for Senate Special Committee on Aging
Stephen Northrup, Health Policy Advisor to Senator Michael Enzi
Jennifer Swenson, Deputy Legislative Director to Senator Pat Roberts
Catherine Robinson, Law Clerk on the Committee on Ways and Means
Emily Mueller, Deputy Legislative Director to Senator Pat Roberts
Stephen Claeys, Trade Counsel on the Committee on Ways and Means
Paula Burg, Director and Senior Advisor for Health and Entitlements on the Senate Budget Committee
Elissa Alben, Senior Counsel for International Trade and Competitiveness on the Senate Committee on Finance
Karissa Willhite, Deputy Chief of Staff to Senator Robert Menendez
Gordon Taylor, Chief of Staff to Representative Chris John
Tucker Shumack, Tax and Finance Counsel to Senator Olympia Snowe
Todd Novascone, Chief of Staff to Senator Jerry Moran
Jerome Murray, Chief of Staff to Representative Stacey Plaskett
Moses Mercado, Deputy Chief of Staff to Representative Richard Gephardt
Tim McGivern, Chief of Staff to Senator Jim Brownback
Chris Giblin, Chief of Staff to Representative John Carter
Tony Bullock, Chief of Staff to Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Dee Buchanan, Chief of Staff to House Republican Conference
Dean Aguillen, Advisor to Speaker Nancy Pelosi
Eden Shiferaw, Representative Marcia Fudge
Jane Loewenson, Senior Health Policy Advisor to Democratic Leader Tom Daschle
Andrea LaRue, Counsel to Democratic Leader Tom Daschle
Brady King, Chief of Staff to Congresswoman Kendra S. Horn
Joshua Fay Hurvitz, Legislative Director to Representative Anthony D. Weiner
Lisa German Foster, Senior Policy Advisor to Senator Jack Reed
Irene Bueno, Special Assistant to President Bill Clinton in the Domestic Policy Council and Chief of Staff’s Office
Ashley Gunn, Senior Director of Cabinet Affairs to President Trump
Monica Popp, Chief of Staff to Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn
Hazen Marshall, Policy Director to Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell
Christopher Wilcox, Staff Assistant to Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Marti Thomas, Assistant Secretary for Legislative Affairs under President Clinton
Karina Lynch, Legislative Director to Representative Scott McInnis
Cheryl Jager, Senior Health Policy Advisor for House Republican Leadership
Matthew Hoekstra, Legislative Director for Senator Ben Lujan
Susan Hirschmann, Chief of Staff to Representative Van Hilleary
Christopher Hatcher, Legislative Director to Representative Scott McInnis
Ann Marie Buerkle, Congresswoman
Shimon Stein, Senior Advisor to House Majority Leader/Republican Whip
Kristi Remington, Deputy Assistant Attorney General at the Department of Justice under President Obama
Malloy McDaniel, Policy Advisor to Senator Mitch McConnell
Craig Kalkut, Chief Counsel of Senate Antitrust Subcommittee
Ashley Davis, Special Assistant to Director of Homeland Security Tom Ridge under President Bush
Greg Nickerson, Tax Counsel to Representative Bill Thomas
Darren Willcox, Assistant to Speaker Dennis Hastert for Health Policy
Erin Strawn, Legislative Associate to Representative Joe Cunningham
Valerie Henry, Senior Policy Advisor to Congressman Greg Walden
James Derderian, Chief of Staff to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Carmencita Whonder, Advisor on the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee to Senator Chuck Schumer
Marc Lampkin, General Counsel for the House Republican Conference
Araceli Gutierrez, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Graduate Fellow
Emily Felder, Counsel to the House Energy and Commerce Committee
Nadeam Elshami, Chief of Staff to Representative Nancy Pelosi
Where is the debate? Where is the scientific discourse? It seems to be missing. Minds were made up to push an mRNA vaccine on 6 month old babies during the next pandemic. Straight out of Fauci's lips a few months before the Pandemic. It is on this CSpan video: [URL="https://www.c-span.org/video/?465845-1/universal-flu-vaccine"]https://www.c-span.org/video/?465845-1/universal-flu-vaccine [URL]

You guys ask for evidence. I provide it. Then you want argue about semantics and ignore or not view the evidence. I wasn't exactly claiming that FDA is in bed with pharma so much as I was offering to spell it out here as a reminder. The USA FDA revolving door is well known. Much the same as the EPA. Regulatory capture I believe it is called. First I will delve into the AMA but waiting for Lake to report his findings first (doubt that he will) while I study up on the subject. For Canadians you guys sure have a lot of trust in the American medical system. I know that you guys love your medical system but the problems with the American one are well known (even to Canadians).

