Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2008, 21:48   #16

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Boat Names

My boat's name is Vixen, that was it's name when I bought her and I don't intend changing it as it is also her registration "number".

I was buying a new ute a few years ago - a Ford Falcon XR8; when the salesman wanted to know what colour I was interested in, I said a red. He showed me a colour chart that had a red colour and the name of the colour was Vixen. I straight away told him that was the colour, and he couldn't believe I picked it so quickly and decisively.

I tried to explain the link to my boat, but I could tell he was lost somewhere along the way.

Fair winds

Steve.

PS My name is the name that my parents gave me
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 22:09   #17

Boat: Researching trawlers...looking at Nordhavns and Krogens
My screen name is from where I attended college - The University of Virginia - also know as the 'Hoos' short for "Wahoos".

My future vessel will be called "Mojo", just because I like it...and it's easy to say and have understood over VHF and SSB.

Wahoo
Old 24-02-2008, 22:29   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
My Vessel name is "Faiaoahe"...Try pronouncing that one...Hint:- It is from the Herman Melville Novet, "TYPEE".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 08:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Both my boat and screen name is Santana. This was the name of Bogart's personal boat and the name he used for boats in some of his movies. The name comes from the Santa Ana wind that blows on the west coast of the USA.
I wrote to Lauren Bacall back when I was building my boat and asked if it would be okay with her if I named my boat after Mr. Bogarts boat. She replied and said that she would enjoy it. I have the letter framed next to my document locker.
Mr Bogart was an avid sailor and enjoyed going out every chance he got. If I remember right, he only lost one race in the time he had the boat. all races were informal. Just get out there and challenge another yacht to a race.
My boats designed for cruising not racing, so at least I won't tarnish the originals record...
In case you were wondering. Santana is tied up at the St. Francis Yacht Club here on the San Francisco Bay. The owner is a really nice guy. It went through an extensive restoration and is kept in immaculate condition.

David

The Santana

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 08:59   #20
Kai Nui

First, Fay -o-way
Now, my boat/user name. A few years back I owned a 28' wood boat that was built in 1928 by Hugh Angleman. Her name was Kai Nui (Big Water). She lived up to that name well. The bigger the seas, the better she was balanced. Loved that boat, and really hated to part with her.
The name fit my sailing attitude well. When the flags go up, I get the bug to go out. Flat days make me queasy. 15' seas make me feel good. I just sort of adopted the name for myself. If there are big seas out there, you can count on me being in or around them.
It just seemed appropriate that my next boat be named Kai Nui. Since she is not the original, I was going to name her Kai Nui II, but since she is a tri, Kai Nui III just seemed to fit.
Recently, Kai Nui met her final destination. All of the owners that had her after me neglected her. She finally ended up on death row, and was chopped up a few weeks ago. I am rethinking the name, and will likely just stay with Kai Nui for the tri. No "III". I will refrain from going into a rant about people who should not own boats. I did consider rescuing her from the crusher, but just couldn't bring myself to take on another project of that magnitude.
So, the name lives on.
Old 25-02-2008, 09:19   #21

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
How did you come to name your vessel, or yourself as in your screen name?
My username and boat name are the same.

Amfivena is the english spelling of 'Amphisbaena', a mythical snake with a head on both ends. As our boat is double ended (Westsail 32) it seemed appropriate.

Also...
-Amphisbaena are noted for going out in the cold. Which fits us as we have no interest in heading South.
-Amphisbaena are said to like to eat ants. Our boat had hundreds on board when we bought it.
-Amphisbaena are said to be a sign of fertility and we were trying to get pregnant when we named the boat.

Plus, at the time I could find no record of the name in use for a boat and the .com domain was available.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:57   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
My future vessel will be called "Mojo"
Yeah! MOJO BABY!!

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
For liveaboard, a "mutually benefitial relationship between two unlike species" (i.e., boat and man), put Symbiosis on my short-list. I had several others, but most turned out to be more common than I first thought.

When I checked the USCG documentation database, there was only one other Symbiosis, and it looked likely to have expired.

I have a thing about originality, or at least getting as close to it as possible ...

so, as Paul Harvey says (said), that's the rest of the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	symbiosis.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	3073  
Old 25-02-2008, 11:16   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
My boat's names:

Mariner 35 all wood Garden Ketch, "Dawn's Heart." Looking into the heart of the dawn brings you good luck.

