Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 14:55   #1321

Re: Science & Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Yep and no we won't really have any more but with the waining magnetosphere more will actually broach the ionosphere causing more issues for us humans . One direct hit like what hit Quebec in 1989 and we are back in the 1800's .
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Obs...obal%20average

Been trying to tell you all for several years .
From your link:
It has been speculated whether the current weakening of the field is a sign that Earth is heading for an eminent pole reversal – in which the north and south magnetic poles switch places. Such events have occurred many times throughout the planet’s history and even though we are long overdue by the average rate at which these reversals take place (roughly every 250 000 years), the intensity dip in the South Atlantic occurring now is well within what is considered normal levels of fluctuations.
It seems strange that the events that science says we don't have reason to worry about, you worry about.

And the events that science says we should worry about, you don't worry about.

Maybe your poles have already switched?
Old 09-04-2021, 16:55   #1322

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Yep and no we won't really have any more but with the waining magnetosphere more will actually broach the ionosphere causing more issues for us humans . One direct hit like what hit Quebec in 1989 and we are back in the 1800's .
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Obs...obal%20average

Been trying to tell you all for several years .
Wot I said in post #1317, your welcome.
Old 09-04-2021, 19:10   #1323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
I just hope I can get the wood heat installed before the next Carrington event.
Then figure how to get South, with all the electrical/electronics shot
Actually a cme/ solar flare such as the Carrington event won't actually cause much damage in the small scale systems like ours on boats . It's not like an electro magnet pulse from a nuke bomb . We will still have our solar panels charging our batteries and our vhf radios for communication. Aside from people have been sailing the oceans successfully for a couple thousand years with no fancy electronics.
Old 09-04-2021, 19:15   #1324
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
From your link:
It has been speculated whether the current weakening of the field is a sign that Earth is heading for an eminent pole reversal – in which the north and south magnetic poles switch places. Such events have occurred many times throughout the planet’s history and even though we are long overdue by the average rate at which these reversals take place (roughly every 250 000 years), the intensity dip in the South Atlantic occurring now is well within what is considered normal levels of fluctuations.
It seems strange that the events that science says we don't have reason to worry about, you worry about.

And the events that science says we should worry about, you don't worry about.

Maybe your poles have already switched?
Really you should know better than that comment I'm not worried about any of it besides I'm actually paying attention to the actual science not the geopolitical pseudoscience that is the MMGWC .

BTW Soufrière St. Vincent volcano in the Grenadines erupted today to 30,000 ft which is fully stratospheric. I'm just hoping that everyone that needed evacuation has been helped.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:39   #1325
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What's Happening Under the Thwaites Glacier?

A new study [1], published in ‘Science Advances’, on Friday, presents the first-ever direct observations of what’s going under the Thwaites Glacier ice shelf, including the temperature and salinity of the water that’s flowing under it, as well as the strength of the current.
The authors explain that the supply of warm water, to the glacier’s base, is larger than scientists previously believed, which means it’s even more unstable than we thought.
Thwaites glacier a broad, vast hunk of ice that flows from the West Antarctic ice sheet into Pine Island Bay, a part of the Amundsen Sea. The 119,300-square-mile (192,000-square-kilometer) ice shelf is disappearing faster, than any other one in the region, in large part because of the waters circulating beneath it, and wearing away at its base. If it collapses completely, it could have a devastating effect on global sea level rise.
The new study is based on field observations from 2019, when a team of two dozen scientists sent an autonomous orange submarine, named “Ran”, down underneath Thwaites. For 13 hours, the underwater vehicle traveled around two deep troughs beneath the glacier, that funnel warm water toward it. As it did, the vehicle captured data, showing that warm water [for a glacier], at up to 33.89 degrees Fahrenheit (1.05 degrees Celsius), is swirling around the glacier’s crucial “pinning points,” or the points of contact, where the ice shelf meets the bedrock that holds it in place. This warm water is melting away these crucial holds, making room for cracks, and troughs, in ice, that can make the shelf all the more unstable.
Thwaites Glacier’s collapse would raise sea levels by 1.5 to 3 feet (0.5 to 0.9 meters), and could also trigger an even worse chain of events because it could initiate the collapse of another nearby imperiled ice shelf, the Pine Island Glacier. Together, these shelves act as a braking mechanism on land ice that, if released into the open waters, could push seas up to 10 feet (3.1 meters), overwhelming coastal cities around the world.