If there can be no scientific discourse there is no science, just totalitarianism.
There are prominent respected doctors who would love to have the debate but we are told that they are crackpots and should not be listened to. They jailed Galileo for his discoveries. Dr. Peter McCullough is being stripped of a lot of the credentials behind his name but he is not being deterred. He says fact check him all you want he is ready to have a debate. But no one will debate him. They only want him silenced. He is the most published covid doctor that we have. He has (or had) prominent standing in the field of medicine. Why would he do this? What is his motive? What is your theory? Part of an evil plot to harm mankind? Sounds familiar. I don't think so. Here is his peer reviewed paper including his successful treatment protocol to which he later added ivermectin: https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext
Early outpatient multidrug therapy is curing covid. The vaccines effectiveness wanes after six months and they don't prevent transmission nor provide lasting immunity. You will need to be reinjected every six months and each time the chance of injury is greater. Does that even sound like a vaccine. Look at the case rates in Israel. Heavily vaccinated, all Pfizer, extreme infection rate, some are on 4th booster. Wake up people!
Old 09-10-2021, 17:17   #3050
cruiser

I googled up some articles. Got all these on the first two pages. Haven't started reading them yet but is looking like they most definitely are in cahoots:
Thick as Thieves? Big Pharma Wields Its Power with the Help of
Government Regulation https://scholarlycommons.law.emory.e...&context=ecgar
Drug companies’ payments and gifts affect physicians’ prescribing. It’s time to turn off the spigothttps://www.statnews.com/2020/12/04/...n-prescribing/
Study Affirms Pharma's Influence on Physicians https://academic.oup.com/jnci/articl...5/1148/1007892
Big Pharma Money Really Does Influence What Doctors Prescribe, Report Findshttps://gizmodo.com/big-pharma-money...pre-1840563909
A Symbiotic Relationship — The AMA And The For-Profit Health Lobbyhttps://archive.thinkprogress.org/a-...-a98e7148ad1e/
The Untold Story of Purdue Pharma’s Cozy Relationship With the American Medical Associationhttps://www.motherjones.com/politics...public-health/
How and why millions of dollars in Big Pharma money is flowing to New York doctorshttps://www.lohud.com/story/news/inv...ors/773342001/
AMA sells your Doctor's info to Big Pharmahttps://www.communitycatalyst.org/bl...big-pharma-pal
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-opioid-crisishttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-opioid-crisis
How Big Pharma Grew Addicted to Big Profitshttps://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/b...ld-posner.html
Hidden conflicts? Pharma payments to FDA advisers after drug approvals spark ethical concerns
Science investigation of journal disclosures and pharmaceutical funding records shows potential influence on physician gatekeepershttps://www.science.org/content/arti...-spark-ethical
WAR ON DRUGS
MEDIA, PHARMA WIN; CITIZENS LOSEhttps://www.freedommag.org/magazine/...zens-lose.html
The Influence of the Pharmaceutical Industry on Healthcare Practitioners’ Prescribing Habits.https://ispub.com/IJAPA/7/1/10273
The Pharmaceutical Industry’s Role in U.S. Medical Educationhttps://in-training.org/drugged-gree...ducation-10639

I wonder if I should see what is on page three. Or on second thought it is probably better to not read any of these articles because they are likely to further poison my opinion of the medical cartel.
Old 09-10-2021, 18:44   #3051

Quote:
So why would 4% of those AMA surveyed mds not get vaxxed? What have they seen to not want to be? You guys want to silence them, take away their medical licenses, and shoot up 6 month old babies with dangerous experimental still not proven by any means to be safe substances. There is also a plethora of ex high profile political appointees signing on as reps and lobbyists for pharma. here is a recent list:

Where is the debate? Where is the scientific discourse? It seems to be missing. Minds were made up to push an mRNA vaccine on 6 month old babies during the next pandemic. ....
Forget who you think is in bed with whom. The real-world evidence is already available in abundance. Over 400 million doses of vaccine have been administered in the US alone, a large percentage of them mRNA vaccines. Your hair-on-fire warnings have been totally wrong. We are waiting for you to make good on your promise to retract any false pronouncements. You have a lot of retraction to do.

The mRNA vaccines are very safe; virtually no one who has gotten them has had ill side effects.

The mRNA vaccines are quite effective; people who get them are far less likely to get COVID.
Old 09-10-2021, 20:21   #3052

Quote:
So why would 4% of those AMA surveyed mds not get vaxxed?
As I suspected, you didn't even read the link. It mentions that of that 4%, approx half stated that they intended to get vaccinated. You have no way of knowing why the remaining 2% haven't been vaccinated... medical issues perhaps? And in the US, approx 22% of the general population identify as anti-vax. Out of 100 American doctors, might there be one or two conspiracy nuts there too?

Quote:
Where is the debate? Where is the scientific discourse? It seems to be missing.
It's seldom a part of these conspiracy theories. That's a given.

Quote:
Wake up people!
It's "sheeple". If you're gonna do it, at least do it right.

Quote:
I googled up some articles [on doctors and big pharma]. Got all these on the first two pages.

I think this is called "walking it back". More of a headlong, desperate retreat, I think.

Do you have a family doctor? Do you trust him/her? yes or no. When they prescribe medicine or give advice, do you take it? yes or no.
Old 09-10-2021, 21:30   #3053
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
As I suspected, you didn't even read the link. so how would i have known they only surveyed 301 people over the course of a few days? It mentions that of that 4%, approx half stated that they intended to get vaccinated. they were doctors, had first priority, why would they waitYou have no way of knowing why the remaining 2% haven't been vaccinated... medical issues perhaps? It was stated that "The most common reason for not receiving the vaccine was concern about the
vaccine being too new and having unknown long-term effects".
And in the US, approx 22% of the general population identify as anti-vax. Out of 100 American doctors, might there be one or two conspiracy nuts there too?

It's seldom a part of these conspiracy theories. That's a given. not talking about you and me having a debate but scientific discourse among professionals concerning the latest evidence. Also known as science with a small s.

It's "sheeple". If you're gonna do it, at least do it right. Already told you I am not political

I think this is called "walking it back". More of a headlong, desperate retreat, I think. Fat chance! You haven't said which of my statements was wrong nor how you have disproved anything

Do you have a family doctor? Do you trust him/her? yes or no. When they prescribe medicine or give advice, do you take it? yes or no.
I have no family doctor. I trust doctors for some things like emergency medicine. Xrays, MRI, ultrasounds, surgeries, broken bones, vision, dermatology, etc. There are many doctors who I think are scumbags. They take advantage of a patient's insurance or retirement money and recommend unnecessary or ineffective procedures for profit. If you are admitted into the hospital you need a very good advocate fighting for you. Medical mistakes are a major cause of death. Also doctors prescribing newer medicines for off label therapies and pushing new drug because they are influenced by pharma reps runs rampant. I wouldn't trust most doctors to stay on top of the latest research and studies either. Most doctors by far will just do what they are told by whatever organization they bow down to. I would trust more the opinion of those doctors citing safety concerns as a reason to not get the vax. Also, as doctors they may have lost patients to vax injuries or the technically unvaxxed because many die a covid labeled death after the first shot.
Old 09-10-2021, 22:05   #3054
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You remind me a lot of Newhaul, in that you find it difficult to open your mouth without a lot of nonsense coming out (though Newhaul specializes in Climate Change nonsense). As L-E has already pointed out, the use of statistics allows fairly accurate information to be derived from the polling of a relatively small sample. But the AMA is not the only body that had collected statistics regarding health worker vaccination rates. The following demonstrates that the more health education a person has, the more likely they will be to accept the science behind vaccination, and the more likely they will have gotten vaccinated. This is totally opposed to the "squat" that you've been preaching.

Disparities in COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage Among Health Care Personnel Working in Long-Term Care Facilities, by Job Category, National Healthcare Safety Network — [CDC]
Long-Term Care Facilities
March 1–April 4, 2021
Health Profession / Percent Vaccinated
Aides 45.6
Ancillary services employees 58.5
Nurses 56.7
Therapists 69.2
Physicians and advanced practice providers 75.1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note: Arkansas is a "RED" state
Data from Arkansas Department of Health shows vaccination rate among health care workers
August 13th 2021

The data shows that only 43 percent of dentists in the state are fully vaccinated. The next lowest vaccinated health care worker is nurses at 51 percent, pharmacists at 66 percent, and doctors having the highest rate at 70 percent.

