Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 06:29   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Lots of good points being made but I will also play devils advocate and support the idea of public awareness being extremely important in the preservation of the environment and protection of these animals in the wild.

I do not condone making them "perform" things that they do not naturally do in the wild. A circus is not what is needed but a forum to show people the majesty of these creatures acting as natural as possible is beneficial. What this whale did while tragic is perfectly natural for them as an apex predator. Granted it is usually a seal or other whale they are tossing around. There is always acceptable risk when working with whales or around other wild animals. This risk of death was acceptable by the lady that was killed and she would say that as well I believe.

Public aquariums and zoos can be a really good thing or a tragedy depending on how they are run.

I wish we could just leave them in their natural environment as well but ignorance of their existence leads to maltreatment by humans whether it be over fishing, pollution or fear.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:17   #32

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I echo some of the above comments. Sea World does a pretty good job of doing the "right" thing, most of the time. They are first on the scene with their experts on groundings, etc. These whales are not captured by them. This whale in particular was an orphan from a park in BC. It's just not possible in most cases to rehabilitate captive animals.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:28   #33

Boat: a sailing boat
Almost an identical accident to the fatal one in Canary Islands last year, and also in 'aqua world' sort of venue, also killer whale involved. Here too, the whale was believed to have attacked another trainer some time earlier.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:36   #34
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
. It's just not possible in most cases to rehabilitate captive animals.
Im not sure if I buy that- These are said to be one of the smartest animals and seems to me they could be trained to learn how to get there food, -
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:36   #35

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I echo some of the above comments. Sea World does a pretty good job of doing the "right" thing, most of the time. They are first on the scene with their experts on groundings, etc. These whales are not captured by them. This whale in particular was an orphan from a park in BC. It's just not possible in most cases to rehabilitate captive animals.
Of course these animals are captured. Seaworld is the single largest capturer of whales. The whale in question killed a trainer at that park in Canada and was transferred down to the Orlando park, where it killed a homeless man in 1999 before drowning Ms Brancheau. I'm not sure what you consider "the right thing". Seaworld was wholy absent in the contraversy involving the U.S. navy's use of long range sonar which resulted in the deaths of scores of dolphin the the PNW, the Bahamas, the Canaries and other areas. Seaworld does occasionally rescue an injured manatee. Seaworld reps show up at groundings and similar situations where whales are trapped, but in my opinion that is more PR than anything else.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:41   #36

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
According to the news, my sympathy goes out to the THREE FAMILIES that have lost a family member buthis KILLER WHALE. You would think that after the first death that SEA WORLD would have have released it back to the wild or put it away from harm..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:43   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
SeaWorld is something of a chain, with marine mammal parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio. They currently maintain a stock of 20 orcas.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:58   #38

Im sad for the whale like some said and I wont insert a "I feel for the ..." .Why is it that people have to add that to everything now adays.its a real turn off when people have to lie when a death is popularized via media.
kredix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:16   #39

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I can't see the advantages of making people "aware" by abusing the animals. It doesn't do anything to missinform people. That would be like saying having slaves would make people aware of human rights.
As someone suggested, rent the movie "Cove".
Much can be done to bring awareness without being a part of the problem.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:37   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
I don't think anyone here says that the animals should be "abused" to make people "aware." You are using a red herring argument which is poor debate and a fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
I can't see the advantages of making people "aware" by abusing the animals. It doesn't do anything to missinform people. That would be like saying having slaves would make people aware of human rights.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:51   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
In this case I believe abuse is subjective. I'm not sure where the misinformation comes from but I don't believe these parks are disseminating it. For example, I grew up in Miami and we have had the Miami Seaquarium since the mid fifties. Since then millions of people have passed through it's gates and millions of school children have spent many field trips going there learning about the oceans around them. The impact of the "Flipper" TV series filmed there had on many and still does to this day. Children who have grown up to donate millions and now vote to protect the oceans because of such field trips. I don't know of anywhere else that so many people could have gone to be educated and influenced for the rest of their lives about our oceans and the life in it. I'd hardly compare that to human slavery.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:56   #42

Many here have debated the pros of keeping orcas and other wild intellegent animals captive. Some even support the facilities that do.
The only red herring argument is the one that somehow justifies the wrongdoing.
To support such institutions is to support their practices.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:00   #43

Boat: Bristol 29
The only awareness that Seaworld is promulgating is that if killer whales are "taught" to perform tricks like a pet monkey, people will come in droves to watch. There is no awareness of these animals as intelligent creatures, of their natural habitat, of the external forces that threaten their future (Seaworld being one of those). Seaworld is not performing some benevolent, humane, philanthropic strategy toward whales.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:01   #44

Oh, I see. So if there was an institution that had slaves for all to see and learn about it would somehow be good?
Hmmm...Think of all the money that could be raised for the cause. Wow.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:05   #45

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Conrad I think you should use the quote feature...Im getting confused as to whom your addressing...Surly not Floridawriter in this case Im sure...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote