Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Lorainne,

They are not all that rare. They just seem to be in hiding, or taken......lololol
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 13:46   #47

Screen and boat names

Sorry about the delay, Imagine2frolic. Had to run, husband came home unexpectedly, needing feeding and watering and since I have been cut off from CF due to dereliction of domestic duty resulting in a "small kitchen fire" while chatting with Sully, I had to dash.

Apparently, the action was even sanctioned by Gord and Alan via telephone...something fishy there....And thanks to Pelac

Anyways, my name is my name. My boat was called "V-Tack" ...a play on ventricular tachycardia and the tender was V-Fib... short for ventricular fibrillation, serious cardiac arrhythmias I used to encounter in the average day's work. Mmmm...spent too much time at work..

Next boat will be more creative.

Thanks for trying to buoy my spirits..no pun intended. Good thread

And thanks to Pelagic for his usual funny posts.
Lorianne Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 22:06   #48
Marine Service Provider

My main boat is called 'Suburban Reptile' so zero connection to screen name but not far off what my wife calls me at times.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 22:19   #49

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I sailed in the merchant marine. I stranded on the large island called China (not that it is literally an island, but it feels like living on one because it has been isolated for so long) in 1994. Hence my screen name 'Stranded Mariner'.

The name of my boat (which is under construction right now) is 'Waratah', after the state flower of New South Wales.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:07   #50

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Boat name comes from the Suzy Bogguss song Music on the Wind, the chorus being how the wind sings Aria. Screen name comes from an old friend who used to call me PB, but since that was taken where I first used it, I added the zeer.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24   #51

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think Frolic is a great name for a boat meant for pleasure.

My future boat will be named Marinella. It is my wifes name and it coincidently means "from the sea". I think it is a very pretty name as well and sailboats just need a pretty name because they are pretty. This to me is a perfect name because of the triple meaning.
I think it's the 'Maren' part that means 'of or from the sea'; the 'ella' part is a diminutive.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 19:16   #52

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Great thread --- a great story, Fenceguy.....

my screen name - windsaloft --- have been a pilot since 1983 and in my home state of Wyoming, my favorite flying is in the Wind River Mountains, so the name just worked and has been my screen and business name for many years.

Our boat "Delphinius" -- both of our favorite constellation, and somewhat common, but when we took delivery of the boat way out in the open water, just when the delivery skipper said "well, we're here" a dolphin jumped up right at the transom and put a big splash of water on the transom, just like a baptism. As we all stared and said "Did you see that?" the ocean around us erupted into one of those huge massive dolphin feeding frenzies with flying cavorting dolphins all around us.....it was totally unreal! We felt no option but to take the name give to us.
Old 05-04-2008, 20:56   #53

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
My current boat Spirit was named By the previous owner she survived Hurricane Ivan almost direct hit with minimal damage, being semi supersticious I figured it would not be wise to change the name when I bought her. I'll soon be buying a bigger boat to go to the Caribbean in, I will name her a word which is spelled the same in English and Spanish to avoid confusion in radio and paperwork contacts. Something like IDEA, IMAGINE, or CHANCE there are many others. I once saw a sailboat named Zubenelgenubi, for the star, not many lock or bridge tenders would appreciate that one!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59   #54

Boat: 1974 Catalina 22 - Riff Raft (still)
I chose Greenhorn for my screen name, because, well, I'm a sailing greenhorn. My boat was named Riff Raft when I bought it, but we chose Serenity Now! for a few reasons. A: Serenity, the movie B:Seinfeld, the tv show, C: We're looking for peace on a hectic schedule.
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06   #55

Boat: 42SS' Carver 'Bear Essentials II'
Hi,

Great thread and ours is a long story.

My wife is very slightly built (5’4”, 110 lbs when I met her) and we initially met in Misawa, Japan, which is very cold in the winter. She came to the door one day, wearing a fur lined parka and gloves with leather pads to increase grip. I laughed and said “You look like a little bear!” The name stuck and I still call her that today, 25 years later.

When we were looking for our boat, we toured a CARVER 404. It was a 1999 model that I wasn’t all that super happy with. On the way home, my wife said “Well, you know, it has essentially everything we need…” So when we decided to get it, I came up with ‘Bear Essentials.’ She liked it and that’s what we named her.

A couple of months ago, we picked up a CARVER 42SS. It really was a no brainer to call her “Bear Essentials II”.

I’m also a fan of World War II aircraft nose art, so we used a variation of a Vargas Girl reclining behind the lettering. We have gotten tons of complements from other boaters at our homeport and other marina’s we’ve visited, so I think the partial nudity is acceptable.

Lee and Terry (Terry-Bear)
Dinner Key Marina
Coconut Grove, Fl
Bear Essentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55   #56
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Bear Essentials,

When I read the name I thought it would be a play on the word BARE. At 57 I am the quintessential dirty old man
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11   #57

Boat: 42SS' Carver 'Bear Essentials II'

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Bear Essentials,

When I read the name I thought it would be a play on the word BARE. At 57 I am the quintessential dirty old man
Well......

It does have a Vargas girl....

Not commenting beyond that

CHEERS!
Bear Essentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45   #58

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
StrathBelle

My screen name... well it's my name. Boring!

My boat name... STRATHBELLE

Strath: A wide, flat river valley.
Belle: A popular, attractive girl or woman, especially the most attractive one of a group.

The most attractive girl of the river valley.

My boat was built and named La Salle in 1914. But it didn't stick. What wasn't named La Salle in those days. Too "dime a dozen". Plus she was owned by a boat broker who probably had no personal interest.

In 1919 she was purchased by her first real owner. Her name was changed to Strathbell . Don't know if this was a misspelling of her current name because she was up north and they didn't know that a Southern Belle had an "e" at the end. Or if it had to do with an actual "bell". Perhaps the ringing bell of the river?

In 1957 the "e" was added to her name. I hope it is never changed again. Her name fits her beautifully.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37   #59

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Great thread,
Screen name and boat name are the same
Rhosyn Mor is welsh; means Ocean Rose.
All my boats have been named after flowers for some reason
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38   #60
Eternal Member