Source: Arkansas Department of Health
Wow these rates are a lot lower than the AMA rates. So 25-30% of doctors aren't getting vaxxed? That says a lot right there. Went from 2% (AMA survey) to 25-30% (two other sources). So over one fourth of doctors are crackpot conspiracy theorists (or for some other reason decide not to get the jabs) Willing to bet that a lot of them had covid! Which gives them lasting and durable immunity far better than they would get from the jabs! These numbers are from July and August which means they don't intend to get it. You have to wonder what the nurses have witnessed to decline the jab. More of them probably had covid. None of the articles say anything at all about the covid survivors. Now they are out of work. That is the thanks they receive for putting their lives on the line to try to save covid patients. They should be commended.

You, also still haven't proven a thing nor even posted any kind of relevant evidence that I, nor the doctors, scientists and attorneys that I quote are wrong. Furthermore you just showed me that 25-30% of the doctors may be in my camp which is amazingly reassuring news considering the pull that pharma has on our doctors. Please post some more reassuring news soon. Don't keep posting your personal attacks and libelous remarks. You have crossed the line there. You trying to crash and burn the thread? The thread might go away, I might go away. The argument is here to stay, there are way smarter people than me to debate. The fact remains that you (obviously) are simply a hater.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:51   #3055
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... Dr. Peter McCullough is being stripped of a lot of the credentials behind his name but he is not being deterred. He says fact check him all you want he is ready to have a debate. But no one will debate him. They only want him silenced. He is the most published covid doctor that we have ...
... Here is his peer reviewed paper including his successful treatment protocol to which he later added ivermectin: https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext ...
As far as I know, Peter McCullough hasn’t been [yet] stripped of any credential.
He has been enjoined from publicising any affiliation with Baylor Medical Center.

About Peter A McCullough MD, MPH, FACC:
https://www.uscjournal.com/authors/peter-mccullough
https://www.heartplace.com/dr-peter-a-mccullough
https://www.acc.org/membership/perso...3-d37f83c8bd18

According to a legal filing [1], McCullough has conducted “dozens, if not hundreds, of interviews in print and video,” during some of which he is identified as a staff official at Baylor Medical Center, or its affiliated institutions, such as “vice chief of internal medicine” at Baylor.
[1] ➥ https://courtsportal.dallascounty.or...93BsZt7qA2?p=0

Misinformation and flat-out lies about the pandemic have been washing over us like a tsunami, thanks to the work of cynical politicians, uninformed celebrities and ignorant and irresponsible social-media “influencers.”

What’s most distressing is how some of the purveyors of anti-vaccine claptrap and hokum about supposed COVID treatments and cures have the initials M.D. after their names.

Recently [July 29, 2021] the FSMB noted that doctors “have an ethical and professional responsibility to practice medicine in the best interests of their patients and must share information that is factual, scientifically grounded and consensus-driven for the betterment of public health.”

FSMB: Spreading COVID-19 Vaccine Misinformation May Put Medical License at Risk
“The Federation of State Medical Boards’ Board of Directors released the following statement in response to a dramatic increase in the dissemination of COVID-19 vaccine misinformation and disinformation by physicians and other health care professionals on social media platforms, online and in the media:
“Physicians who generate and spread COVID-19 vaccine misinformation or disinformation are risking disciplinary action by state medical boards, including the suspension or revocation of their medical license ...”
https://www.fsmb.org/advocacy/news-r...cense-at-risk/
https://twitter.com/TheFSMB/status/1...645002/photo/1
https://www.fsmb.org/advocacy/covid-19/

Thus far, there appear to have been only two disciplinary actions taken against doctors, strictly for misinformation or disinformation, related to the pandemic.