[1]“Pathways and modification of warm water flowing beneath Thwaites Ice Shelf, West Antarctica” ~ by A. K. Wåhlin et al
“Thwaites Glacier is the most rapidly changing outlet of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and adds large uncertainty to 21st century sea-level rise predictions. Here, we present the first direct observations of ocean temperature, salinity, and oxygen beneath Thwaites Ice Shelf front, collected by an autonomous underwater vehicle ...”
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/15/eabd7254

Old 10-04-2021, 12:27   #1326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Once-rare Arctic lightning is now more frequent

“Recent studies suggest lightning in the far North could double by 2100 and that the increase may already be underway” ~ by Alejandra Borunda

Lightning in the Arctic used to be so vanishingly rare, that people could go their whole lives without seeing a flash. But as the region warms rapidly, it may become more common; with effects that could reach outside the Arctic.
A recent study projects that the occurrence of lighting, in the Arctic, could double by the end of the century.
Another study suggests that the number of Arctic flashes may have tripled, within the last decade alone; though some researchers question that result.
More https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ape-the-region

“Future increases in Arctic lightning and fire risk for permafrost carbon” ~ by Yang Chen et al
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01011-y

Old 10-04-2021, 18:38   #1327

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
. . . Thwaites Glacier’s collapse would raise sea levels by 1.5 to 3 feet (0.5 to 0.9 meters), and could also trigger an even worse chain of events because it could initiate the collapse of another nearby imperiled ice shelf, the Pine Island Glacier. Together, these shelves act as a braking mechanism on land ice that, if released into the open waters, could push seas up to 10 feet (3.1 meters), overwhelming coastal cities around the world.. ..

That would suck.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 10-04-2021, 19:47   #1328
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That would suck.
Sounds like potentially new anchorages for cruisers to me
Old 10-04-2021, 19:48   #1329
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What's Happening Under the Thwaites Glacier?

A new study [1], published in ‘Science Advances’, on Friday, presents the first-ever direct observations of what’s going under the Thwaites Glacier ice shelf, including the temperature and salinity of the water that’s flowing under it, as well as the strength of the current.
The authors explain that the supply of warm water, to the glacier’s base, is larger than scientists previously believed, which means it’s even more unstable than we thought.
Thwaites glacier a broad, vast hunk of ice that flows from the West Antarctic ice sheet into Pine Island Bay, a part of the Amundsen Sea. The 119,300-square-mile (192,000-square-kilometer) ice shelf is disappearing faster, than any other one in the region, in large part because of the waters circulating beneath it, and wearing away at its base. If it collapses completely, it could have a devastating effect on global sea level rise.
The new study is based on field observations from 2019, when a team of two dozen scientists sent an autonomous orange submarine, named “Ran”, down underneath Thwaites. For 13 hours, the underwater vehicle traveled around two deep troughs beneath the glacier, that funnel warm water toward it. As it did, the vehicle captured data, showing that warm water [for a glacier], at up to 33.89 degrees Fahrenheit (1.05 degrees Celsius), is swirling around the glacier’s crucial “pinning points,” or the points of contact, where the ice shelf meets the bedrock that holds it in place. This warm water is melting away these crucial holds, making room for cracks, and troughs, in ice, that can make the shelf all the more unstable.
Thwaites Glacier’s collapse would raise sea levels by 1.5 to 3 feet (0.5 to 0.9 meters), and could also trigger an even worse chain of events because it could initiate the collapse of another nearby imperiled ice shelf, the Pine Island Glacier. Together, these shelves act as a braking mechanism on land ice that, if released into the open waters, could push seas up to 10 feet (3.1 meters), overwhelming coastal cities around the world.

[1]“Pathways and modification of warm water flowing beneath Thwaites Ice Shelf, West Antarctica” ~ by A. K. Wåhlin et al
“Thwaites Glacier is the most rapidly changing outlet of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and adds large uncertainty to 21st century sea-level rise predictions. Here, we present the first direct observations of ocean temperature, salinity, and oxygen beneath Thwaites Ice Shelf front, collected by an autonomous underwater vehicle ...”
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/15/eabd7254
Don't fret it's not gonna happen any time soon.
Old 10-04-2021, 20:06   #1330

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Don't fret it's not gonna happen any time soon.

We shall see, shan't we?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 10-04-2021, 21:52   #1331
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We shall see, shan't we?
Aye we shall
Old 11-04-2021, 09:06   #1332

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Aye we shall
Miami and Savanna will really suck. I wont have to worry as I will be long gone. Pity though.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:47   #1333
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Human brains struggle to subtract

When solving problems, people tend to think about adding something before they think of taking something away — even when subtracting is the better solution. Experiments show that this newly discovered psychological phenomenon applies across a range of situations, from improving a physical design to solving an abstract puzzle.

“Less is more: Why our brains struggle to subtract”

Video

“People systematically overlook subtractive changes” ~ by Gabrielle S. Adams et al
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03380-y

Old 13-04-2021, 04:48   #1334
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

“What is mRNA? The messenger molecule that’s been in every living cell for billions of years is the key ingredient in some COVID-19 vaccines” ~ by Penny Riggs*
Here’s a crash course in just what mRNA is, and the important job it does.
https://theconversation.com/what-is-...accines-158511

* Penny Riggs, Associate Professor of Functional Genomics, and Associate Vice President for Research, Texas A&M University.

Old 13-04-2021, 05:20   #1335
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Genomic surveillance:
What it is and why we need more of it to track coronavirus variants and help end the COVID-19 pandemic” ~ by Doctors Alexander Sundermann, Lee Harrison , & Vaughn Cooper
“You can’t fix what you don’t measure” is a maxim in the business world. And it holds true in the world of public health as well.
More ➥ https://theconversation.com/genomic-...andemic-157540

Closed Thread

Tags
enc