Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 10:46   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Screen & Boat names?

I am always reading personalized license plates, and trying to imagine who this person is.

My screen name comes from the names of my 2 boats. Imagine is the catamaran, and Frolic was my 30 footer I recently sold...imagine2frolic

Frolic had her name when I bought her in 90. I was going to change her name, and even removed her name from the stern. I just couldn't bring myself to place a different name on her, so she always remained Frolic.

Imagine started out as Murmel. Which in German means marble. The previous owner built her in Berlin along with the boatyard Booteswerft. I was going to keep the name Murmel, but the owner and I had a disagreement, so I decided to change her name. I changed her look almost completely along with her name. Imagine comes from the song by John Lennon.

How did you come to name your vessel, or yourself as in your screen name?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 11:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think Frolic is a great name for a boat meant for pleasure.

My future boat will be named Marinella. It is my wifes name and it coincidently means "from the sea". I think it is a very pretty name as well and sailboats just need a pretty name because they are pretty. This to me is a perfect name because of the triple meaning.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 11:18   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post

How did you come to name your vessel, or yourself as in your screen name?
David_Old_Jersey?....well, my name is David and I'm from Jersey. Not known for my imagination

(I added "Old" as I figure with a large US membership folk would assume I was from New Jersey and I have met folk from New Jersey who never even realised it was named after somewhere else )

Boat name is "Perro" (Spanish for Dog) and is how she was named in 1970.
(But she is in the process of getting renamed to "Wayluya" after me late wife - still working on the ceremony )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 11:27   #4
Eternal Member

David,

I bought Frolic at Pete's Harbor in Redwood City. I miss sailing the bay. I can't wait to get Imagine there to sail on a beam reach from the city front to Angel Island.

D.O.J........woof woof

Both will be pretty names.............thanks
Old 23-02-2008, 12:53   #5

Boat: Stevens 47
My screen-name comes from the fact that although I am a Kiwi I spent years in Sydney too...and when I moved to the US of course everyone here knows where Australia is but few know where NZ is so I was always tagged as an aussie . The name Rangi is a Maori name for either a girl or a boy and means various things...Sky,...Music...Heaven,....Wind....all good things....and so the "roo" got tagged on as an amalgam of the places I had lived....Rangiroo... a skippy kiwi....

I always thought Rangiwai was a great name for a boat...Sky/Music/Heaven/Wind/Water(wai=water)....five elements of great sailing!!!!......very noice.....
Old 23-02-2008, 14:06   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Knottybuoyz

Many years ago when my son, Daniel, was small (probably 3 yrs old), we'd ride around town on the bicycle (him in a child seat w/helmet). One day we happened to run across Rev. Jack Urquart. Jack was an old family friend, ex Coastie and the United Church Minister who christened Daniel. We stopped for a little conversation and Jacked asked Daniel "what are you fella's up to?". Daniel replied: "We're cruising for chicks!". Jack replied: "Well aren't you a couple of naughty boys!" Totally embarrassed I had to bid Jack farewell and ride on. Out of the mouths of babes!

Our first boat was named "KnottyBuoyz" after that series of events and the name has stuck for some reason. Our current boat was renamed "KnottyBuoyz II" from "Lazy Susan" with the appropriate christening cermony. I don't think we'll continue the tradition to our next boat though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2778  
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 15:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
David,

I bought Frolic at Pete's Harbor in Redwood City. I miss sailing the bay. I can't wait to get Imagine there to sail on a beam reach from the city front to Angel Island.

D.O.J........woof woof

Both will be pretty names.............thanks
Imagine,
Isn't the Bay the perfect place for such a thing?

I have done that reach myself on many a blustery day into the shadow of Angel Island. Sometimes I wish it was possible to fast forward to the time when I get my new boat with which to do the same thing again.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 16:33   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Both my boat and screen name is Santana. This was the name of Bogart's personal boat and the name he used for boats in some of his movies. The name comes from the Santa Ana wind that blows on the west coast of the USA.
I wrote to Lauren Bacall back when I was building my boat and asked if it would be okay with her if I named my boat after Mr. Bogarts boat. She replied and said that she would enjoy it. I have the letter framed next to my document locker.
Mr Bogart was an avid sailor and enjoyed going out every chance he got. If I remember right, he only lost one race in the time he had the boat. all races were informal. Just get out there and challenge another yacht to a race.
My boats designed for cruising not racing, so at least I won't tarnish the originals record...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 18:26   #9

Great post! I love hearing how everyone comes up with their vessel names. So creative!

Out boat was called "Alchemy" by the previous owner... it didn't seem to fit the vessel. I went on a search to find something that resonated with us and with the boat itself. We found "Trikona", which is a sanskrit word that is represented by an upside-down triangle (Add a mast and you have your child-hood art version of a sailboat) ... this image and name also represents water and divine passage. We thought it was perfect.

Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 19:19   #10

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
My screen name comes from a buffett song, started using it along time ago as a password and it evolved into a screen name.

Current boat name is Nina, which is what my grandson calls my wife. Last boat was "Bad Habits", my son picked that from one of his favorite songs.

Bill
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 19:59   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Teacher! ...leave those kids alone

My screen name which loosely describes the open ocean zone is pretty much a good comment on my mindset and past career. It also fits in with a criticism I once got in grade 9 from our school principal. He doubled as our math teacher and had this annual tradition of prophesising publicly to his math class his prediction of how we would turn out in life. Some of it was really cruel but I got off fairly lucky when he said that “despite my academic talents I would not amount to much because I am by nature, “a drifter”.

Years later at a school reunion when he complemented me on my accomplishments I reminded him of his criticism, but kindly added “thank you for teaching me how to calculate my Set and Rate”.

He always was an ass!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 20:06   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Teacher! ...leave those kids alone

Sorry double post!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 00:10   #13

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
My boat name came with the boat from the last owner. Scallywag is a bad man. Being a lazy sort of fellow, I thought if I left the name I would only have to add the hailing port for documentation purposes. Well, I can not remember if I had to scrap off the name and put it back on the boat or not. I told you I was lazy. I do not think that much because it takes to much energy to remember.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 04:39   #14

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Don't Mess With Success

Holding Pattern is the original name from 1974. She and I are the same year...
She circumnavigated right before we were so lucky to find her, and the previous owners had been living aboard for 20 years, so theirs was a work of love.
We had other names in mind, Nowhere Quickly and Barrel of Monkeys but with her history we couldn't do it.
It's a good thing we didn't...we've met dozens of people who know the boat and were friends with John & Aleta ergo they are friends with us. People have given us pictures of her in South Africa, told us stories about the former owners in Australia, and we've been invited to dinner with people who wanted to share stories of shared adventure in the Caribbean.
So, 3 years later, we've taken on the identity of HP. As in "You're the kids from HP."

Oh yeah, bridge tenders LOVE us... "We'll open soon Cap, can you stay in a Holding Pattern?"
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 08:10   #15
Eternal Member

Santana,

I was able to tour Santana before she was bought, and refurbished. She is an excellent beauty, and the letter from Lauren is really special

I hope more join in. T6his is a non confrontational thread that is very entertaining. It also lets us get to know our neighbors here a wee bit more. Thanks for posting....I love the stories

Tags
boat names