Cascade 42 Cutter, "Casual." Suits my personality and was always named "Casual" from the first owner.

Herreshof 12 foot Sailing Dinghy, "Orinoco." After the song by Abba and the River in South America.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:24   #25

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
The name of my boat is True Blue. Her hull is blue .
When I purchased her last year the boat was named True Blue. I thought I would sail her one season and a good name would pop into my mind, but it never happened. So I think I will call her True Blue as long as I own her.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:09   #26
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
My screen name is derived from letters of my 3 names. I've ben using it since hanging out on bullitin boards in the VIC-20 days.

Boat names:

Woodpile - a 1966 36' Pacemaker, wood hull. Surely I don't have to explain this one...

Woodstock - my current boat. The name came from:
  • Woodstock, GA - I live there
  • Woodstock concert (wasn't there: I was 12 at the time, but I had the records when they first came out)
  • Woodstock the bird - had a nickname as Snoopy as a kid
  • Also a homage to Woodpile - the boat.
You can see from my avitar that I used the guitar and hand from the Woodstock poster, but replaced the original dove with Woodstock the bird. That logo is on the back of my boat, and smaller versions on the sides of the flybridge. See the original poster and the making of the logo here along with photos of the logo on the boat: Woodstock - 1982 Sea Ray SRV 360
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 17:40   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
"True Blue" - David Williamson

True Blue,
David Williamson wrote a song about your boat
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 20:31   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
My screen name is derived from letters of my 3 names. I've ben using it since hanging out on bullitin boards in the VIC-20 days.

Boat names:

Woodpile - a 1966 36' Pacemaker, wood hull. Surely I don't have to explain this one...

Woodstock - my current boat. The name came from:
  • Woodstock, GA - I live there
  • Woodstock concert (wasn't there: I was 12 at the time, but I had the records when they first came out)
  • Woodstock the bird - had a nickname as Snoopy as a kid
  • Also a homage to Woodpile - the boat.
You can see from my avitar that I used the guitar and hand from the Woodstock poster, but replaced the original dove with Woodstock the bird. That logo is on the back of my boat, and smaller versions on the sides of the flybridge. See the original poster and the making of the logo here along with photos of the logo on the boat: Woodstock - 1982 Sea Ray SRV 360
I enjoyed reading your post, dacust, and I like your creative conflation of the Woodstock guitar and the little bird from Peanuts. Of course, neither one is my property, nor, I'm pleased to report, does Disney own the Peanuts characters.

I say that because Disney is absolutely ruthless about anyone infringing upon their intellectual properties - yes, even going after the most nondescript user/s of their properties without written permission.

In the case of Woodstock, from the Peanuts comic strip, I don't know if the Charles Schultz estate or United Feature Syndicate own the rights, nor how aggressive they are when it comes to asserting their rights, but your use without permission is ill-advised. Especially now that you've published the fact.

The holder/s of the rights to the Woodstock concert poster may be lost in the mists of time and/or a drug-induced stupor, and that image may even be in the public domain by this point, so you're unlikely to have that one come back to haunt you.

I don't mean this to be a buzz-kill, dacust. I just wanted to make you aware of the jeopardy that can accompany copyright infringement.

TaoJones
Old 03-03-2008, 22:15   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My Vessel name is "Faiaoahe"...Try pronouncing that one...Hint:- It is from the Herman Melville Novet, "TYPEE".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
First, Fay -o-way . . . <snip>
I have to disagree, Kai Nui.

In the Polynesian languages, as I recall, all vowels are pronounced. Thus, Hawai'i is correctly pronounced (Hah vah EE ee or Hah wah EE ee, both are acceptable). And the island of Kaho'olawe, which most haoles (whites, or all foreigners) foolishly mispronounce kuh HOO luh wee, is correctly pronounced Kah ho oh LAH ve or Kah ho oh LAH we, with the concluding sound the same as wet, or vet, with the "t" omitted.

So I would pronounce Faiaoahe: Fah ee ah oh AH he, with the vowel sound in the concluding "he" sounding more like the e in "bet" or "help." The concluding sound is not, in my understanding, the same as "hay," as in hay fever.

I would be curious to know how Celestialsailor pronounces it.

TaoJones
Old 04-03-2008, 19:51   #30
Kai Nui

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. This is not the first boat of this name I have come accross. BUT, if I am, I will take the correction

Tags
boat names