Last December, the Oregon Medical Board issued an emergency suspension of the license of Steven LaTulippe after finding that he was seeing patients without wearing a mask, allowing his staff to interact with patients unmasked, and encouraging patients to doff their masks. Oregon law requires masks to be worn by healthcare workers in clinical settings.
https://omb.oregon.gov/Clients/ORMB/...4c3c203523.pdf

In January, a San Francisco doctor who had garnered notoriety for claiming that the pandemic was caused by the spread of 5G telecommunications technology voluntarily surrendered his license to the California Medical Board. Thomas Cowan, whose assertion was widely and conclusively debunked, already had said on his website that he would “re-emerge as an unlicensed ‘health coach’ or consultant.”
Cowan had been placed on five-year probation in 2017 for prescribing an unapproved drug for a breast cancer patient, and without conducting a physical examination of the patient or examining records of her prior treatment.
https://www2.mbc.ca.gov/BreezePDL/do...9202932167.DID
https://www2.mbc.ca.gov/PDL/document...r=86923#page=1

COMMENTS on Dr. McCullough’s PAPER
"Early Outpatient Treatment of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19): A Comment” ~ by Tony M. Korman, MBBS, FRACP, FRCPA, and James H. McMahon, MBBS, MPH, PhD, FRACP
“McCullough et al propose a treatment algorithm for early outpatient treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), which is not supported by evidence ...”
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...875-5/fulltext

The Reply: Peter A. McCullough, MD, MPH
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...093-7/fulltext

The paper:
“Pathophysiological Basis and Rationale for Early Outpatient Treatment of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Infection” ~ Peter A. McCullough, MD, MPH et al
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...673-2/fulltext

FWIW:

a] The American Journal of Medicine didn’t recommend hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19; scientific evidence doesn’t show hydroxychloroquine is effective against COVID-19
https://healthfeedback.org/claimrevi...inst-covid-19/

b] The Editors at Elsevier have identified the top 10 COVID-19 related articles accessed by physicians on ClinicalKey in 2021. Interestingly, Dr. McCullough’s paper [above] ranked 7TH.
https://boldly.cma.ca/blog/top-ten-m...21-at-elsevier

Old 10-10-2021, 02:54   #3056
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Italian sailors knew of America 150 years before Christopher Columbus

New analysis [1], of ancient writings [2], suggests that sailors, from the Italian hometown of Christopher Columbus, knew of America, 150 years before its renowned 'discovery'.

Transcribing and detailing a, circa 1345, document by a Milanese friar, Galvaneus Flamma [2], Medieval Latin literature expert Professor Paolo Chiesa has made an "astonishing" discovery of an "exceptional" passage, referring to an area we know, today, as North America.[1]

According to Chiesa, the ancient essay, first discovered in 2013, suggests that sailors from Genoa were already aware of this land, recognizable as 'Markland'/ 'Marckalada', mentioned by some Icelandic sources, and identified by scholars, as part of the Atlantic coast of North America (usually assumed to be Labrador or Newfoundland).

Published in the peer-reviewed journal Terrae Incognitae [1], the discovery/findings add more fuel to the fire, for the continuing question of 'what, exactly, did Columbus expect to find when he set out across the ocean?'

In translating and analyzing the document, Professor Chiesa demonstrates how Genoa would have been a "gateway" for news, and how Galvaneus appears to hear, informally, of seafarers' rumors about lands to the extreme north-west, for eventual commercial benefit, as well as information about Greenland, which he details accurately (for knowledge of the time).

[1] “Marckalada: The First Mention of America in the Mediterranean Area (c. 1340)” ~ by Paolo Chiesa
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...4.2021.1943792

[2] “Cronica universalis”, written in Latin, is still unpublished; however, an edition is planned, in the context of a scholarly and educational program promoted by the University of Milan.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:47   #3057
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Why am I not surprised that a crackpot conspiracy nut like you would overlooked the fact that the statistics showing fewer doctors having received vaccination was earlier in the pandemic, and the statistics showing higher vaccination rates was later in the pandemic?

Your inability to accurately process information is a major reason why your conclusions and recommendations are totally unreliable.

In this we can agree. I've lost family members to COVID, and others are facing months, if not years, of rehabilitation to recover from COVID. I am incensed that charlatan imbeciles like you have such a pernicious influence on our society. I'm also appalled and discouraged that so many people prefer to get their medical advice from loudmouth backwoods rednecks rather than subject-matter experts.
My condolences to you and yours on loss to the Wuhan Flu.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:56   #3058
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
My condolences to you and yours on loss to the Wuhan Flu.
It's too bad that your kind compassion is undone, by your editorial misrepresentation.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:01   #3059
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It's too bad that your kind compassion is undone, by your editorial misrepresentation.
.???
Old 10-10-2021, 07:14   #3060
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
.???
Quote:
... the Wuhan Flu.